Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 3:37 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Have a look on CRC, they have some good deals on hardtails, i.e. Vitus and others, and usually have better components then the big brand names. Even with shipping charges, I got my Vitus 29'r for just over $ 1000.00 usd. I looked for a long time, and found it to be the best deal. Here's a link to CRC, btw, I have no affiliation with them, just a past customer.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/mountain-bikes/hardtail?f=2258
Thank you for the link. I checked the site out, bUT I need to do more research on components so I understand what's what. I'm a real newb when it comes to these kind of bikes. I grew up riding second hand wal mart specials and haven't rode in 15 years +

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
Rolltide386 wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
Have a look on CRC, they have some good deals on hardtails, i.e. Vitus and others, and usually have better components then the big brand names. Even with shipping charges, I got my Vitus 29'r for just over $ 1000.00 usd. I looked for a long time, and found it to be the best deal. Here's a link to CRC, btw, I have no affiliation with them, just a past customer.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/mountain-bikes/hardtail?f=2258
Thank you for the link. I checked the site out, bUT I need to do more research on components so I understand what's what. I'm a real newb when it comes to these kind of bikes. I grew up riding second hand wal mart specials and haven't rode in 15 years +

easy. the more cogs in the rear, the better components the rest of the bikes will have (in stock configuration)

pre 2019: (in 2019 decent = 12 speed!)
12 - very good
11 - good
10 - entry level into something decent

9 - pre decent
8 - try not to get this
7 - don't touch

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 15:38 Quote
I gave an old buddy out of state a call today. He's a manager over a bike shop. He said he could get me a 2018 Cannondale trail 3 new for $800 to my door. From the specs it looks like much more than I would have gotten. Thoughts on this bike?

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
Help me pull the trigger, I used to ride singletrack in E Washginton but now life in the Seattle area...apprarenlty bikes only have one gear up front now?

Just looking to do trail oriented riding so value efficiency over breaking my face. Still like the adrenaline bump though so something more agressive than a pure XC machine.

Looking to snap up a deep discount so if life gets in the way and I dont get out as much as I would like, I dont feel too bad.

Have it narrowd down to these, any input is appreciated (p.s. these are assuming I get a L frame, I am 5'11 with 32in pants inseam. Squat lower body, longer torso)! God help me if I am a medium, that opens a whole can of worms (other bikes at a good discount)

My LBS guy said the Yeti suspension is in a different league than the transition.

Yeti SB5 Carbon - $3800 (GX components)
Transition Scout Carbon - $3200 (GX components)

I thought I wanted a 29er but have heard around here 27.5 is more appropraite. Everytime I am about to pull the trigger I read stuff about a SC5010, hightower, tallboy, Hei Hei and on and on. There are good deals on them all.

Etc...etc...I know I just need to get a bike and ride. But any big opinions about make/mode/wheel size/frame size are 100% appreciated!

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 11:09 Quote
oldiebutanoob wrote:
Help me pull the trigger, I used to ride singletrack in E Washginton but now life in the Seattle area...apprarenlty bikes only have one gear up front now?

Just looking to do trail oriented riding so value efficiency over breaking my face. Still like the adrenaline bump though so something more agressive than a pure XC machine.

Looking to snap up a deep discount so if life gets in the way and I dont get out as much as I would like, I dont feel too bad.

Have it narrowd down to these, any input is appreciated (p.s. these are assuming I get a L frame, I am 5'11 with 32in pants inseam. Squat lower body, longer torso)! God help me if I am a medium, that opens a whole can of worms (other bikes at a good discount)

My LBS guy said the Yeti suspension is in a different league than the transition.

I thought I wanted a 29er but have heard around here 27.5 is more appropraite. Everytime I am about to pull the trigger I read stuff about a SC5010, hightower, tallboy, Hei Hei and on and on. There are good deals on them all.

Etc...etc...I know I just need to get a bike and ride. But any big opinions about make/mode/wheel size/frame size are 100% appreciated!
yeti fan boys will say yeti is in another league, but it's just a bike. I'd go for the transition, they are really 'cool' right now and are very good performing and fun bikes.

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 11:36 Quote
don't disregard 29ers if you're L or larger. they will work anywhere. I'd think very hard if I were S or XS, but it will be fine for L sized bodies.

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
don't disregard 29ers if you're L or larger. they will work anywhere. I'd think very hard if I were S or XS, but it will be fine for L sized bodies.

Yeah, that's was my initial thought.

Let me ask your opinion.

I read one local board that said 4.5in of rear travel is plenty around here.

Another rider I know said "get as much travel as you can and lock out when you climb"

LBS guy said the 5.5 would be "a lot" of bike to handle compared to the 4.5...

Any thoughts?

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 at 17:19 Quote
oldiebutanoob wrote:
chickenrunz wrote:

Yeah, that's was my initial thought.

Let me ask your opinion.

I read one local board that said 4.5in of rear travel is plenty around here.

Another rider I know said "get as much travel as you can and lock out when you climb"

LBS guy said the 5.5 would be "a lot" of bike to handle compared to the 4.5...

Any thoughts?

people say what they want to say. how much travel you need depends on how big your jumps. jump big, lots of travel. jump small, don't need lots of travel. lots of travel generally heavy bike. less travel, lighter bike. don't mind rocking up and down, don't mind weight, take more travel. hate bouncy bike, hate weight, take less travel.

a lot of bike to handle means -
generally bikes with more travel will have the front wheel further out in front. changes the handling compared to road bikes whose wheels are under your chin.

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
Would you get a new Yeti 4.5 GX build for 4k out the door after taxes?

Or a used 2018 that looks like it's in great condition $3300

Original owner of this well taken care of Yeti SB 4.5 large. It’s a great bike and I am looking to upgrade to something with more travel. I had a spare tube strap on the down tube which left an imprint. The bike is professionally wrapped with a clear tape. Let me know if you have any questions. Pedals not included

SPECIFICATIONS
FRAMECarbon Series Yeti SB4.5 29er frame and swing arm, Switch Infinity suspension system, Internal cable routing
FORKFox 34 Performance 140mm BOOST
REAR SHOCKFox Float Performance DPS
HEADSETCane Creek 40 Inset Taper
SHIFTERSShimano XT 11 speed
REAR DERAILLEURShimano XT 11 speed
CRANKSETRace Face Aeffect 30t
BOTTOM BRACKETRace Face BB92
CHAINShimano XT
CASSETTEShimano XT 11-44, 11 speed
BRAKESShimano SLX 180 (f), 160 (r), rt66 rotors
WHEELSETDT Swiss M1900 BOOST
TIRESMaxxis Ardent EXO/TR 2.4 Tubeless (f) / Maxxis Ardent EXO/TR 2.25 Tubless (r)
HANDLEBARRace Face Evolve 750mm
STEMRace Face Ride 60mm
GRIPSErgon GD2
SEATPOSTFox Transfer Dropper Post

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 14:28 Quote
oldiebutanoob wrote:

IMO 5010 for all round pnw ripper

Posted: Feb 3, 2019 at 21:04 Quote
Need some help, looking to purchase a bike for the summer season.

I haven’t been on a mountain bike in 14 years. I loved it when I was a kid an trying to reignite the love the I had for biking. I can remember spending 12 hours on whistler mountain. Obviously a rented full suspension bike.

I need help with deciding on what to buy hard tail or full suspension. I live in Calgary so can do a mixed variety of riding but assume that will be mostly trail and mountain have lots close and don’t mind driving. Budget is about 1500-2000 let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 4, 2019 at 21:26 Quote
JoelR89 wrote:
Need some help, looking to purchase a bike for the summer season.

I haven’t been on a mountain bike in 14 years. I loved it when I was a kid an trying to reignite the love the I had for biking. I can remember spending 12 hours on whistler mountain. Obviously a rented full suspension bike.

I need help with deciding on what to buy hard tail or full suspension. I live in Calgary so can do a mixed variety of riding but assume that will be mostly trail and mountain have lots close and don’t mind driving. Budget is about 1500-2000 let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

I'm biased, I believe a similar spec'd hardtail costs the same as a full suspension. might as well get a full suspension.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
Can you ride? Do you have DL? Or do you have a bike, as well? So many questionsBig Grin

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 3:09 Quote
Yeti SB5 has still an oldschool geometry...
shorter by one size than others (Transition for example)
slack seattube - bad for climbing
Transition Scout or Smuggler would be much better (especially with SBG - geo from Transition)

new SB130 has a proper geo, long, slack, short seattube (important for you), steep seattube, but it's 29"

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 18:30 Quote
Moving to Sun Peaks BC in a few months and have been looking up bikes n such for the last couple weeks. Haven’t really ever rode mountain bikes before. I’m hoping to do a mix of riding XC (to get into better shape) and start with mellow down hill single trac type trails.

I’m almost 30 and am 6’1 260ish lbs

Thinking about renting / demoing a few bikes before making any decisions

Price range would be 4-5k Canadian and if I get in to it like I hope to in a couple years have 2 bikes one for xc one for downhill bike kinda looking for a best of both worlds for a first bike

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010055
Mobile Version of Website