Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Author Message
Posted: Nov 14, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
Dialee wrote:
New here on this thread. So what bike should I get as beginner Big Grin ?

What type of riding do you do/ want to do? Also, what is your budget? Cheers!

Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 9:23 Quote
So i dont open new theme. I am going to start doing DH in 2020 and was wondering what you think about buying used bike ? Was first thinking of buying new one but to start slowly and everything i think its better to buy new one? My price range is around 2000-2500€.

Posted: Nov 24, 2019 at 2:25 Quote
meebo wrote:
So i dont open new theme. I am going to start doing DH in 2020 and was wondering what you think about buying used bike ? Was first thinking of buying new one but to start slowly and everything i think its better to buy new one? My price range is around 2000-2500€.
For that budget you can get proper new bike, look maybe for 2019 models and good deals. With used bikes - you can get one for 1K cheaper or even more, but it depends a LOT on condition etc...New bike examples:
https://www.commencal-store.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=3221150

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 at 20:02 Quote
Dialee wrote:
New here on this thread. So what bike should I get as beginner Big Grin ?
right bike for the right job at the right price

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 6:24 Quote
For the US, the Polygon Xtrada8, Entiat, and Siskiu bikes sold on BikesOnline.com offer the best budget bike value I’ve seen. Starting with the 2019 Xtrada8 HT for 900, Recon RL fork, 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain, 11/46 cassette, Shimano hydro brakes, free shipping, and 14 day test ride with free return. The Siskiu FS bikes cover XC, Trail, and Enduro segments. Starts with the 2020 XC D7 at 1300 with Recon/XFusion suspension and 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain through the 2019 Enduro N9 at 2600 with Fox 36 Rhythm/DPX2 suspension, 1x12 GX drivetrain, dropper post and TRP 4 pot brakes.

Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 7:31 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
For the US, the Polygon Xtrada8, Entiat, and Siskiu bikes sold on BikesOnline.com offer the best budget bike value I’ve seen. Starting with the 2019 Xtrada8 HT for 900, Recon RL fork, 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain, 11/46 cassette, Shimano hydro brakes, free shipping, and 14 day test ride with free return. The Siskiu FS bikes cover XC, Trail, and Enduro segments. Starts with the 2020 XC D7 at 1300 with Recon/XFusion suspension and 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain through the 2019 Enduro N9 at 2600 with Fox 36 Rhythm/DPX2 suspension, 1x12 GX drivetrain, dropper post and TRP 4 pot brakes.

The enduro n9 is interesting. It has decent components, but personally, I would buy the YT Capra Al Base. It has a better fork, arguably a better shock, and has proven suspension linkage that actually makes the bike a monster truck. My friend owns that bike, and its crazy how the linkage soaks up the chunk. As for polygon, I have no idea if the suspension design is good for rough trails, and the fox 36 rythem is actually not the best fork. It has the trusted name; 36, but has no compression adjustments, and is really not very good. For first timers however, those hardtails are pretty darn good.

Posted: Dec 30, 2019 at 22:12 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
Heist30 wrote:
For the US, the Polygon Xtrada8, Entiat, and Siskiu bikes sold on BikesOnline.com offer the best budget bike value I’ve seen. Starting with the 2019 Xtrada8 HT for 900, Recon RL fork, 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain, 11/46 cassette, Shimano hydro brakes, free shipping, and 14 day test ride with free return. The Siskiu FS bikes cover XC, Trail, and Enduro segments. Starts with the 2020 XC D7 at 1300 with Recon/XFusion suspension and 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain through the 2019 Enduro N9 at 2600 with Fox 36 Rhythm/DPX2 suspension, 1x12 GX drivetrain, dropper post and TRP 4 pot brakes.

The enduro n9 is interesting. It has decent components, but personally, I would buy the YT Capra Al Base. It has a better fork, arguably a better shock, and has proven suspension linkage that actually makes the bike a monster truck. My friend owns that bike, and its crazy how the linkage soaks up the chunk. As for polygon, I have no idea if the suspension design is good for rough trails, and the fox 36 rythem is actually not the best fork. It has the trusted name; 36, but has no compression adjustments, and is really not very good. For first timers however, those hardtails are pretty darn good.

cept the YT won't be in stock in the model you want and the color you want WHEN you actually have the money to buy one...

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
tredz wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:
Heist30 wrote:
For the US, the Polygon Xtrada8, Entiat, and Siskiu bikes sold on BikesOnline.com offer the best budget bike value I’ve seen. Starting with the 2019 Xtrada8 HT for 900, Recon RL fork, 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain, 11/46 cassette, Shimano hydro brakes, free shipping, and 14 day test ride with free return. The Siskiu FS bikes cover XC, Trail, and Enduro segments. Starts with the 2020 XC D7 at 1300 with Recon/XFusion suspension and 1x11 XT/SLX drivetrain through the 2019 Enduro N9 at 2600 with Fox 36 Rhythm/DPX2 suspension, 1x12 GX drivetrain, dropper post and TRP 4 pot brakes.

The enduro n9 is interesting. It has decent components, but personally, I would buy the YT Capra Al Base. It has a better fork, arguably a better shock, and has proven suspension linkage that actually makes the bike a monster truck. My friend owns that bike, and its crazy how the linkage soaks up the chunk. As for polygon, I have no idea if the suspension design is good for rough trails, and the fox 36 rythem is actually not the best fork. It has the trusted name; 36, but has no compression adjustments, and is really not very good. For first timers however, those hardtails are pretty darn good.

cept the YT won't be in stock in the model you want and the color you want WHEN you actually have the money to buy one...


Lol, true. Its still a better bike tho....

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
Hi,
I've been interested in xc mountain biking for a while now and I'd like to give it a go. So I want to get some thing that I can do some racing on as well as just riding around local woods.
Price range: Under £1000 and ideally as little as possible so I can afford to do upgrades.
I've done a bit of research and the bikes that looked like decent options where:
Merida big nine limited - https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/553-755/bignine-limited-al
Trek x-caliber 8 - https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/28064/?colorCode=black
Scott scale 980 - https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-scale-980-black-red-bike?article=274601010
Can anyone give me some advice, along with what parts I should look to upgrade first.

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
Vitus Rapide for 900 quid gives you 1x11 SLX 11-46t drivetrain, RS Recon RL air fork, MT400 hydro brakes...nothing needing upgrading out of the start...

PS: all 3 being considered are spec’d with SRAM SX Eagle which I’ve learned has a plastic body derailleur and unfavorable user reviews. The Merida has the only fork i’d care to keep.

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
FLX7 wrote:
Hi,
I've been interested in xc mountain biking for a while now and I'd like to give it a go. So I want to get some thing that I can do some racing on as well as just riding around local woods.
Price range: Under £1000 and ideally as little as possible so I can afford to do upgrades.
I've done a bit of research and the bikes that looked like decent options where:
Merida big nine limited - https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/553-755/bignine-limited-al
Trek x-caliber 8 - https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/28064/?colorCode=black
Scott scale 980 - https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-scale-980-black-red-bike?article=274601010
Can anyone give me some advice, along with what parts I should look to upgrade first.


take a look at what is available around you, if you buy local, you will have easy service, and warranty, which will help you a ton when you are just starting out

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 3:36 Quote
traqs wrote:
FLX7 wrote:
Hi,
I've been interested in xc mountain biking for a while now and I'd like to give it a go. So I want to get some thing that I can do some racing on as well as just riding around local woods.
Price range: Under £1000 and ideally as little as possible so I can afford to do upgrades.
I've done a bit of research and the bikes that looked like decent options where:
Merida big nine limited - https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/553-755/bignine-limited-al
Trek x-caliber 8 - https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/28064/?colorCode=black
Scott scale 980 - https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-scale-980-black-red-bike?article=274601010
Can anyone give me some advice, along with what parts I should look to upgrade first.


take a look at what is available around you, if you buy local, you will have easy service, and warranty, which will help you a ton when you are just starting out

There's only one shop around me and their stuff is either really high end or total beginner.

Posted: Jan 2, 2020 at 18:29 Quote
FLX7 wrote:
Hi,
I've been interested in xc mountain biking for a while now and I'd like to give it a go. So I want to get some thing that I can do some racing on as well as just riding around local woods.
Price range: Under £1000 and ideally as little as possible so I can afford to do upgrades.
I've done a bit of research and the bikes that looked like decent options where:
Merida big nine limited - https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/553-755/bignine-limited-al
Trek x-caliber 8 - https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/28064/?colorCode=black
Scott scale 980 - https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-scale-980-black-red-bike?article=274601010
Can anyone give me some advice, along with what parts I should look to upgrade first.


That Scott looks good. You arent gonna get anything fancy for under 1k, but honestly, it will do the job.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 5:47 Quote
Hey, I'm in the market for a 29" trail/all mountain full suspension. I am coming from a crappy hardtail that is falling apart as I speak. I'm looking to spend $2000 give or take. I have my eyes on the Vitus Mythique VRX, but I have heard it might not be worth my cash. Does anyone have this? If not, any suggestions, I'm open to just about anything?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006091
Mobile Version of Website