Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Kathrinems wrote:
Hi!
I'm looking for a new bike, but I'm still a beginner and don't know a lot about the different components and what's best. I have been riding for around a year on an old Trek Slash 7.
I've looked a lot at the Canyon Spectral WMN AL, but I'm doubting if it should be the 4.0 or 5.0 - if it's worth it with the components to pay the extra for the 5.0 or if the 4.0 is good enough.
My budget is around 2.000€.

- 4.0 (1.699€): https://www.canyon.com/en-de/women-bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/spectral/spectral-wmn-al-4.0/2212.html?dwvar_2212_pv_rahmenfarbe=RD%2FRD&dwvar_2212_pv_rahmengroesse=M

- 5.0 (2.099€): https://www.canyon.com/en-de/women-bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/spectral/spectral-wmn-al-5.0/2213.html?dwvar_2213_pv_rahmenfarbe=GY%2FBU&dwvar_2213_pv_rahmengroesse=M

Main difference is that 4.0 is 2x11 drivetrain, 5.0 is 1x12 and better wheels and brakes. IMO you should go for 5.0, price difference is worth it. 2x11 is dead on trail/enduro bikes, also better brakes and wheels are always good :-)

Thank you! :-)

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 14:52 Quote
Hello everyone,

After about 7 years of being completely out of MTB environment I decided to come back and start riding again. I do have basic knowledge about bikes, however I used to ride dirt jumping and street bikes. After my recent trip to Big Bear, CA I decided to purchase a DH bike for myself. I am not familiar very well with DH bikes, Please give me several suggestions on where to start my research, and what brands to look at. I rode Trek Session 8 27.5 2019 bike at big bear lake, and honestly loved it, however I am not sure how good that bike is comparing to other brands on the market?

1. I am looking for Canada or USA brands. Most likely complete set, but I can take a look at frame sets if you will help me to pick the rest of components Smile . It can be 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 bikes - frames.
2. Price range $3500 - $5000
3. height 5'7 (170cm) Weight (165) 75 kg - please tell me what sizes I should be looking for
4. When I used to ride, rim sizes were 24 and 26 the most popular, 29ers were only at the beginning of getting its market share. What rim sizes are now available? 24, 26, 29? Or there is something else? What would you suggest for DH person of my weight and height?
5. Cannot think of any other questions, if you think there is something else important I should be looking for during my research please let me know Smile

Thank you.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 18:56 Quote
okoloamerican wrote:
I rode Trek Session 8 27.5 2019

4. When I used to ride, rim sizes were 24 and 26 the most popular, 29ers were only at the beginning of getting its market share. What rim sizes are now available? 24, 26, 29? Or there is something else? What would you suggest for DH person of my weight and height?

Haha sort of answered your own question there. Wink As far as new DH (and mtb in general) bikes go, 26 is pretty much dead, 29 has gotten pretty big recently, and 27.5 is huge too. So wheelsize is generally a choice between 27.5 or 29. 26 and 24 are for pretty old bikes, street, dj, maybe an odd pro on 26 for freeride.

You'd probably be a M in frame size. Maybe an outlier S or L.

Sorry not too knowledgeable with modern/dh bikes. Redface Confused

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 5:56 Quote
okoloamerican wrote:
Hello everyone,

After about 7 years of being completely out of MTB environment I decided to come back and start riding again. I do have basic knowledge about bikes, however I used to ride dirt jumping and street bikes. After my recent trip to Big Bear, CA I decided to purchase a DH bike for myself. I am not familiar very well with DH bikes, Please give me several suggestions on where to start my research, and what brands to look at. I rode Trek Session 8 27.5 2019 bike at big bear lake, and honestly loved it, however I am not sure how good that bike is comparing to other brands on the market?

1. I am looking for Canada or USA brands. Most likely complete set, but I can take a look at frame sets if you will help me to pick the rest of components Smile . It can be 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 bikes - frames.
2. Price range $3500 - $5000
3. height 5'7 (170cm) Weight (165) 75 kg - please tell me what sizes I should be looking for
5. Cannot think of any other questions, if you think there is something else important I should be looking for during my research please let me know Smile

Thank you.
1. look at complete bikes, you will get much more for your money than building from scratch
2. Trek Session is a classic you cannot miss with. With that budget you get excellent bike at any known manufacturer (look Giant, YT, Commencal, Canyon...)
3. Looking at M size probably (best to demo some model you like, find comfortable size and check Reach at geometry charts to compare with sizes of other manufacturers
4. 27.5 or 29 lately - 29 will be more monster trucking, 27.5 more playful. Go 29 if speed is all you care about, otherwise 27.5
5. Try to demo some models, preferably go for ALU model with better equipment rather than Carbon. Carbon will be generally pound lighter and 1000$ more expensive :-)

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:26 Quote
2015 Canfield Balance vs 2017 Knolly Warden. Anyone for a premium AL shootout/debate?

Posted: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:20 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
2015 Canfield Balance vs 2017 Knolly Warden. Anyone for a premium AL shootout/debate?
having ridden neither, Canfield.

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
Hi, In the beginning of new year, I would like to buy new bike. I'm really fascinated in downhill, but I'd like to have a bike where I can go to some trip. The bike will be used in some fancy tracks, that will help me to learn how to downhill, and also how to jump. I'm so newbie in this, so I would appreciate that, if bike won't get destroyed after my first jump ^.^ I'm interesed in two bikes, and really don't know which one should I buy. Im interested in yt capra al 27.5, and Canyon Torque al 5.0. I think, capra has better drive components, but torque has better fork. Which one of them, or any other bike should I buy? Like I said, I'd want to go to trips with this bike, not that far, but about 20-40 kilometers. My budget it's about 2500 euro

Posted: Aug 16, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
Trimek wrote:
Hi, In the beginning of new year, I would like to buy new bike. I'm really fascinated in downhill, but I'd like to have a bike where I can go to some trip. The bike will be used in some fancy tracks, that will help me to learn how to downhill, and also how to jump. I'm so newbie in this, so I would appreciate that, if bike won't get destroyed after my first jump ^.^ I'm interesed in two bikes, and really don't know which one should I buy. Im interested in yt capra al 27.5, and Canyon Torque al 5.0. I think, capra has better drive components, but torque has better fork. Which one of them, or any other bike should I buy? Like I said, I'd want to go to trips with this bike, not that far, but about 20-40 kilometers. My budget it's about 2500 euro

Capra. Cant beat the components for the price. Cant really go wrong with either bike for their prices but the capra will be the best bang for your buck overall. Have fun with your new bike, downhill is one of the best sports there is.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 8:49 Quote
Hey looking to get my first bike. I was looking for something used and came across a Diamondback overdrive for $175 and from what I can tell it looks pretty clean.

What are your thoughts on this bike? I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for, so any help would be appreciated.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
bagoosh wrote:
Hey looking to get my first bike. I was looking for something used and came across a Diamondback overdrive for $175 and from what I can tell it looks pretty clean.

What are your thoughts on this bike? I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for, so any help would be appreciated.

What year/how old? If it's newer, for an all-round less aggressive hardtail, that's a steal; you can't lose for that price. Smile

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 7:21 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
bagoosh wrote:

What year/how old? If it's newer, for an all-round less aggressive hardtail, that's a steal; you can't lose for that price. Smile

I was in contact with the seller and asked these questions as well as for some more pictures, but have not heard back from them. Kind of makes me wonder if it's real.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 0:55 Quote
bagoosh wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:
bagoosh wrote:

I was in contact with the seller and asked these questions as well as for some more pictures, but have not heard back from them. Kind of makes me wonder if it's real.
Good to be wary. If it's legit and the right type of bike for you, then by all means go for it... but unless it's old or beat up or something, that price is low, so good for double checking. tup Good luck

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
pilosh wrote:
(old) N00b here, figured I'd add to this thread instead of starting one for the same purpose...

I am 30 next year and haven't ridden for over a decade. (Except a crap $150 full suspension bike I bought on a whim a few years back from a department store, rode it 2x, broke it and set it out by the road, someone was picking it up 30 seconds later)

So with that said I now live out in the country and have plenty of land to build whatever kind of dirt jumps, ramps, pump track, and so on. So I plan to make what I never could as a kid but I have no bike to ride on.

When I was into biking you either rode a mountain bike or a BMX bike - now there are bikes specific for downhill, trials, DJ, etc... And more or less I am lost.

I am 5'9" and 225lbs - so not a small guy at all and I have broken many a bike parts as I ride very hard. Therefore I understand I'll probably have to spend at least $500-800 to get a bike I won't destroy the first time out. The question is - what kind? This is where I am lost.

The two bikes I've found in my research that seem to fit my needs are the Specialized P2 and the Kona Shred - I think as they are geared towards dirt jumping from what I can tell which is what I want. Plus there is a local dealer for both of these brands. The one thing I don't like is that both of these bikes have 26" tires and for some reason I think 24" would be better. It seems like 26" would limit what you can do or am I wrong here?

I'll just be riding whatever tracks/jumps I make. I have no pavement at all to ride on, I won't be riding long distances much but I would like it to be some what comfortable in case I do take it to some longer trails. I just want to be able to jump without fear of breaking more or less.

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 1:04 Quote
So, I'm gonna be heading to UC Santa Cruz soon and it is known to have tons of trails to ride and I've been riding BMX for a while but I also want to get into MTB and Santa Cruz is a perfect place to do it! I have always been fascinated with downhill mountain biking and jumps and whatnot, but I don't think there's too much of that in Santa Cruz, so that leads me to the question on what type fo mountain bike I should get if I can't get a downhill one. I was thinking a hardtail because idk that just seems like a good transfer over from BMX but I wanna be able to do the technical stuff like going down/up rooted slopes or go over or on big rocks etc. SO that leads me to the question on what style of MTB I should get... full sus, hardtail, rigid. Also, consider this... I have never actually road MTB trails before but I am confident in my bike control and very aware of what I can accomplish at my level of skill and mainly I wanna do trail riding with the technical crap and still be able to do the fun fast downhill riding and jumps if possible... JUMPING is a dream of mine I need to still do. (P.S if I need suspension to be technical then suggest it... but if not then forget it. I do BMX I can handle the roughness/rigidness of riding). My height is 6'0, I weigh 190lbs and i don't want to break the bank but ya know... I get that nice bikes cost money. 0-999$ is my price range

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 1:05 Quote
So, I'm gonna be heading to UC Santa Cruz soon and it is known to have tons of trails to ride and I've been riding BMX for a while but I also want to get into MTB and Santa Cruz is a perfect place to do it! I have always been fascinated with downhill mountain biking and jumps and whatnot, but I don't think there's too much of that in Santa Cruz, so that leads me to the question on what type fo mountain bike I should get if I can't get a downhill one. I was thinking a hardtail because idk that just seems like a good transfer over from BMX but I wanna be able to do the technical stuff like going down/up rooted slopes or go over or on big rocks etc. SO that leads me to the question on what style of MTB I should get... full sus, hardtail, rigid. Also, consider this... I have never actually road MTB trails before but I am confident in my bike control and very aware of what I can accomplish at my level of skill and mainly I wanna do trail riding with the technical crap and still be able to do the fun fast downhill riding and jumps if possible... JUMPING is a dream of mine I need to still do. (P.S if I need suspension to be technical then suggest it... but if not then forget it. I do BMX I can handle the roughness/rigidness of riding). My height is 6'0, I weigh 190lbs and i don't want to break the bank but ya know... I get that nice bikes cost money. 0-999$ is my price range

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009365
Mobile Version of Website