Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Sep 29, 2019 at 7:20 Quote
I'm trying to decide between a used 2018 Ibis Ripley 29 and a used 2018 Commencal Meta TR v4.2 27.5. I know these are kind of different bikes. Both are in very good shape. The Commencal has way better components (fox factory) and would be like $600-900 cheaper. I ride cross country but am also interested in taking it up the ski lift every once in a while. Skill level is nearing blue-black, but I would really like to get better at the technical stuff.

I'm pretty intrigued by the Commencal but part of my brain has a hard time paying for a alu 27.5 -- feels like it will be dated pretty quick. However, the geo is more progressive than the Ripley. The Ripley feels like a bike I could hold for a while and upgrade after I blast through the initial components (of course this would be more $$$).

Would it be fair to say the Ripley would be much better all all sorts of climbing (including technical climbs), where the Commencal would be better on the downhills?

Any thoughts? What other factors should I be considering here?

much thanks in advance!

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 20:59 Quote
I would personally recommend the Commencal. For the stuff you say you do, it is a far superior bike. I have a friend with a 29er, and honestly, our bikes are just as fast.

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
Hello, I have been researching a new mountain bike to get, one that is cheap but not too cheap where it will break down quickly. I've always had a Walmart bike but I want something that will last a long time. I've been looking at the Giant Talon 3 2019, trek Marlin 7, and DiamondBack 29 1. I've been watching youtube reviews and these bikes are said to be good starter bikes. They have a good price and the reviews are good but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

I live in a desert, with not really any trails, but large open areas of land. that I could ride on. I also would use to commute to school which is about a mile and a half away from my house.

Price range: 0-$850

Also if you could recommend what modifications to do to the bike.
Thanks! Smile

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
As a more general question, I've been told that generally speaking, if you pay Walmart price, you'll get a Walmart bike, but that for any particular price range, the bikes are generally comparable. Oh, everyone has their favorites of course, and you can always purchase a lemon, but in general you'll get about the same quality for the same price, so it comes down to features like gearing and such.

How true is that?

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 8:49 Quote
dmvhornback wrote:
So, I'm gonna be heading to UC Santa Cruz soon and it is known to have tons of trails to ride and I've been riding BMX for a while but I also want to get into MTB and Santa Cruz is a perfect place to do it! I have always been fascinated with downhill mountain biking and jumps and whatnot, but I don't think there's too much of that in Santa Cruz, so that leads me to the question on what type fo mountain bike I should get if I can't get a downhill one. I was thinking a hardtail because idk that just seems like a good transfer over from BMX but I wanna be able to do the technical stuff like going down/up rooted slopes or go over or on big rocks etc. SO that leads me to the question on what style of MTB I should get... full sus, hardtail, rigid. Also, consider this... I have never actually road MTB trails before but I am confident in my bike control and very aware of what I can accomplish at my level of skill and mainly I wanna do trail riding with the technical crap and still be able to do the fun fast downhill riding and jumps if possible... JUMPING is a dream of mine I need to still do. (P.S if I need suspension to be technical then suggest it... but if not then forget it. I do BMX I can handle the roughness/rigidness of riding). My height is 6'0, I weigh 190lbs and i don't want to break the bank but ya know... I get that nice bikes cost money. 0-999$ is my price range

For a beginner, hardtails would be a better option and because of your budget you can a better spec for the price. I would look for used bikes first, but a diamondback sync'r is a solid bike, sonder hardtail, and a lot of others. Check out a local bike shop to demo a bike and talk to them about a bike perfect your trails and budget.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
Hi! I've always been a casual cross country mtn biker. I've ridden a hard tail 26er for years, with upgraded front fork and hydraulic brakes I installed on it. I'm 6' 4", 240 Lb with 32" inseam (all torso).

I'm considering upgrading to a 29er with full suspension and just starting to look. Is this a good deal? It's local to me.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/d/santa-rosa-2018-bmc-speedfox-03-three/6987357932.html

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
Such an overwhelming feeling looking at bikes haha.

Trying to decide on my first mountain bike. Haven't ridden in about 8 years but I need to exercise and start getting into shape. Gave up 3 years ago looking for a bike only to come back and feel the same way again.

I know I want a hardtail, budget could be stretched to $2000 if it meant getting something good that will last a long time. One mindset I'm getting into is components. I mean this in the sense of I worry about house branded parts. Like wheels and such and how durable they would be.

I keep looking at the Marin San Quentin 3 and I also like the idea of a steel bike. The Santa Cruz Chameleon kind of started this journey back into looking at bikes, but I feel like the $1800 one is kind of lacking and $2400 isn't worth that (I'm probably wrong, but I digress). At this point all of the bikes I have looked at, I can't even remember the name of half of them or anything about them.

Locally we seem to be flooded with the same bikes. Specialized, Santa Cruz (who doesn't have the Chameleon), Kona and Trek. Even if I drive a bit it seems to all be the same or all they have in stock is road bikes or full suspension. I almost feel like looking that $2000 isn't even good enough for these shops. I know people also mention used and I have been lurking in the sale section a lot but locally we have a lot of department store bikes but nothing much past that.

It doesn't help that I don't even have knowledge of putting a bike together or the tools so I would still have to find a shop to put it together since I would worry about messing up which makes me hesitant to order online.

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
Brandt1 wrote:
Such an overwhelming feeling looking at bikes haha.

Trying to decide on my first mountain bike. Haven't ridden in about 8 years but I need to exercise and start getting into shape. Gave up 3 years ago looking for a bike only to come back and feel the same way again.

I know I want a hardtail, budget could be stretched to $2000 if it meant getting something good that will last a long time. One mindset I'm getting into is components. I mean this in the sense of I worry about house branded parts. Like wheels and such and how durable they would be.

I keep looking at the Marin San Quentin 3 and I also like the idea of a steel bike. The Santa Cruz Chameleon kind of started this journey back into looking at bikes, but I feel like the $1800 one is kind of lacking and $2400 isn't worth that (I'm probably wrong, but I digress). At this point all of the bikes I have looked at, I can't even remember the name of half of them or anything about them.

Locally we seem to be flooded with the same bikes. Specialized, Santa Cruz (who doesn't have the Chameleon), Kona and Trek. Even if I drive a bit it seems to all be the same or all they have in stock is road bikes or full suspension. I almost feel like looking that $2000 isn't even good enough for these shops. I know people also mention used and I have been lurking in the sale section a lot but locally we have a lot of department store bikes but nothing much past that.

It doesn't help that I don't even have knowledge of putting a bike together or the tools so I would still have to find a shop to put it together since I would worry about messing up which makes me hesitant to order online.

The Specialized Fuse 29 is a great option at $1650. You can have a local bike shop that is a specialized dealer order the bike, and I bet they would build it for you too! Also look at the orbea Alma

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 1:32 Quote
Hello, everyone, first post here!

Long long long story short is... I've been riding/racing dirt bikes my entire life but I am now taking a break for a few years and want to get into the mtb world and buy my FIRST actual MTB so I can get a workout and help me stay in shape especially but have some fun.

I've owned Costco bikes before and never used them so I know NOTHING about mountain bikes and their components.
I've been doing research and I now kinda know a little regarding hard tail vs full suspension, 27.5 vs 29's and all those good things.
I'm lost as to what I need and what I should buy. I went to 6 bike shops and It kinda confused me even more so because I can now see that choosing a bike isn't like math, theres no right/exact answer so everyone has a different opinion and is a fanboy of something or they tend to lean to certain brands and setups.
I'll be riding in San Diego, CA I'm 5'9 @190 lbs so an M frame looks to be the best for me. San Diego is little rocky, there wont be anything too steep to go down in my future... thinking of kind enduro-ish/cross country type of terrain riding I guess?

what I need from you? Help me clear my mind.
Hard tail or full suspension?
27.5 or a 29er?

Budget is $1500-$2200. Been looking at the Trance 3 29er2020 @$2100 or so and the Specialized Stumpjumper ST Alloy 29 @$1700 or so when it comes to full suspension.
As far as hard tails, been looking at the little more affordable Trek Roscoe 8 @$1500 and the Giant Fathom 2 @$1200.
Are these actually good bikes? I don't want to cheap out on full suspension when I csan get a really nice hard tail for the equivalent.

Not sure what to think, what route to go. My heart is telling me full suspension?
any input is appreciated, THANK YOU!

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 3:13 Quote
BajaBoundDrew wrote:
Hello, everyone, first post here!

Long long long story short is... I've been riding/racing dirt bikes my entire life but I am now taking a break for a few years and want to get into the mtb world and buy my FIRST actual MTB so I can get a workout and help me stay in shape especially but have some fun.

I've owned Costco bikes before and never used them so I know NOTHING about mountain bikes and their components.
I've been doing research and I now kinda know a little regarding hard tail vs full suspension, 27.5 vs 29's and all those good things.
I'm lost as to what I need and what I should buy. I went to 6 bike shops and It kinda confused me even more so because I can now see that choosing a bike isn't like math, theres no right/exact answer so everyone has a different opinion and is a fanboy of something or they tend to lean to certain brands and setups.
I'll be riding in San Diego, CA I'm 5'9 @190 lbs so an M frame looks to be the best for me. San Diego is little rocky, there wont be anything too steep to go down in my future... thinking of kind enduro-ish/cross country type of terrain riding I guess?

what I need from you? Help me clear my mind.
Hard tail or full suspension?
27.5 or a 29er?

Budget is $1500-$2200. Been looking at the Trance 3 29er2020 @$2100 or so and the Specialized Stumpjumper ST Alloy 29 @$1700 or so when it comes to full suspension.
As far as hard tails, been looking at the little more affordable Trek Roscoe 8 @$1500 and the Giant Fathom 2 @$1200.
Are these actually good bikes? I don't want to cheap out on full suspension when I csan get a really nice hard tail for the equivalent.

Not sure what to think, what route to go. My heart is telling me full suspension?
any input is appreciated, THANK YOU!

Trance and Stompjumper are good allrounders, you cannot go wrong with them. Buy and ride any of those, you will figure out later through riding what you like, what to upgrade or maybe you will change bike as whole, you will see. There is no way forum posters can tell what you will prefer and what not Big Grin
You should always follow your heart, so go full sus Big Grin

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
Hey guys, managed to remember my log in info on the account I created when I was like 15 haha.

Anyways, I quit riding for a long time and got into downhill skating. Now, im having the itch and I want to get back into it. Im having a hard time deciding on a bike to get. Ideally, id like to get back into riding downhill/freeride and general hucking around on jumps. However, Its going to take me a while to get back to that point, and id like to find a bike that will still be able to pedal around well on mellower stuff while I re-learn how to ride trails, but will also be capable of handling some rougher stuff like jumps and drops. I dont want a full blown DH setup as they feel so big and boaty while just peddling around and riding less intense stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations? Im 6'2, about 175-180 lbs, and would like to keep it under $2k. Buying used is ideal.

Im sorry if this isnt a lot of info to go off of, but ive been out of the scene for probably 10 years now and have idea what brands to even look into, so im sorry!

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
Hey All,

I’m new to the mountain biking world, but have always loved extreme sports. My instagram algorithm was smart and put me onto Richie Rude. After watching him shred I’m hooked and though I know I’ll never be able to do half of what he does I’m interested in trying lol. I’ve been watching downhill/xc/enduro on youtube for weeks and I want my first bike.

From what I’ve read I think want a 29er enduro bike, but i’m having a hard time figuring out what bike to get. I would mostly do flowie trails and mild downhill at first.

Budget: 2-4k
6’0 260 (by spring probably 220)

Help!

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 12:42 Quote
RichieRozay75 wrote:
Hey All,

I’m new to the mountain biking world, but have always loved extreme sports. My instagram algorithm was smart and put me onto Richie Rude. After watching him shred I’m hooked and though I know I’ll never be able to do half of what he does I’m interested in trying lol. I’ve been watching downhill/xc/enduro on youtube for weeks and I want my first bike.

From what I’ve read I think want a 29er enduro bike, but i’m having a hard time figuring out what bike to get. I would mostly do flowie trails and mild downhill ask first.

Help!

It's actually quite hard to buy a bad bike nowadays. In your shoes I would probably look at the used market at the lower end of your budget. If you spend 4k on a new bike and then decide the sport isn't for you, you'll lose a lot of money selling on. I'd agree that a 29er enduro bike is the best option for the type of riding you're talking about doing. At 6'0 you want to be looking at L and XL frames.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
Yea it’s hard to figure out what to get. I feel i can get a deal on a 2016-2018 27.5 enduro bike and though it wont be as fast as a 29er i will probably be able to get a better spec bike.

Any bikes you recommend?

metaam wrote:
RichieRozay75 wrote:
Hey All,

From what I’ve read I think want a 29er enduro bike, but i’m having a hard time figuring out what bike to get. I would mostly do flowie trails and mild downhill ask first.

Help!

It's actually quite hard to buy a bad bike nowadays. In your shoes I would probably look at the used market at the lower end of your budget. If you spend 4k on a new bike and then decide the sport isn't for you, you'll lose a lot of money selling on. I'd agree that a 29er enduro bike is the best option for the type of riding you're talking about doing. At 6'0 you want to be looking at L and XL frames.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
RichieRozay75 wrote:
Yea it’s hard to figure out what to get. I feel i can get a deal on a 2016-2018 27.5 enduro bike and though it wont be as fast as a 29er i will probably be able to get a better spec bike.

Any bikes you recommend?

It's quite hard to say, not knowing what style of riding you're after. As you say, a 27.5 bike will be slightly slower, but possibly more playful/agile. If you do go with the smaller wheels, something like a Transition Patrol would probably fit the bill. Some of the direct to consumer brands such as Commencal and YT are also worth looking at if you want to buy new.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011191
Mobile Version of Website