Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: May 31, 2019 at 2:05 Quote
What do you think about these variants https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/cruiser-bikes. I think it's really comfortable for beginner and everyday life. I bought a cruiser bike to get to work and Sunday rides. It was a good decision.

Posted: Jun 27, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
I am not new but havent ridden off road for some time. I live in the Mid Atlantic so I have humidity, rocks, roots, mud. Being realistic, I do not want a long travel bike. I would like something in the 4"- 5" range as I have long slogs up and not very many downs to utilize long travel. I also do not have access to flowing singletrack. Everything is pretty technical.

Looking around, I came across the YT Jeffsy 29 AL Base. I do want an aluminum frame as every frame I have ever had ends up with impacts hard enough to leave dinks (small dents). I figure that if it is hard enough to leave a dink, it is hard enough to crack a frame. Being a HS teacher, I cannot afford to buy a replacement frame. I want it to last.

Is there a better value for money than the Jeffsy? It is $2400 complete. The build out is also pretty nice and will get me out riding. I was considering buying a frame and doing a build but this complete bike is about what many people are asking for just a frame and starts out with some pretty decent kit. Reviews say that it is a fun ride and pedals well, which is a non negotiable requirement.

Is there anything in that vein of bike that I am missing?

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 20:41 Quote
Ok i am lost in translations of geometries....

And before the usual go and try which bike fits you best. I live in Greece where you simply cannot test 98% of the bikes out there.
So i am buying online and gather info through schematics.

Q I want to buy a bike for my beloved brother (1.87m tall no shoes and 34 inch inseam) who is an entire novice. and i simply dont get the schematics of todays era.

i ll either buy him that
https://eu-en.feltbicycles.com/collections/dispatch-9/products/dispatch-9-80 (in a 20")

or the most expensive

https://whyte.bike/products/529-v2 (in a large)

i ve seen videos that say to disregard seat tube measurements and rely mostly in stack and reach so here is the question?

given the stats on the 2 manufactures my brother barely fits in the Whyte 529 and as so he wont fit in the Felt 20" (the stack and reach are smaller) which is a bit odd... i think given the fact that its a 20"

the whole point is not him to feel cramped and to be able to sit comfortably, by that i mean his leg to stretch entirely when pedalling and his saddle to be aligned with the stem of his front end....

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
Whip
sorry forgot to add

thanks for any help

Posted: Jun 30, 2019 at 21:22 Quote
Hi guys,

I’m pretty new to the world of mountain biking, but I have done a little bit of trail and park riding in the past.

The time has come for me to get a bike but I a very torn on which kind of bike to get

I am 5’7, and roughly 115 lbs. I live and New England and I plan to do a mix of cross country riding for my high school team, bike park riding, and riding on trails with short, not that steep descents.

I originally planned on getting a Santa Cruz Bronson, but I inquired to a friend who rides a lot in my area and he thought that it might be a bit too much travel (150mm). Although I really like this bike and I kind of had my heart set on it, I am beginning to question if it is the right bike. He rides a 130mm travel bike and doesn’t have any problems, but he also doesn’t do that much bike park riding, which I plan on doing a lot of.

So my question is, do I stick with the 150mm Santa Cruz Bronson, or go with a smaller travel (~130mm) bike, and if so which bike should I go with.

My budget is ~$3500

Thanks

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 7:08 Quote
Mcunniff63 wrote:
Hi guys,

I’m pretty new to the world of mountain biking, but I have done a little bit of trail and park riding in the past.

The time has come for me to get a bike but I a very torn on which kind of bike to get

I am 5’7, and roughly 115 lbs. I live and New England and I plan to do a mix of cross country riding for my high school team, bike park riding, and riding on trails with short, not that steep descents.

I originally planned on getting a Santa Cruz Bronson, but I inquired to a friend who rides a lot in my area and he thought that it might be a bit too much travel (150mm). Although I really like this bike and I kind of had my heart set on it, I am beginning to question if it is the right bike. He rides a 130mm travel bike and doesn’t have any problems, but he also doesn’t do that much bike park riding, which I plan on doing a lot of.

So my question is, do I stick with the 150mm Santa Cruz Bronson, or go with a smaller travel (~130mm) bike, and if so which bike should I go with.

My budget is ~$3500

Thanks

Definatly Bronson if planning bike park riding a lot. And also - i suggest you buy bike you like, not the one your friend like or has - because in the end of the day you will ride your bike, not your friend... Big Grin

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 7:16 Quote
ekseliksis wrote:
Ok i am lost in translations of geometries....

And before the usual go and try which bike fits you best. I live in Greece where you simply cannot test 98% of the bikes out there.
So i am buying online and gather info through schematics.

Q I want to buy a bike for my beloved brother (1.87m tall no shoes and 34 inch inseam) who is an entire novice. and i simply dont get the schematics of todays era.

i ll either buy him that
https://eu-en.feltbicycles.com/collections/dispatch-9/products/dispatch-9-80 (in a 20")

or the most expensive

https://whyte.bike/products/529-v2 (in a large)

i ve seen videos that say to disregard seat tube measurements and rely mostly in stack and reach so here is the question?

given the stats on the 2 manufactures my brother barely fits in the Whyte 529 and as so he wont fit in the Felt 20" (the stack and reach are smaller) which is a bit odd... i think given the fact that its a 20"

the whole point is not him to feel cramped and to be able to sit comfortably, by that i mean his leg to stretch entirely when pedalling and his saddle to be aligned with the stem of his front end....

You are buying hardtail, i.e. according to Canyon size guide you look at Grand Canyon model size L. You can use geometry chart for comparing to other models... mostly you look at Reach, stack is usually no problem if
you are not extreme proportions...

https://www.canyon.com/en-si/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/grand-canyon/grand-canyon-al-sl-8.0/2035.html?dwvar_2035_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY&quantity=1#detailed-geometry-section-tab

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 7:26 Quote
These constant downsizing advices are kinda irking me really.
"You don´t need a dh-bike, a modern Enduro can do it all!"
"150mm is kinda overkill for the average rider, 130mm are so capable nowadays!"
It´s always the people saying these things you see walking their bikes down any mildly steep section in the park.

Of course, if you don´t need that much travel, you might be better off with a short travel bike. However, just because you don´t really need it doesn´t mean you can´t ride it and learn to make use of it.
Those extra 20mm won´t hinder you from reaching any mountaintop, but they will certainly reward you on any downhill.
And if a big part of your riding consists of park riding, i wouldn´t go for anything less than 150mm. If your split is 50/50 trails/park, i even would look at something more substantial in the 170mm category, just because a 150mm will be limiting you in the park sooner or later, mostly due to geometry, not lack of travel.
And if you really REALLY need the bike to be more poppy or sprint like crazy on your local trails, simply firm up the suspension a little.

What makes the difference isn´t so much the travel, it´s mostly how you set upo your bike and the components you put on a bike. Super light wheels and tires will make any 170mm climb nearly as well as a 120mm bike.

Also most 130mm bikes will be completely done after a season of park abuse.
I know how punishing it is for a dh bike and had friends put their 150mm enduros through a year of park abuse and they were not looking good after that. They just get clapped out badly.
Many manufacturers even state explicitly not to use their 130mm bikes for park riding, so there´s that also.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
Mcunniff63 wrote:
Hi guys,

My budget is ~$3500

Thanks
something like a Bronson would be the biggest I would go. New Habit, a Sight, maybe a jeffsy would be good shorter travel options. It'll be a compromise either way, depends what kind of riding matters more

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 8:44 Quote
Mcunniff63 wrote:
Hi guys,

My budget is ~$3500

Thanks

150mm will let you carry more speed easier through chunder and roots doing general trail riding, and will def be more capable at parks. and VPP bikes climbs like a champ regardless of travel choice

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
lifted-d wrote:
Mcunniff63 wrote:
Hi guys,

My budget is ~$3500

Thanks

150mm will let you carry more speed easier through chunder and roots doing general trail riding, and will def be more capable at parks. and VPP bikes climbs like a champ regardless of travel choice

Thanks man

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
So I've been researching probably for past two months every day or other day for a mountain bike and been really jumping back and forth on the bikes from full suspension and hardtails. While I've narrowed it down to few bikes on each one I'm still can't pull the trigger as I look at them each in a different stand point.

I'm currently stationed in the Hawaii on Oahu and seen a mix of fs and hardtails here I've test rode a hardtail and a fs thanks to one of the guys I met up and kinda got me into it. However I'm looking for a bike that can do a bit of everything from trails urban and some commute less than 2 miles from my house to the hangers and want for which ever duty station I'm at next it can do well for the trails there. So the bikes I've got to use are a 2016 nukeproof mega and a 2018 santa Cruz chameleon my other bikes I'm looking at are the bird zero am and a yt Capra.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 23:32 Quote
If..it were me, I'd take a real hard look at the Bird, they build great bikes. Oh, and thanks for your service. Beer

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 14:14 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
If..it were me, I'd take a real hard look at the Bird, they build great bikes. Oh, and thanks for your service. Beer

Thanks for the advice and glad to be of service; the atomic blue is definitely winning me over, seems with the build and such comes to about where the other bikes are priced and looks fantastic as well.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 18:07 Quote
hey,

I'm basically just getting into the sport. I am a freestyle skier and have been shredding for years, I just always got annoyed when the season was over and I didn't see the mountains again till December or January. This year I decided to start biking. I just finished my 3rd trip summit bike park in big bear and I have a tripped planned on the 6th of august to Northstar. I think I have progressed pretty well, obviously, a major part of it is the immensely capable bike I have been demoing, the 2019 nomad r kit. I have enough funds put away right now for a bike and I am thinking either the Nomad Carbon S kit or the V10. My local shop has a v10 s kit for 4800 brand new and the carbon s kit nomad for the exact same price. I haven't been able to demo a downhill bike, but based on my track record I would only be riding at lift operated parks like summit, northstar, whistler, keystone and all the other mountains I tend to ski at. I honestly have never spent time biking local trails, but who knows... maybe I may start. Anyways I definitely don't want to spend 10 grand on 2 bikes and even spending 5 on one is a shit ton, but I definitely need to make the decision. I am a bigger guy.. 235.. and i did hit a pretty good-sized jump yesterday that caused my back tire to bottom out and catch my ass which ripped a huge chunk of skin off. that was the rock shox deluxe select at 220 pounds.... the s kit has the select + and I honestly couldn't find the difference between those two besides the width of the shock.. I'm not sure if it holds more air of would be a little tighter on big landings.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011092
Mobile Version of Website