Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 8:17 Quote
most modern bikes have quite long effective top tube length (this term represents the imaginary 'old school' top tube length) depending on your actual height and arm span you may find a large or xl fit.

YouHadMeAtDrugs wrote:
You'd probably be looking at an xl in most manufacturers books. Something to keep in mind is that components can easily be upgraded incrementally (so you don't notice you've spent $5000 in upgrades) as you progress.
What you should look for in components to start out are
a)air suspension
as much as people seem to love coil suspension in higher end crowds, my experiences with low end coil suspension has been very unsatisfying.
b)clutch derailleur
this is pretty hard to avoid on a modern bike, and with good reason. It does a lot of work to help avoid chain-dropping, and stops your chain from slapping your frame to bits.
c)hydraulic disc brakes
They help you stop, and you use your brakes a heck of a lot more on trails than on a road bike.

Other considerations such as bottom bracket type (i.e. BB92) are more up to personal preference, but I'm very biased and will never recommend a frame without a threaded BB shell, especially if you plan on doing your own maintenance. Following this criteria, as well as the 140-150mm travel idea, I come to a few bikes that I'd recommend.

First: Norco Sight A3 (MSRP $3600 CAD)
It's a sick bike, with a decent build to start you out and plenty of options going forward. One of the best bikes out there, and it happens to start at a decent price.

Second: Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (MSRP $3900 CAD)
Probably the hottest bike of 2018 thus far, and it deserves it with a super fresh frame, all up to date with it's geometry.
Most importantly, it's a significant rework over the previous model, so you might be able to find some 2017s still in stock, and on sale.

Third: Norco Torrent HT (MSRP $2200 CAD)
Yep, a hardtail. Lots of fun, slightly wider tires making everything more comfortable. You'll learn skills much better on a hardtail, and won't miss out on any of the enjoyment. The Torrent also comes with some more interesting suspension offerings, so you may be able to get very good performance out of a cheaper package.

Fourth: Santa Cruz Chameleon (MSRP $2350 CAD)
Big name for little money. It gets you respect, and it's also quite a decent bike. Available in 27.5+ and 29.

Honourable mention: Kona Precept 150 (MSRP $2500 CAD)
You can't argue with the price. $2500 out the door with a fully capable full sus rig is nothing to sniff at, especially considering the 1x11 drivetrain spec. Not my personal recommendation, but if you're on a serious budget it is probably your best bet (if you buy new)
MrFowl wrote:

I actually have no idea what my frame size is... On a road bike it's 57-58 cm or about 22-23 inches, but I assume it won't be the same for mtb. For the next year or so I'll be on Whidbey Island, but I plan on moving into the Green lake area at some point. I'll look into the Trance for sure.

If I had an unlimited budget, is there a "mostly-perfect" bike out there? Something I could take design cues/components/features from and try to look for in a cheaper bike? ...feels weird to know nothing about bikes again!

O+
Posted: May 29, 2018 at 4:38 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
most modern bikes have quite long effective top tube length (this term represents the imaginary 'old school' top tube length) depending on your actual height and arm span you may find a large or xl fit.

Hmmm.. After looking at the manufacturers sizes (just based off height, I'm a little over 6'), seems like I would need a large. Are there any benefits of riding a frame that's too small or too large? On road bikes I like a more aggressive posture so I would err on the side of too big, but I feel like on a mtb you would want something smaller if anything. is that right?

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 5:46 Quote
Stooping by a shop or being able to demo some bikes somewhere else should give you a pretty good idea. Just by height, you seem to be in the middle of L and XL. That said, it varies from bike to bike, and there are a few bikes that are just vastly bigger/sized differently. it's a bit of a personal preference; some like a smaller, more "nimble/maneuverable" frame, some like to err on the side of big. I don't really know of pros or cons either way.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 5:57 Quote
MrFowl wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

Hmmm.. After looking at the manufacturers sizes (just based off height, I'm a little over 6'), seems like I would need a large. Are there any benefits of riding a frame that's too small or too large? On road bikes I like a more aggressive posture so I would err on the side of too big, but I feel like on a mtb you would want something smaller if anything. is that right?

Downsizing isn´t really a common practice in this day and age. A bigger bike will give you much more room to work with and more security in the steeps or when going fast. The only downside is a slight decrease in nimbleness which is however compensated by the fact you can throw the bigger bike around easier without being thrown completely off balance. It is much more effective to learn how to utilize a slightly bigger bike than have your shortcomings in cornering technique and skill compensated for by a bike that is too short.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 9:23 Quote
right sizing it what its about. the newer geometry with long top tubes, allows a short stem to be used without cramping up the riders positioning. all that being said, sit on both L and XL bikes assuming they are set up the same (seat rails in post) , one will feel better, personal preference.

Loki87 wrote:
MrFowl wrote:
lifted-d wrote:

Downsizing isn´t really a common practice in this day and age. A bigger bike will give you much more room to work with and more security in the steeps or when going fast. The only downside is a slight decrease in nimbleness which is however compensated by the fact you can throw the bigger bike around easier without being thrown completely off balance. It is much more effective to learn how to utilize a slightly bigger bike than have your shortcomings in cornering technique and skill compensated for by a bike that is too short.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 11:29 Quote
Interesting, as the bike shops keep saying go to the smaller size. At 6'1" 34.5" inseam, I'm dead right in the middle of most L and XL. Santa Cruz I'm for sure an XL, as the L felt super cramped. But then riding the new 2019 Stumpjumpers in 29er form, the L feels a bit small, and the XL feels a bit big? I get no help from the dealers, they just say 'whatever you prefer'. i.e. basically no help. Any suggestions?

Also any feelings on the new Stumpjumper as an all around trail bike for the midwest? It felt super smooth and stable, but much more beefy than my old one.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
motard5 wrote:
Interesting, as the bike shops keep saying go to the smaller size. At 6'1" 34.5" inseam, I'm dead right in the middle of most L and XL. Santa Cruz I'm for sure an XL, as the L felt super cramped. But then riding the new 2019 Stumpjumpers in 29er form, the L feels a bit small, and the XL feels a bit big? I get no help from the dealers, they just say 'whatever you prefer'. i.e. basically no help. Any suggestions?

Also any feelings on the new Stumpjumper as an all around trail bike for the midwest? It felt super smooth and stable, but much more beefy than my old one.

The reason they do this is that the average customer expects his newly purchased bike, which cost him quite a bit of money, to instantly impress and be a game changer. A bike that is bigger feels cumbersome at first no matter what. If they push you towards the smaller size --> instant gratification. This is even more true for test rides where you do not have enough time to get used to the bigger bike.
It´s the same reasoning why a lot of manufacturers still have pretty conservative sizing recomendations. It´s hard for the customer to determine his bike is too small and that´s the reason he´s not liking it, however a bike that feels too big is easily recognized as such. So dealers and manufacturers are playing it safe on that front.

However from personal experience what feels big on the first ride feels tiny after a little while. When i first tried my downhill bike i was deciding between S/M and M/L sizes. The S/M already felt long af (compared to my old bike), the M/L i had some trouble getting around tight corners. I still went with the bigger option and now i´m looking to either get a reach adjust headset or get the next bigger L/XL size.
From my perspective, a smaller bike doesn´t have anything to offer a skilled rider while a longer bike offers stability. So you can grow into a bigger bike as a rider while a bike that felt right at first might feel a little out of its depth at a later point.
Now i´m not advocating to just always size up without any reasoning, because as lifted-d said it´s about getting the correct size not bigger or smaller, but imho it´s preferrable to lean towards the bigger option if it doesn´t feel totally unrideable. If you have a feeling you can make both sizes work for you, it´s likely you´ll outgrow the smaller one.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2018 at 19:30 Quote
Wow...Interesting. I'm really glad I asked that! Thanks a lot for the info everyone, that's something I would have had to learn the hard way ...the $2500+ hard way!

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 8:11 Quote
I have been looking at buying a full suspension bike, upgrading from my xc hardtail, I am not sure what bike to get, an enduro bike (around 160mm of travel) or a trail bike (around 140mm of travel). I ride a lot of jumps and also have to travel by road alot. Has anyone got any experience of riding on both types of bikes?

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 16:46 Quote
PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT:
For anyone looking for an amazing deal on an enduro bike, the Diamondback Mission Pro is on sale (50% OFF!) at Backcountry. Available in size M and L only. Sale price is $2500.

https://www.backcountry.com/diamondback-mission-pro-complete-mountain-bike-2017

I get nothing out of this, just thought some of you might want to know ...carry on!

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 23:57 Quote
Debating between the newfangled super capable shorter travel rig, or a bike around 160mm that could eat most everything. Specifically, in Diamondback terms, a Release vs a Mission. I could get a great deal on either: $1300 Mission 1, or a bit more expensive $1.5-2k Release 3, both 2017's in pristine condition. I have a 100mm XC hardtail, which I've been using for everything, but on my most recent trip to Duthie I felt like I was pushing the limits at times. (I was either bottoming out the fork or extremely close to it, the non-aggressive tires slipped occasionally, the lack of rear suspension made for a couple of kicks in the pants, and the high stand over posed a slight issue twice). Overall, minor things, and I love my hardtail to pieces, but it got me looking. I would like to take more advanced lines at Duthie, and maybe take a trip to Stevens (the main catalyst for my search). Either the Release or the Mission would be plenty for my typical trails, and I'm sure the Mission wouldn't be hurt any at Stevens... The question is how the Release would cope. Part of me wants to target the Mission and be done, and I know the Mission and my hardtail wouldn't overlap for uses, obviously. Razz On the other hand, the Release sounds like a great all-rounder, and it has (much) better specs overall. The 130mm rear just has me the teensiest bit worried... I did see Releases at Duthie, but I also saw many 160mm-esque bikes. Not to mention that I watched a guy case a jump, and blowing through all of his 153mm (I think) of rear travel was what saved him from quite a bit of possible pain... And Stevens is a step above Duthie. My best bet would probably be something like an Altitude... Longer travel but still very trail-friendly, splitting that capable trail/enduro difference. Unfortunately, all the Altitudes I've seen get snapped up pretty quickly, and being a size XL/XXL definitely doesn't help. I'm overthinking this... HELP! Razz

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 17:58 Quote
the release 3 looks quite aggro, if your bottoming your fork and outriding your ht either bike should be a blast. i think it depends on how the climbing is where your going to ride the most. the mission likely won't climb quite as well. though if you climb only to rip decents the mission should be a capable trail ripper and park bike.

mtbikeaddict wrote:
Debating between the newfangled super capable shorter travel rig, or a bike around 160mm that could eat most everything. Specifically, in terms, a Release vs a Mission. I could get a great deal on either: $1300 Mission 1, or a bit more expensive $1.5-2k Release 3, both 2017's in pristine condition. I have a 100mm XC hardtail, which I've been using for everything, but on my most recent trip to Duthie I felt like I was pushing the limits at times. (I was either bottoming out the fork or extremely close to it, the non-aggressive tires slipped occasionally, the lack of rear suspension made for a couple of kicks in the pants, and the high stand over posed a slight issue twice). Overall, minor things, and I love my hardtail to pieces, but it got me looking. I would like to take more advanced lines at Duthie, and maybe take a trip to Stevens (the main catalyst for my search). Either the Release or the Mission would be plenty for my typical trails, and I'm sure the Mission wouldn't be hurt any at Stevens... The question is how the Release would cope. Part of me wants to target the Mission and be done, and I know the Mission and my hardtail wouldn't overlap for uses, obviously. Razz On the other hand, the Release sounds like a great all-rounder, and it has (much) better specs overall. The 130mm rear just has me the teensiest bit worried... I did see Releases at Duthie, but I also saw many 160mm-esque bikes. Not to mention that I watched a guy case a jump, and blowing through all of his 153mm (I think) of rear travel was what saved him from quite a bit of possible pain... And Stevens is a step above Duthie. My best bet would probably be something like an Altitude... Longer travel but still very trail-friendly, splitting that capable trail/enduro difference. Unfortunately, all the Altitudes I've seen get snapped up pretty quickly, and being a size XL/XXL definitely doesn't help. I'm overthinking this... HELP! Razz

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 at 14:28 Quote
Hey guys! I'm a college student looking to get a new bike for some trail riding. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 165 pounds. I normally ride trails that are moderately flat (I go to college in Mississippi). Definitely not looking to do downhill or anything like that.

This weekend I went out to a ride day with my local bike shop and rode a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29" and rode a new 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy 27.5". I really liked the more nimble feel of the Camber and definitely liked the 29" wheels over 27.5". The Stumpjumper felt really heavy up front and I don't think I need 150mm of fork travel for the kind of riding I do. The carbon frame on the Camber was really nice but I do not think I am sold on it because of how much of a price increase that kind of frame would bring. Both bikes also had dropper posts which was really convenient and enjoyable.

I'm looking to spend up to around $2500. Some of the bikes I have been looking at are the Specialized Camber Comp, Specialized Stumpjumper ST (as to my knowledge this is the Camber in the 2019 lineup), Salsa Horsethief and the Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Would really appreciate any guidance or recommendations for similar bikes that I have not discovered yet. Thank you!

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 at 14:39 Quote
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/stance-1 fox suspension and Shimano guts. great trail bike allrounder, with some money left to take your gf out!

diggity0 wrote:
Hey guys! I'm a college student looking to get a new bike for some trail riding. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 165 pounds. I normally ride trails that are moderately flat (I go to college in Mississippi). Definitely not looking to do downhill or anything like that.

This weekend I went out to a ride day with my local bike shop and rode a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29" and rode a new 2019 Stumpjumper Comp Alloy 27.5". I really liked the more nimble feel of the Camber and definitely liked the 29" wheels over 27.5". The Stumpjumper felt really heavy up front and I don't think I need 150mm of fork travel for the kind of riding I do. The carbon frame on the Camber was really nice but I do not think I am sold on it because of how much of a price increase that kind of frame would bring. Both bikes also had dropper posts which was really convenient and enjoyable.

I'm looking to spend up to around $2500. Some of the bikes I have been looking at are the Specialized Camber Comp, Specialized Stumpjumper ST (as to my knowledge this is the Camber in the 2019 lineup), Salsa Horsethief and the Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Would really appreciate any guidance or recommendations for similar bikes that I have not discovered yet. Thank you!

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 15:03 Quote
Smile Hello, I can't decide which bike to get,I want to start with a hardtail, and I was very inclined to get the fathom 2 2018 27.5, but I was reading about bottom brackets prior to buying and found out that the fathom 2 has a press fit BB, which apparently, gives a lot of problems? from what I read. So I was looking for another bike and found that the specialized rockhopper pro and the chisel comp, have a threaded BB, but lack some features like the dropper post and tubeless tires that the fathom 2 have. So, my questions are these:

1. the fathom 2 seems like a pretty good bike for me. Is the press fit BB a deal breaker or not?
2. Are the rockhopper pro-2018 and chisel comp 2018 (around 400 bucks more expensive) better options, without the dropper post and tubeless tires? and
3. For a beginner, which of the features above would be better or, give less problems?

I very confused at this moment, and please understand, that I just don't want to spend around 1k and get something that will give me a lot of problems or cannot be upgraded.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028028
Mobile Version of Website