Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
sangier wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:
sangier wrote:
Hello- looking into getting the rsd middle child alloy. Wanted to get some feedback on the bike. I will be going from my DB catch 1 (2016)
What price range are you looking at? If you are going for just trail riding, something like a Norco Sight A1, or a Commencal Meta Tr 29 would be perfect. If you are wanting something more aggressive or something for more XC-ish rides, just say the word.

I have been riding for over a year, and already have a full-sus but am looking to get the rsd middlechild for a ht.

Ohhhhh, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, that midllechild looks awesome. Its definitely an aggressive hardtail. If you're looking to get rowdy, thats' a bike for it.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 21:59 Quote
sangier wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:
sangier wrote:
Hello- looking into getting the rsd middle child alloy. Wanted to get some feedback on the bike. I will be going from my DB catch 1 (2016)
What price range are you looking at? If you are going for just trail riding, something like a Norco Sight A1, or a Commencal Meta Tr 29 would be perfect. If you are wanting something more aggressive or something for more XC-ish rides, just say the word.

I have been riding for over a year, and already have a full-sus but am looking to get the rsd middlechild for a ht.
you're going to have to be a little more specific than that. Whats the intended use for this hardtail? I see that the MiddleChild is a 150mm hardtail. However, you need to tell us how you plan to ride it(it'll help us figure if you're looking at the right bike.)

Its a pretty aggressive hardtail should do everything just fine, SUPER slack. Probably wont be the best should you want to pedal it on XC trails or pavement (if thats what you intend to use it for)

But to be honest, it'll be a pretty amazing do it all when you don't feel like working with full sus rig.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
sangier wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:

you're going to have to be a little more specific than that. Whats the intended use for this hardtail? I see that the MiddleChild is a 150mm hardtail. However, you need to tell us how you plan to ride it(it'll help us figure if you're looking at the right bike.)

Its a pretty aggressive hardtail should do everything just fine, SUPER slack. Probably wont be the best should you want to pedal it on XC trails or pavement (if thats what you intend to use it for)

But to be honest, it'll be a pretty amazing do it all when you don't feel like working with full sus rig.

I will use the bike at a local bike park and hit blue and black trails. I want to get that bike since it should do well dh and be decent for climbing

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 9:11 Quote
sangier wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
sangier wrote:

I will use the bike at a local bike park and hit blue and black trails. I want to get that bike since it should do well dh and be decent for climbing

Then it should be perfect for you. I would run Cush core in the back just for a little bit more traction and compliance, but that whip is perfect for ya

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 11:34 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
sangier wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:

Then it should be perfect for you. I would run Cush core in the back just for a little bit more traction and compliance, but that whip is perfect for ya
Yeah for sure. The enduro-y hardtails are really super cool. Another option from a bigger brand at a similar price is the Commencal Meta HT. (if you haven't noticed,i'm kinda biased twards commencal.) I think it goes down to $1199?

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 16:39 Quote
I looked at the commencal but
Shafferd912 wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
sangier wrote:

Yeah for sure. The enduro-y hardtails are really super cool. Another option from a bigger brand at a similar price is the Commencal Meta HT. (if you haven't noticed,i'm kinda biased twards commencal.) I think it goes down to $1199?

I looked at the Meta but the middlechild just appeals to me more. still looks like a cool ht though

Posted: Mar 3, 2020 at 14:27 Quote
Any thoughts on a 2017 Spesh Enduro Comp 27.5 vs Intense Tracer Foundation? Different parts on the Tracer, not stock, Spesh is less expensive, mostly want to compare the frames/bikes how they ride. I've heard that both are great but I've heard cautions about piggish climbing for both...

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 5:32 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Any thoughts on a 2017 Spesh Enduro Comp 27.5 vs Intense Tracer Foundation? Different parts on the Tracer, not stock, Spesh is less expensive, mostly want to compare the frames/bikes how they ride. I've heard that both are great but I've heard cautions about piggish climbing for both...

Never would buy a specialized. Biggest hunks of sh*t on the market. Horrid spec and proprietary crap

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:

Never would buy a specialized. Biggest hunks of sh*t on the market. Horrid spec and proprietary crap
I can agree. Everyone I know who has owned a specialized enduro (not the new one) has blown one or many rear shocks. I didn't hear that online at all, but its been like, 7 people who have told me.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 8:13 Quote
The Enduro I'm looking at is solid and not full of proprietary stuff, and the price is such... the spec is pointless. As I said, I'm looking for experience on how they ride/climb, not spec or anything thanks. Also I don't really care that the Tracer is carbon and the Enduro is alloy, so please no one make a huge deal out of that.
Thanks.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
The Enduro I'm looking at is solid and not full of proprietary stuff, and the price is such... the spec is pointless. As I said, I'm looking for experience on how they ride/climb, not spec or anything thanks. Also I don't really care that the Tracer is carbon and the Enduro is alloy, so please no one make a huge deal out of that.
Thanks.

Neither of the bikes have known to be a particularly nippy climber. But I'm sure that if that was your focus, you would buy an XC hardtail. I would go with the Intense. Its known to be a very snappy, responsive bike, that jumps and descends very well.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Thanks.

Neither of the bikes have known to be a particularly nippy climber. But I'm sure that if that was your focus, you would buy an XC hardtail. I would go with the Intense. Its known to be a very snappy, responsive bike, that jumps and descends very well.

Thanks. In fact, my bike is an XC hardtail haha... so I appreciate something that climbs well but I don't want to be so beat up on DH...
That's my only debate... get an easily available enduro bike that could definitely handle it, or look for a "trail" bike that would honestly probably still handle almost everything but be easier to pedal... trying to find where to draw that line

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Thanks.

Thanks. In fact, my bike is an XC hardtail haha... so I appreciate something that climbs well but I don't want to be so beat up on DH...
That's my only debate... get an easily available enduro bike that could definitely handle it, or look for a "trail" bike that would honestly probably still handle almost everything but be easier to pedal... trying to find where to draw that line

Ooh, depending on your price range. look at something like the YT Jeffsey, or Commencal Meta TR. (not to be confused with AM) These both climb like trail bikes and descend like enduro bikes. The Meta gets down to $2K, and the Jeffsey down to $2.3K. Both super super good bikes if youre looking for an enduro/trail cross.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Thanks.

I would keep the xc hardtail for the climbing aand get a longer travel trail bike or AM. 140-160. Used SC Bronson. Yt jeffsey, canyon spectral or a diamondback release. Really can't say I recommend getting a specialized, last time I took a rip on an enduro, that thing had more pedal Bob than my Wilson. The ride was pretty boring. It was right smack in the middle between a "party bike" and a monster truck". It felt like it was just doing its thing, and I was a passenger on the darn thing. Climbing the enduro was probably slower than just hiking tbh. You'd have to pay me to have an enduro (not the new one)
The only real "do it all bike" I can really think that exists is the diamondback release 150/130. It can take on whistler, I rode it on some trails and it was very playful but still quite stable.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:

I would keep the xc hardtail for the climbing aand get a longer travel trail bike or AM. 140-160. Used SC Bronson. Yt jeffsey, canyon spectral or a diamondback release. Really can't say I recommend getting a specialized, last time I took a rip on an enduro, that thing had more pedal Bob than my Wilson. The ride was pretty boring. It was right smack in the middle between a "party bike" and a monster truck". It felt like it was just doing its thing, and I was a passenger on the darn thing. Climbing the enduro was probably slower than just hiking tbh. You'd have to pay me to have an enduro (not the new one)
The only real "do it all bike" I can think of that could suit your needs is the diamondback release 150/130 travel. It can take on whistler, I rode it on some trails and it was very playful but still quite stable.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006149
Mobile Version of Website