Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 20:22 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
Hey, I'm in the market for a 29" trail/all mountain full suspension. I am coming from a crappy hardtail that is falling apart as I speak. I'm looking to spend $2000 give or take. I have my eyes on the Vitus Mythique VRX, but I have heard it might not be worth my cash. Does anyone have this? If not, any suggestions, I'm open to just about anything?

Sorry, you did not get the response I expected... I’ve looked closer at the Mythique VRX and it is pretty sweet ‘bit of kit’ with the Bomber Z2 fork, other components are decent, the bike IS worth the cash, just SX is the weak link... therefore budget for at least a derailleur replacement if and when the SX fails...that goes for any of these SX spec’d bikes. You have my blessing...

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 6:48 Quote
Hello Guys !

I just joined the forum.
I Live in Luxembourg and I would like to buy a MTB hardtail for under or arround 600 euro.
Also I am around 1.70meter tall should I get a 29''?
Do you have any suggestions?

https://www.trekbikes.com/be/fr_BE/v%C3%A9los/vtt/vtt-cross-country/marlin/marlin-7/p/23120/

Or Trek X-Caliber 7

This ?

Many thanks

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
Sohal wrote:
Hello Guys !

I just joined the forum.
I Live in Luxembourg and I would like to buy a MTB hardtail for under or arround 600 euro.
Also I am around 1.70meter tall should I get a 29''?
Do you have any suggestions?

https://www.trekbikes.com/be/fr_BE/v%C3%A9los/vtt/vtt-cross-country/marlin/marlin-7/p/23120/

Or Trek X-Caliber 7

This ?

Many thanks

Yeah! those are great for the price range.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 4:14 Quote
Anybody got any opinions on the $1500 Ragleys. They almost all have SX Eagle, but do they ride well. Also @Sohal, those are great bikes for the price.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
Anybody got any opinions on the $1500 Ragleys. They almost all have SX Eagle, but do they ride well. Also @Sohal, those are great bikes for the price.

Ive never seen them before, but they look good!

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 15:26 Quote
Hello all, i'm looking to upgrade in the new year from my 2013 Norco Katmandu, which i just had to repair again. i'm considering upgrading to a brand new hardtail, but i'm also thinking of buying a fully used. My current options that i'm looking at buying new are, but now limited to (perfectly open to suggestions elsewhere):

- 2020 Norco Fluid HT 3
- 2020 Trek Roscoe 7
- 2020 Giant Talon 1
- 2020 Kona Blast

My budget is $1700 CAD max.
i generally ride xc trails, with some all-mountain riding. if i buy used, i'd be looking for something 150mm max.
in terms of sizing, i generally fall into an XL (6'3"), but an L might work if it would fit.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give, since i'm trying to get back into mountain biking after a three year hiatus.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
Check out what Ragley has to offer...Marley, Big Al...

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
agentM101 wrote:
Hello all, i'm looking to upgrade in the new year from my 2013 Norco Katmandu, which i just had to repair again. i'm considering upgrading to a brand new hardtail, but i'm also thinking of buying a fully used. My current options that i'm looking at buying new are, but now limited to (perfectly open to suggestions elsewhere):

- 2020 Norco Fluid HT 3
- 2020 Trek Roscoe 7
- 2020 Giant Talon 1
- 2020 Kona Blast

My budget is $1700 CAD max.
i generally ride xc trails, with some all-mountain riding. if i buy used, i'd be looking for something 150mm max.
in terms of sizing, i generally fall into an XL (6'3"), but an L might work if it would fit.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give, since i'm trying to get back into mountain biking after a three year hiatus.

Those are all great! Also check out the Orbea Alma h50 from JensonUSA

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 8:32 Quote
LuciferMorningStar wrote:
Hi guys...I have a POS dual suspension MTB with ok components..I want to get something about $2k and am looking at:
Jamis Parker II
Haro Porter Comp
Kona Stinky
Specialized Pitch or bighit
I have a decent BMX background and want something all mountain with the versatility to to DJ and DH if so inclined..Also something that can take a beating.. I am 5'10 and umm 225 on a good day...I like the bikes with the air versus the coil over because, corrrect me if im wrong, I can lock out the rear and now i have a hardtail?
Also, the local shop has a 08 giant glory 0 for a clearance price of 1750 out the door...I know its a good price, only problem is its a small.. I am thinking of getting it, picking up a new frame and selling the old (new) frame...Thoughts??? please help...thanks!

The Giant Glory is a downhill bike, and wont be good for all mountain. You can't pedal it up anything. I would reccomend the Polygon Siskiu T7. Its brand new for $1800 or so.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 11:56 Quote
Hi guys...I have a POS dual suspension MTB with ok components..I want to get something about $2k and am looking at:
Jamis Parker II
Haro Porter Comp
Kona Stinky
I have a decent BMX background and want something all mountain with the versatility to to DJ and DH if so inclined..Also something that can take a beating.. I am 5'10 and umm 225 on a good day...I like the bikes with the air versus the coil over because, corrrect me if im wrong, I can lock out the rear and now i have a hardtail?
Also, the local shop has a 08 giant glory 0 for a clearance price of 1750 out the door...I know its a good price, only problem is its a small.. I am thinking of getting it, picking up a new frame and selling the old (new) frame...Thoughts??? please help...thanks!

Depends on the shock. Cheap shocks are more likely to not lock up completely, eg still moves with the whole travel but stiffer.

Posted: Feb 5, 2020 at 18:03 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
Jamis Parker II
Haro Porter Comp
Kona Stinky

Depends on the shock. Cheap shocks are more likely to not lock up completely, eg still moves with the whole travel but stiffer.
all shocks are like that. Anything with a full lockout will break if you jump on it locked out.

Posted: Feb 6, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
I meant my shock when locked doesn't move at all when pedalling ie 0% sag but my first bike it moved as soon as I sat on it, when locked, ie 35%sag. Big difference to geometry.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
I meant my shock when locked doesn't move at all when pedalling ie 0% sag but my first bike it moved as soon as I sat on it, when locked, ie 35%sag. Big difference to geometry.

Yeah, I understood.

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 17:19 Quote
Beginner here with a roughly $1200 budget, should I go with a 2020 Atroz 3 for 1050 or a 2019 Marin Hawk Hill 1 for 1200?

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
twerwath12 wrote:
Beginner here with a roughly $1200 budget, should I go with a 2020 Atroz 3 for 1050 or a 2019 Marin Hawk Hill 1 for 1200?

Marin for sure. Much more reputable brand, and the lower end diamondback bikes have always had screwy geometry (in my opinion).

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007038
Mobile Version of Website