Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 19:10 Quote
DCPiloti wrote:
Hello All,

Newb here, I've decided to get into mountain biking, but I haven't bought a new bike since 1993! I'm going to be riding mainly trails in the Midlands of South Carolina(single track, sand,etc.) with occasional trips to the Greenville, SC and Western NC areas.

I'm 6'2", 215lbs, 44yrs, decent shape(work out at least 3xweek). The two shops in town are a Trek and a Specialized/Santa Cruz dealers. Both shops have great reputations and have been around a long long time.

I'm leaning towards the Trek Marlin, but would want to convert the drive-train to a 1x. My budget is sub $1K for bike, gear etc...

What do y'all think a good bike for me would be given this info?

I recommend looking on the criagslist in your area to get a good deal on a mtb. $1K is hard to get a decent new bike, so used it the best.

The DiamondbackSync'r for $1199 is a solid bike though

Posted: Apr 25, 2019 at 21:53 Quote
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/mens-stumpjumper-comp-alloy-27-5-12-speed/p/157616?color=236404-157616

https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/all-mountain/sight-aluminum/sight-a2/

Hello everybody,

I'm looking to get my first FS bike, and I wanted to ask for some opinions on which bike would be better. Both are 2019's and have similar specs from what I can see, but I'm honestly not quite sure about the little differences in them, also. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and like to challenge myself in taking rougher lines at times. I usually ride in Watershed, Delta, BC. or Coquitlam's Burke Mountain (just so you have an idea what type of terrains I ride), but would definitely be more open to explore more areas once I find a suitable bike.

The Norco Range A2 was initially first on my list, but the two above are more realistic towards the riding i'll be doing.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/enduro/range-aluminum/range-a2/

Thanks all!

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 1:24 Quote
PL12 wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/mens-stumpjumper-comp-alloy-27-5-12-speed/p/157616?color=236404-157616

https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/all-mountain/sight-aluminum/sight-a2/

Hello everybody,

I'm looking to get my first FS bike, and I wanted to ask for some opinions on which bike would be better. Both are 2019's and have similar specs from what I can see, but I'm honestly not quite sure about the little differences in them, also. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and like to challenge myself in taking rougher lines at times. I usually ride in Watershed, Delta, BC. or Coquitlam's Burke Mountain (just so you have an idea what type of terrains I ride), but would definitely be more open to explore more areas once I find a suitable bike.

The Norco Range A2 was initially first on my list, but the two above are more realistic towards the riding i'll be doing.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/enduro/range-aluminum/range-a2/

Thanks all!
Sight and stompjumper you mention are spec very simmilar, go for the one you can demo and have better support and/or price and availability - both are very simmilar regarding riding.

Posted: Apr 26, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
Sight and stompjumper you mention are spec very simmilar, go for the one you can demo and have better support and/or price and availability - both are very simmilar regarding riding.

Thank you for your input! Smile

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
Hey Guys,
Not so new to the site or mountain biking. I got back in to riding a couple years ago but I really started to get a bit more aggressive with the trails I'm riding. The bike I bought a couple years ago and continue to thrash about is a 26er hardtail with a crappy front fork which is well past it's prime. So I'm looking at upgrading to something newer. Within my budget I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes: 1 - a brand new Rocky Mountain Growler, and 2 - a used 2016 Norco Fluid 7.2. So I'm looking at a 27.5+ hardtail vs a 27.5 full suspension bike. I'll be honest, the hardtail I've been riding I think has done wonders for learning how to ride: picking good lines, moving my weight around the bike, and like that. I've tested a bunch of newer geometry bikes and even the newer hardtails inspire a little more confidence on the techy downhill stuff. I'm more wondering about the newer plus sized tires and if it's worth it. The 2.4s I have on my 26er seem to have a boat load of grip and control so I don't know if I really need the plus sized bike. A third option is to put a newer fork on the 26er but I have to consider n+1.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 11:15 Quote
hi all im looking for recommendations on a starter bike for easy to medium trails, my budget is around £300 or i can stretch too £400 if helps find a bike easier thanks in advance

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
sloan94 wrote:
hi all im looking for recommendations on a starter bike for easy to medium trails, my budget is around £300 or i can stretch too £400 if helps find a bike easier thanks in advance
pinicle hard tails are the best for a not too expensive bike. I have one and it is great bit more around 500 pounds in the uk

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 7:35 Quote
wrote:
pinicle hard tails are the best for a not too expensive bike. I have one and it is great bit more around 500 pounds in the uk

thanks for the reply what model if pinnacle do you have

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
LimpSquiggy wrote:
Hey Guys,
Not so new to the site or mountain biking. I got back in to riding a couple years ago but I really started to get a bit more aggressive with the trails I'm riding. The bike I bought a couple years ago and continue to thrash about is a 26er hardtail with a crappy front fork which is well past it's prime. So I'm looking at upgrading to something newer. Within my budget I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes: 1 - a brand new Rocky Mountain Growler, and 2 - a used 2016 Norco Fluid 7.2. So I'm looking at a 27.5+ hardtail vs a 27.5 full suspension bike. I'll be honest, the hardtail I've been riding I think has done wonders for learning how to ride: picking good lines, moving my weight around the bike, and like that. I've tested a bunch of newer geometry bikes and even the newer hardtails inspire a little more confidence on the techy downhill stuff. I'm more wondering about the newer plus sized tires and if it's worth it. The 2.4s I have on my 26er seem to have a boat load of grip and control so I don't know if I really need the plus sized bike. A third option is to put a newer fork on the 26er but I have to consider n+1.
Definatly FS bike Norco Fluid with normal 2.3-2.5 tyres, no need for plus size on FS. You already have hardtail (although with crappy fork :-) - time to try something different. On more aggresive riding FS can be better choice. You can have n+1 aggresive modern HT when you get bored with FS - and that won't be any time soon Big Grin

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
sloan94 wrote:

The Vitus Nucleus VR 27.5 is a good starter bike, easy to upgrade over time as well, i bought the 29er for long trail days as an alternative to my full sus, absolutely love it, little bit over your budget but deff worth it, prob cost between £450-£480

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
kevinglasgow38 wrote:
sloan94 wrote:

The Vitus Nucleus VR 27.5 is a good starter bike, easy to upgrade over time as well, i bought the 29er for long trail days as an alternative to my full sus, absolutely love it, little bit over your budget but deff worth it, prob cost between £450-£480

thank you just had a look seems a very nice bike, thinking of just waiting a bit longer and saving more for a top budget of £750 seems you can get alot more bike for that extra £300

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 17:42 Quote
I'm looking at my first mountain bike, is there any reason why I should avoid buying this bike. I've talked to a few riders near me and a hard tail is fine for our trails.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2387339/ 2017 Rocky mountain Vertex 970 for 1900 CAD

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
bobosume wrote:
I'm looking at my first mountain bike, is there any reason why I should avoid buying this bike. I've talked to a few riders near me and a hard tail is fine for our trails.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2387339/ 2017 Rocky mountain Vertex 970 for 1900 CAD

Nothing wrong with the bike... but you need to think of the future. What type of riding are you looking to do? Do you think you'll eventually get a full suspension? If you're spending $1900 CAD and looking at the used market, I would consider looking at some full suspension bikes. It's definitely worth it to test some bikes (new or userd), if you can see the bike in person and ride it a bit, it will greatly help your search and final decision.

My own experience was buying an $800 brand new hardtail (rocky mountain soul 29), liked the sport, saved up and bought a $2000 full suspension (specialized stumpjumper) a couple years later.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
Hey everyone, I'm looking to get into All-Mountain with little to know mountain biking experience. I'm a competitive freeride skier so I'm looking for a summer sport that can get me in shape for ski season and also give me that adrenaline rush I miss during the summers. Although I've never really done much mountain biking, I've done a little bit of roadbiking and want to try and commit myself to a new sport. I truly have no idea what bike to look for, what year of bike is considered "outdated" or "too old", what size I need (5'9, 160), or what's a good price. Considering I already spend thousands of dollars on skiing every year my budget is going to be relatively small for a new sport. Was wondering if around $1000 or less will get me a good entry level bike to test out the sport. Please help, I'll take any and all suggestions or criticism.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
1. what is too old
- if the rear does not have a clutch derailleur it's too old
- the more gears in the back the higher the spec of the rest of the bike. 12 > 11 > 10. don't get anything less, the specs on the rest of the bike will be rubbish.

2. what bike - if you are serious I would go full suspension but each to their own. FS has more maintenance but rewards you nicely. if unsure probably get a hard tail, it's cheaper, but you really struggle in the rough, and in the steep downhills.

3. if you go FS, then something with 130-150mm rear suspension travel is a good ball park for an all rounder.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022725
Mobile Version of Website