How to build a Rock Garden especially when working with small rocks

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How to build a Rock Garden especially when working with small rocks
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 12, 2011 at 19:20 Quote
Hey guys me an d some other friends were working on a trail and were were building a rocky section, however the thing we don't know is that should it be lose or not. Because we just put a bunch of rocks in the area so its pretty lose. Any help would be appreciated.

O+
Posted: May 22, 2011 at 20:09 Quote
small rocks are no good, loose doesn't really do anything, . Get big rocks, start with the biggest one you can find (if one person can move it it's too small) and 3/4 bury it, then work your way up laying them sorta like brick and semi-burying them

Posted: May 22, 2011 at 20:16 Quote
any tips on how to carry really big stones cuz we have to carry the stones from a pretty far distance

O+
Posted: May 22, 2011 at 20:21 Quote
wheel barrow or pushing/rolling it

Posted: May 22, 2011 at 20:24 Quote
hamzaq10 wrote:
any tips on how to carry really big stones cuz we have to carry the stones from a pretty far distance
big steel bars that you can wedge under it and get leverage on them, thats for like 500+ rocks

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 12:43 Quote
alright and should i arrange them in some particular order or not

O+
Posted: May 23, 2011 at 13:08 Quote
they don't need to be in a specific order just trow them in it's a rock garden! the lines will just naturaly evolve as u ride/ build more into it.!

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 13:24 Quote
you could just re-route your trail to a rocky section, would be a lot easier than making one 2 cents

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 16:21 Quote
true that but there are no rocky sections where we are building any other tips would be appreciated

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 17:31 Quote
you could build a wooden frame and fill it if all you got to work with is small rocks, i have seen it done, its not the best but works sufficiently as a rock garden...

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 17:50 Quote
JayTom20 wrote:
you could build a wooden frame and fill it if all you got to work with is small rocks, i have seen it done, its not the best but works sufficiently as a rock garden...
ya wooden frame with qwickrete then fill with small rocks thats kinda like what they did at joyride 150

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 20:50 Quote
ive never done this sorta thing on a trail, but id just dig out a area like a few inches deep fill in with rocks then spread dirt over it between the rocks..

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 12:21 Quote
ya thats what we are kinda building just putting some rocks and putting dirt between them so they stay in place when it rains and the solid hardens up

Anymore helpful tips would be nice though! Smile

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 12:35 Quote
I'd say start with big rocks, like said before bury them, but the technique we use which works is layout all the rocks so they fit snugly together- with as little gaps against each other. Then sounds wierd but bury them, with few inches of mud on top, this then helps the mud seep through and make it more stable over time. Be sure in a few weeks depending on how much you ride it'll be exposed and hopefully set in tight. But thats with big rocks...

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 12:44 Quote
ya we have some big natural rocks and some big rocks that we carried over but some of hem are medium sized and move around a bit when ridden on

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015052
Mobile Version of Website