Ibis Mojo SLr vs Santa Cruz TRc vs Yeti ASR5

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ibis Mojo SLr vs Santa Cruz TRc vs Yeti ASR5
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 10, 2011 at 22:19 Quote
Hi,
I am trying to decide on a new bike, mostly XC/Trail ( occasional AM capabilities +)
I have narrowed it down to Santa Cruz Blur TRc (127mm rear; vpp; 120-140 front), Ibis Mojo SL-r (140mm rear; dw; 140-160 front)) and Yeti ASR5 (127mm rear; 120-140 front).
(Even though I will like to try a SC Tallboy as well, before I make a final decision)
I am 5'9" 135lbs. I own a AM Norco LT 08 which I will be selling, never liked it too much, felt like it was overkill for me...)
Which one of these bikes would you pick and why?
Thanks a lot for your advice.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 4:28 Quote
[Quote="jazzanova"]Hi,
I am trying to decide on a new bike, mostly XC/Trail ( occasional AM capabilities +)
I have narrowed it down to Santa Cruz Blur TRc (127mm rear; vpp; 120-140 front), Ibis Mojo SL-r (140mm rear; dw; 140-160 front)) and Yeti ASR5 (127mm rear; 120-140 front).
(Even though I will like to try a SC Tallboy as well, before I make a final decision)
I am 5'9" 135lbs. I own a AM Norco LT 08 which I will be selling, never liked it too much, felt like it was overkill for me...)
Which one of these bikes would you pick and why?
Thanks a lot for your advice.[/Quot

I am in the same position, can't decide between a ASR 5 or a SC TRC.
I have a Blur Xc at the moment, tried it with 120 f from day 1 thought it was good, but felt it could go up hill better and be more racy with 100 so put on in and it still flys and can be ridden quite aggressively still, but feel there are times where you need a bit more travel, so now in the same predicament as you.
It would be great if someone did a back to back review of them both for comparison to see which comes out best, pros cons of each?
I have a funny feeling that for 2012 Yeti may make a few changes??? such as adding dropper tabs on the ttube? it woudl be typical that i buy an 11 and they change it, just like sc just did after i bought an xcc!
Good luck in your decision, i need to go find a demo on them both, but thats normally v hard in UK!

Posted: May 25, 2011 at 21:31 Quote
Exactly "dropper tabs"... Why are they on the aluminum version, but absent on the carbon?

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 6:49 Quote
The ASR5 for sure, although i have not riden the SC the Yeti is a dream!

Posted: May 26, 2011 at 14:09 Quote
I was wanting a santa cruz blur LTc or a yeti asr5 alloy and everyone tells me to go for the Yeti 5 alloy. There's less pivot bearings on the yeti, and a bigger/stiffer dogbone mount on the shock, causing it to handle better due to the increase in lateral stiffness over the SC.

Posted: May 31, 2011 at 19:44 Quote
Pretty sure Mitch Ropelato just won the US Open Single Slalom on Santa Cruz Blur TRC... must rip.

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 0:23 Quote
I've ordered an Ibis SL-R (silver) with the XX group set ... will be ready in two weeks so will let you know. I considered the SC but decided that SC was becoming too main-stream (I see so many in our biking group) so went with the IBIS. It looks great in the photos and is supposed to weigh just 20.5 lbs. So, I hope I've made the right choice (if not it's an expensive screw up ... very expensive).

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 1:02 Quote
I would wait for the new 2012 Yeti's. They got something new in the coming. Should be more info about it tommorow so stay tuned Salute

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 9:07 Quote
hasher wrote:
I've ordered an Ibis SL-R (silver) with the XX group set ... will be ready in two weeks so will let you know. I considered the SC but decided that SC was becoming too main-stream (I see so many in our biking group) so went with the IBIS. It looks great in the photos and is supposed to weigh just 20.5 lbs. So, I hope I've made the right choice (if not it's an expensive screw up ... very expensive).

ibis won't dissapoint you, i have a (2012) Mojo HD 160 on order... (5 weeks till release) demo'd a slr with xtr trail kit and i was impressed beyond belief

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 23:32 Quote
YetiSuperX wrote:
I would wait for the new 2012 Yeti's. They got something new in the coming. Should be more info about it tommorow so stay tuned Salute

Yeti SB-66? Smile

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 23:40 Quote
I tested a Tallboy 2 weeks ago and ended up in some cactus bush... After about 45min ride Smile 2 flat 29er tires, so that was it for me for the day. My first time on a 29er not very encouraging.
The more research I do the more all over the place I am. I really like the looks and design of the ASR5.
I am also considering to go back to HT, Yeti Big Top maybe? Smile
So many choices, so little opportunities to test ride all of them...

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 23:54 Quote
hasher wrote:
20.5 lbs? very impressive... Did you get 2x10? The chain rings are made of 1 piece of steel, 9hours in cnc Smile
I saw Brian Lopes SLr just after it was built (my LBS takes care of his bikes) and it looked very nice. I believe it had XT parts, if I remember correctly..., probably a little heavier than yours Smile
ENJOY IT!!!

Posted: Jun 7, 2011 at 0:59 Quote
jazzanova wrote:
YetiSuperX wrote:

Yeti SB-66? Smile

Damn that's a nice bike!! But probably not for this kind of riding Rolleyes

Posted: Oct 21, 2011 at 2:34 Quote
has anyone gotten a mojo SLR yet? i ordered one on April 15th and waited.......

so I ordered the HD instead and cancelled the SLR....HD is nice! had it built as the 160 2012 fox kashima (kharisma) however decided it was a litte too much for xc riding...thus converted to 150 front float 140 rp23 retro OEM (paid $700 for the conversion which is less than I paid for the 2012 fork i had on there) xtr drivetrain, formula brakes, syntace bar and seatpost, fizik alliante saddle, thomson stem...carbon haven wheels.....

the tires i have are a bit heavy...hans damps 2.35s.....only if I could find a tubeless tire that did not weigh a ton...tried running racing ralphs tubeless and have blown out/shredded sidewalls within the first ride after install....

looking forward to seeing some pics of a rider owned SLR....it should be nice..

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7198642/

Posted: Oct 21, 2011 at 11:52 Quote
Maxis x mark rear, advantage front for xc. Another set of flows on hope hubs and high rollers all round super tacky front 60a rear, job done

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013964
Mobile Version of Website