Headset problems

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Headset problems
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 8, 2011 at 11:04 Quote
I am having problems fiting the headset on my Mongoose chamer 2010 frame.

The frame is set to fit a interal headset and that is the type i am using.

But when i put the bearings on the frame they dont slide in like they normal do.

This is a frame from a friend and when he had it he had this headset.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9069

but i am not 100% sure that was the right one

so could you pinkbikers help me out on what headset to get

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 11:43 Quote
have you tried tapping the outer ring on the bearing cartridge, lightly with a hammer, also check the headtube for ovalising

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 11:46 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
have you tried tapping the outer ring on the bearing cartridge, lightly with a hammer, also check the headtube for ovalising
no i will try it.How would i check for ovalising?

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 11:50 Quote
if you have a compass that locks (like the geared ones, then i would use that, and set tit to the internal diameter of the headtube at one point just by opening it up until it is fairly tight , and spin it to check for gaps, and dents, but that is just one way, i am sure initiative should kick in to help you, also pay attention to lightly in my last post, as well as outer ring

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 11:52 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
if you have a compass that locks (like the geared ones, then i would use that, and set tit to the internal diameter of the headtube at one point just by opening it up until it is fairly tight , and spin it to check for gaps, and dents, but that is just one way, i am sure initiative should kick in to help you, also pay attention to lightly in my last post, as well as outer ring
i dont have a compass. Frown .Yeh i wont hit it to hard

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 11:55 Quote
you get the idea of what i am saying though, it isnt the hardest thing to check

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 11:57 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
you get the idea of what i am saying though, it isnt the hardest thing to check
yeh guess i will just look for major bends etc

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 13:41 Quote
only need to be small bends, but you can use a ruler if you want, i was just giving quite an easy method, even using the cartridge, because it is tapered, if you look from underneath/above you may see bulges in the cup

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016866
Mobile Version of Website