Port Moody Bike shop - Seriously? This is customer service?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Port Moody Bike shop - Seriously? This is customer service?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 12, 2011 at 20:17 Quote
I don't know if this is the right forum to post in, as I only post rarely, but PB can fix me good if it isn't. And I need to rant.

So... I'm not one to call out shops. Well, I'll call 'em out for great service - like Different Bikes Burnaby and Northshore Bike Shop, who are ALWAYS awesome. But not for lameness.

But this one really got me offended.

I'm out riding with my kids and wife. Aged 5 and 7 (kids... not wife).

We're playin' around, hitting whatever little features we can find on our way to Dairy Queen in Port Moody.

Suddenly, bang! Chain blows on my bike. Not carrying any tools. About 2km from home. Crap. WAIT! IN LUCK! The new PoMo Caps Westwood is across the street and sign says OPEN! Jackpot.

The Mrs and kids take my wallet and carry on to DQ about 4 blocks down. I run across the street and ask... "Hey, is it possible to borrow a chain tool?" Mechanic looked occupied, and I had no cash, and can fix a chain in a couple minutes.

She reports to me that they can't give me a chain breaker. It's their policy to not lend out tools. I was gonna' fix the chain right there. In front of her eyes. She was not busy. But policy is policy. I leave the store, noting that I won't be back, meet the family and begin the 30 minute walk home.

Thanks Caps. Now I know why most call you Craps.

To verify... I call Caps Westwood in Coquitlam and give them the same scenario - broken chain, kids in tow, no cash. They say, NO, it's policy... NO LENDING TOOLS. So, it would seem they'd rather strand potential customers.

In a day and age where LBS's struggle against e-retailers, their big opportunity is gaining customer loyalty. Caps had a window of opportunity here. I think they blew it.

Am I wrong? Curb me if I am. But I was choked.

Posted: May 12, 2011 at 21:02 Quote
I think its pretty rediculous that they won't lend a stupid tool.

Posted: May 12, 2011 at 21:43 Quote
wow they are retards bike shops are a dying thing now a days and the only thing that they can really offer is customer servis

Posted: May 12, 2011 at 22:10 Quote
to be fair as an auto tech.. I know how bad it can be lending tools when they don't come back. however if you were fixing the bike right there in the store... seems a little silly.

what sucks even more is I was right in that area in my mini cab.. with a chain breaker sitting on my dash board. to bad I didnt; see you.

Posted: May 12, 2011 at 22:26 Quote
i used to work in a bike shop and it does make sence to not lend tools out, no offence to you or anybody competent enough to use bicycle tools but... how are we/they to know that you are competent enough to not break a tool??? especially a chain tool, i know ive broken more than one whilst rushing to fix a chain

Posted: May 12, 2011 at 22:59 Quote
JayTom20 wrote:
i used to work in a bike shop and it does make sence to not lend tools out, no offence to you or anybody competent enough to use bicycle tools but... how are we/they to know that you are competent enough to not break a tool??? especially a chain tool, i know ive broken more than one whilst rushing to fix a chain
+1
you dont go to an auto shop and ask to borrow their tools to change your oil, honestly its that attitude of yours that many people have that is really hurting the LBS.

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 6:53 Quote
I work in one. We would let you borrow a small tool like that.

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 9:02 Quote
I think the autoshop comparison is over-used in bike shop comparisons. I get where this argument comes from. But, I called a buddy that owns an auto shop and he said: "engine hoist or code tester, no way... jack for a flat, socket set, screwdrivers... absolutely."

I didn't ask for a workstand, a truing stand, or a headset press. I asked for a chain tool.

See where I'm going with this?

But I get you on, 'what is the limit'. I'd say a 5 minute fix in a pinch will buy you a long term customer. Lending me access to the shop might be over the line.

Also, I know at least 3 shops in Vancouver and most shops in Whistler that have dedicated basic loaner tools, so as not to ruin the shop quality tools by gaper-use. I worked at 2 shops over 9 years, and we never hesitated to lend out tools that cost us less than $10. It bought way more than $10 in long-term good will.

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 13:37 Quote
Its crazy that you where so offended that you posted the same story here and on NSMB.....

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 14:04 Quote
I've spent the last 10 years working in shops. The company line at both was "don't loan tools". My view is if someone needs an Allen wrench or or something like that, they can use it. If you had rolled into my shop, broken chain, no cash and I wasn't busy, I would have fixed it for you, at no cost. I'd rather give away the $5.50 in labor to make someone's life easier than have someone complain online about it.

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 16:55 Quote
So you give your wife your wallet, which presumably contains some cash, or a debit/credit card. Then you go into a shop you've never been in and ask for free stuff?

Doesn't sound like they are terrible people.

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 17:16 Quote
jettamike wrote:
So you give your wife your wallet, which presumably contains some cash, or a debit/credit card. Then you go into a shop you've never been in and ask for free stuff?

Doesn't sound like they are terrible people.
QFT
I used to work at a shop, NEVER did we lend tools out, ever. 'cept for the tire pump.
For small stuff like that, we might do it real quick for you, provided we're not busy. Otherwise you can wait for a little bit until one of the mechs had a minute.

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 at 6:54 Quote
Caps in Port Moody is just like you said... "Craps". I was in the market for getting a new bike for my wife this spring and the sales staff had no idea what made a bike more suitable for different types of riding. "What is a head tube angle?" I struggled to hold their hand for about 20mins before I gave up and left. I spent $2500 at Steed in North Van instead!

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 7:40 Quote
Why do you feel entitled to service, or anything, that you're not prepared to pay for?

Come on, grow up....

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 8:08 Quote
I know this is an OLD thread but it was revived today and while checking out the auto-alert about it, I decided to chime in...

No tools lending is an INDUSTRY wide practice, its the exception when shops do it, not the rule... there's a high percentage of times when the tool doesn't come back... also, you're going into a business that makes a good chunk of their income from doing services for which THEY have invested in the tooling to accomplish them, and asking to then use tools they paid for, to do a job they could be paid to do.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013011
Mobile Version of Website