Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 0:12 Quote
With giant you get exceptional value for money just stick with the trance or reign something with the maestro rear end, I heard the stance is bouncy in the rear

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 8:12 Quote
hello to all. new member and beginner to biking. 62 years old, 6ft 0inches 225lbs. have been riding dirt bikes since a teenager and have the knees to prove it. looking for suggestions for a decent quality hardtail under 1500 dollars thanks

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 8:49 Quote
goonride49 wrote:
looking for suggestions for a decent quality hardtail under 1500 dollars thanks
You looking for more of an XC or longer-travel trail/all mountain hardtail? Right around that 1-1.5k price point are some very nice hardtails... think lightweight frames, 100-140mm air forks and SLX/XT components.

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 12:03 Quote
goonride49 wrote:
hello to all. new member and beginner to biking. 62 years old, 6ft 0inches 225lbs. have been riding dirt bikes since a teenager and have the knees to prove it. looking for suggestions for a decent quality hardtail under 1500 dollars thanks

Hello and welcome, for around 1500 you can get a decently equipped bIke, my personal recommendation is a Raleigh Tokul but you can't go wrong with a trek, giant or even a diamondback for entry level. Just get something you'll enjoy and get out there

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 at 13:56 Quote
Looking to get back into riding after a 4-6 year hiatus. I was riding a ton of BMX at the time, less MTB and occasionally dabbled in DH in CO in college. Now that I'm back in Southern California I'd like to get back on a bike and ride some local trails (mostly south/central Orange County).

A coworker can hook up a pro form on Canyon and Santa Cruz, still figuring out what the discount is. I'm between the Canyon Strive AL 6, the 2017 Commencal Meta AM v4.2 or a Santa Cruz Bronson. What's everyone's opinion out of these few bikes? Also was looking at the Vitus Sommet but it was 1x10, not 1x11 (not sure if this is a huge concern or not).

Would like to get something suited for enduro / all mountain. Looking for a decent entry-level bike, so I'm willing to consider any and all brands. Specifically looking at bikes ith 27.5 wheel sets and a 1x11 drive train.

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 5:47 Quote
Adeptsckness wrote:
goonride49 wrote:

Hello and welcome, for around 1500 you can get a decently equipped bIke, my personal recommendation is a Raleigh Tokul but you can't go wrong with a trek, giant or even a diamondback for entry level. Just get something you'll enjoy and get out there

looking for more XC than downhill. have dealers for trek, specialized and kona locally. any advice to a price range to look in? i am ok with a 1500-2000 bike, but would i do better to buy less expensive and do some upgrades?

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 15:26 Quote
goonride49 wrote:
Adeptsckness wrote:
goonride49 wrote:

looking for more XC than downhill. have dealers for trek, specialized and kona locally. any advice to a price range to look in? i am ok with a 1500-2000 bike, but would i do better to buy less expensive and do some upgrades?

Bro honestly start with something reasonable grab a trek hardtail you can't go wrong, then just upgrade it as you wear out or break parts in my opinion it's usually the rider that needs some uprgading before the bike better bike doesn't always mean better rider to an extent. For your price range you got tons of options a nice trek 27.5 hardtail will be plenty bike for a while and if you ever want to sell it to go up to full sus it will hold its value nicely.

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 20:59 Quote
Hey gents heres my deal. Years ago I was a very good rider. Bombing double blacks with not a care in the world and hitting the biggest jumps I could find. Joined the military and between overseas stations with neither the space or resources and then work ups and deployments at my next one I haven't ridden in about 5 years. Even so I could get on a bike today for sure and be a intermediate rider. After a couple weeks I think I could be back on the double blacks. I was looking at the Pipedream Moxxie as it looks excellent and fun and I personally have always been a fan of hard tails. I've made a lot of loud mouths look silly on their very expensive full suspensions back in the day just by actually knowing my bike and how to ride it. On the other hand I want to really immerse myself back in and with the riding community and land we have here in PNW I think I might fast outgrow and be limited by a hard tail. Im into fast turns, big jumps, and style so free ride is what id say Im looking for. Ive been out of this for a while so I dont know which suspension ranges to be looking for to tackle big stuff. Pedaling will be a thing though especially around tiger mountain and other places here and also I know for sure I want a 27.5. Would love some help and direction.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 14:33 Quote
Hello there, I am a beginner rider who has ridden a couple times at local trails. I’m now looking into buying my own bike to start getting more into MTB as I am already falling in love with the sport. I am going to be riding this bike on single track trails in Central New York and also will be riding it at our local ski slope which opens up MTB trails in the summer through their woods (Greek Peak). I was looking at mainly hardtail bikes as my budget is under $1000. I was looking at a DB Overdrive Comp or DB Hook. I am 5ft 6in and 170lbs. I’am looking at this bike to last me the next 2-3 years before I either upgrade parts or a new bike. I am just looking for a great quality bike for fun and challenging trails for under $1000.

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 15:24 Quote
jpwebster wrote:
Hello there, I am a beginner rider who has ridden a couple times at local trails. I’m now looking into buying my own bike to start getting more into MTB as I am already falling in love with the sport. I am going to be riding this bike on single track trails in Central New York and also will be riding it at our local ski slope which opens up MTB trails in the summer through their woods (Greek Peak). I was looking at mainly hardtail bikes as my budget is under $1000. I was looking at a DB Overdrive Comp or DB Hook. I am 5ft 6in and 170lbs. I’am looking at this bike to last me the next 2-3 years before I either upgrade parts or a new bike. I am just looking for a great quality bike for fun and challenging trails for under $1000.

Welcome bro, If your looking for a top hard tail there's many out there DB is decent but I prefer Raleigh their Tokul series is on point for a all mountain type bike the frame geometry is what sold me. I ride a Tokul 1 and it's near bulletproof and I'm a bigger dude about 225 so it should have no problems with a smaller rider as well. But don't focus too much on a certain brand grab something reasonably priced and you have local dealers for support. Most entry level hard tails are pretty similar in specs

Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 17:27 Quote
Unless I'm missing something... Raleigh doesn't have the Tokul, or many other bikes for that matter. DB and Raleigh are owned by the same company; somewhat similar. DB's got a pretty great selection, even some full squish. Otherwise, there's always the Talon/Rockhopper/Marlin whatever offerings from the LBS.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2018 at 17:58 Quote
I believe this is the Raleigh Tokul he was referring to.
http://raleigh-canada.ca/tokul-3

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 0:49 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Unless I'm missing something... Raleigh doesn't have the Tokul, or many other bikes for that matter. DB and Raleigh are owned by the same company; somewhat similar. DB's got a pretty great selection, even some full squish. Otherwise, there's always the Talon/Rockhopper/Marlin whatever offerings from the LBS.

Raleigh does have the Tokul line but for whatever reason it's not listed on the American website. All the bikes you mentioned are definitely worth recommending but the only main difference I find is the frame geo Raleigh smashed it in my opinion, the other bikes mentioned all have that annoying straight top tube but entry level is very similar in build for the most part. I'm not brand loyal I just loved the Tokul from the first ride it's much better to shred than a talon or marlin never tried a rockhopper though. The main thing to look for is like you said whatever you can get from your LBS that is my main thing because all bikes break and fixing them is usually well beyond me also some shops even offer free tune ups for life is your purchase from them so it's a win win.

Posted: Feb 26, 2018 at 0:49 Quote
blazekelly wrote:
I believe this is the Raleigh Tokul he was referring to.
http://raleigh-canada.ca/tokul-3

''Tis good sir

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015947
Mobile Version of Website