Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Author Message
Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 7:51 Quote
daRRko wrote:
Hi Guys! I am new here, and pretty new in MTB sport. I would like to get a new bike and have some options I am considering, and I would like your advice. I had some Cube XC hardtail, so it wouldn't be my first mtb, but I don't have much experience with trails and would like to start riding more. Most of the trails around here, Netherlands, are green, so perfect to learn. I don't know much about the components, but I want to learn.
I would like to have a bike that I don't have to change parts already, as I want to learn that and eventually tune-up later.

Budget ~800usd, 750e
I am considering one of these bikes, looking for the best bang for the buck (these are available to buy here in Europe):

GT avalanche elite
GT avalanche sport (considered bc of the price)
Vitus nucleus
Kona Fire Mountain 2020
Kona Mahuna 2020
Trek Marlin 7
Marin San Quentin 1
Kona Lana'l 2020
Kona Lava Dome


I would also appreciate some logic behind why some specific bike, if that is not too much to ask Smile

Thanks!
I currently work at a shop that deals Kona and they are great bikes. At the price range they are pretty good and we've never had anything but good remarks and basic component wear that all bikes have. My little brother had a Marlin and it was great until he snapped the rear axle, which was due to excessive casing. If I were you stick with the Marlin or the Konas.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
New to the sport. I have three options I am considering:

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon C - NX Build
Ibis Ripley - NX build
Pivot Trail 429 XT Race build

I live in Austin, TX and while I am in great shape, have played about every sport, mountain biking is new to me. I want something that will do well for the types of trails we have here in Austin, but also capable of bigger downhill type rides in CO, CA, or UT.

I am completely torn - any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
jlosurdo wrote:
New to the sport. I have three options I am considering:

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon C - NX Build
Ibis Ripley - NX build
Pivot Trail 429 XT Race build

I live in Austin, TX and while I am in great shape, have played about every sport, mountain biking is new to me. I want something that will do well for the types of trails we have here in Austin, but also capable of bigger downhill type rides in CO, CA, or UT.

I am completely torn - any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I would opt for a pivot. but since you want a bike also capable for larger rides, I would go for a Pivot Mach 5.5, Mach 6 or the new switchblade. Also the Santa Cruz Bronson. I know you wanted one of the options listed, but a bit more travel would suit your needs as a "Do it all" Bike. One more option would be the Transition Scout or Patrol (Patrol if you wanna be harder hitting)
In my opinion. depending on how often you ride bigger parks and more dh stuff. i would go for the Mach 5.5, Switchblade or Scout if you ride more in austin. If you plan to make more trips to other parks, go for the Transition Patrol, Mach 6 or the Bronson. I'm biased to Pivot as i love the way their bikes ride sooo Smile

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
agreed, if you want to do gravity oriented stuff, you will want something longer and slacker with more travel than those options

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 7:26 Quote
jlosurdo wrote:
New to the sport. I have three options I am considering:

Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon C - NX Build
Ibis Ripley - NX build
Pivot Trail 429 XT Race build

I live in Austin, TX and while I am in great shape, have played about every sport, mountain biking is new to me. I want something that will do well for the types of trails we have here in Austin, but also capable of bigger downhill type rides in CO, CA, or UT.

I am completely torn - any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
What these guys are saying is true......if you're considering the old Tallboy. Go read some reviews on the 2020 tallboy. People say it shreds like an enduro bike. Considering you live in Texas, I think that getting something with more travel isn't the best idea, even if you want to travel with it. The Ibis is ok, just nothing super special happening over there.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
Hey there
My first post here so bear with me. Just recently moved to North America and I want to get into biking again. Back home I had norco sasqautch 2008. I was looking to buy norco sasquatch again or Kona stinky 2009.
I liked the feel of sasquatch, big fork and really good frame. I am also looking into full suspension with with single crown.
I would use bike daily to ride to work and take it later to some trials around town.
Budget would be 1000 Cad$
Thank you for all the answers!

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
Lasina wrote:
Hey there
My first post here so bear with me. Just recently moved to North America and I want to get into biking again. Back home I had norco sasqautch 2008. I was looking to buy norco sasquatch again or Kona stinky 2009.
I liked the feel of sasquatch, big fork and really good frame. I am also looking into full suspension with with single crown.
I would use bike daily to ride to work and take it later to some trials around town.
Budget would be 1000 Cad$
Thank you for all the answers!
Pay a liiiitle extra ($449 usd) and get the Marin Hawkhill 1. It's a great package and there was a pretty big discussion on it like in the last 2 weeks on this forum. Scroll back a few pages and youll find it.
This is almost my 6th year of riding and 2nd year in dh. And more often than not I find myself grabbing my 2017 Hawkhill over my dh rig for dh riding

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 15:07 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Lasina wrote:
Hey there
My first post here so bear with me. Just recently moved to North America and I want to get into biking again. Back home I had norco sasqautch 2008. I was looking to buy norco sasquatch again or Kona stinky 2009.
I liked the feel of sasquatch, big fork and really good frame. I am also looking into full suspension with with single crown.
I would use bike daily to ride to work and take it later to some trials around town.
Budget would be 1000 Cad$
Thank you for all the answers!
Pay a liiiitle extra ($449 usd) and get the Marin Hawkhill 1. It's a great package and there was a pretty big discussion on it like in the last 2 weeks on this forum. Scroll back a few pages and youll find it.
This is almost my 6th year of riding and 2nd year in dh. And more often than not I find myself grabbing my 2017 Hawkhill over my dh rig for dh riding
Do you mean buy it brand new, or look for something used. I tried looking up local sites for 2nd hand stuff and couldn't find any. Nor did I find anything store related for hawkhill 1.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
Lasina wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Lasina wrote:
Hey there
My first post here so bear with me. Just recently moved to North America and I want to get into biking again. Back home I had norco sasqautch 2008. I was looking to buy norco sasquatch again or Kona stinky 2009.
I liked the feel of sasquatch, big fork and really good frame. I am also looking into full suspension with with single crown.
I would use bike daily to ride to work and take it later to some trials around town.
Budget would be 1000 Cad$
Thank you for all the answers!
Pay a liiiitle extra ($449 usd) and get the Marin Hawkhill 1. It's a great package and there was a pretty big discussion on it like in the last 2 weeks on this forum. Scroll back a few pages and youll find it.
This is almost my 6th year of riding and 2nd year in dh. And more often than not I find myself grabbing my 2017 Hawkhill over my dh rig for dh riding
Do you mean buy it brand new, or look for something used. I tried looking up local sites for 2nd hand stuff and couldn't find any. Nor did I find anything store related for hawkhill 1.

New. It'll be Off the Marin Website. You can them directly from marin shipped to your house

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
Lasina wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

Pay a liiiitle extra ($449 usd) and get the Marin Hawkhill 1. It's a great package and there was a pretty big discussion on it like in the last 2 weeks on this forum. Scroll back a few pages and youll find it.
This is almost my 6th year of riding and 2nd year in dh. And more often than not I find myself grabbing my 2017 Hawkhill over my dh rig for dh riding
Do you mean buy it brand new, or look for something used. I tried looking up local sites for 2nd hand stuff and couldn't find any. Nor did I find anything store related for hawkhill 1.

New. It'll be Off the Marin Website. You can them directly from marin shipped to your house
Just checked online and price for new one ir around 2000 cad, that is little bit out of my budget. I will probabl sertle for something 2nd hand. Thank you for suggestion regardles.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 12:59 Quote
Yea, at that budget look at 2nd hand... PB Buy/Sell has plenty of listings in Canadia...

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 17:59 Quote
Hello- looking into getting the rsd middle child alloy. Wanted to get some feedback on the bike. I will be going from my DB catch 1 (2016)

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 18:44 Quote
sangier wrote:
Hello- looking into getting the rsd middle child alloy. Wanted to get some feedback on the bike. I will be going from my DB catch 1 (2016)
What price range are you looking at? If you are going for just trail riding, something like a Norco Sight A1, or a Commencal Meta Tr 29 would be perfect. If you are wanting something more aggressive or something for more XC-ish rides, just say the word.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
sangier wrote:
Hello- looking into getting the rsd middle child alloy. Wanted to get some feedback on the bike. I will be going from my DB catch 1 (2016)

As Shaffered said, you gotta let us know what dicipline you're planning on riding in. Ex. If you were doing Xc riding, a Scott Ransom is probably not the most adequate choice.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 19:48 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
sangier wrote:
Hello- looking into getting the rsd middle child alloy. Wanted to get some feedback on the bike. I will be going from my DB catch 1 (2016)
What price range are you looking at? If you are going for just trail riding, something like a Norco Sight A1, or a Commencal Meta Tr 29 would be perfect. If you are wanting something more aggressive or something for more XC-ish rides, just say the word.

I have been riding for over a year, and already have a full-sus but am looking to get the rsd middlechild for a ht.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005912
Mobile Version of Website