Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
Thanks for the info . I am going to check out the Fuse at my local shop that has a couple in stock.
Good point about going the used route, not really looking to do repairs .

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:01 Quote
Another thing to consider - new bikes come with a warranty.

You should try and demo as many bikes as you can. I don't what kind of terrain you are planning on riding but you owe it to yourself to demo a full suspension or two. It might surprise you how good fs bikes are these days. They climb and descend well.

Hardtails are definitely great fun too. Whatever you get, you'll have a lot of fun.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
Was thinking about full suspension but I don’t see myself doing anything too technical or radical. Would it be overkill to have a fs if I was just riding trails at a nearby park that was mostly small hills and trails around lakes and streams?
I will try a few out though, as I have never ridden a fs.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
Not really. Something in the 100mm-120mm range would work great. Also, it's easier on the body absorbing the bumps and ruts.

Demo both pick and what suits you best.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2660353/
rockcliffe wrote:
Looking to get back into mountain biking after 10 years away.
My last bike was a Kona Cinder Cone from the early 2000's. I think a hard tail is what I would like to stick with and am looking to keep the price under 2000 USD. Read reviews here for the Specialized Fuse Comp 29 and the Marin San Quentin and the Rocky Mountain Growler 20. Does one of these stand out, or other suggestions?
Also, is buying used a risky option?Thanks for any help.

I would opt for the San quinten as I like the aggressive geometry more. You can throw just about anything at it and itll eat it up
Regarding a used bike, I wouldn't be scared of buying used. I got my latest DH bike used. I would just take a look at the seller's history and the pictures hes got on the listing. The bike should be sparkly clean. If its wet in the photo's he definitely hiding something.(if he didn't take the time to make the bike look amazing, chances are the rest of the bike is horrible) The listing should have a solid description, not some dinky 1-7 lines of just crap. If he/she says there's nothing wrong with the bike, they're lying. seller should be knowledgeable, ask to see the serial number of the bike and run it on some local sites to see if its stolen( if the seller is sketchy and dodgy, chances is that its stolen) Other than that, If you intend to buy used, keep around $500 on had to make repairs, (Brake pads, tires, grips etc) I ended up swapping the rims, front brake caliper, brake hose and derailleur on my used dh.

My personal listings are kind of over the top with the details, but I don't think you can ever have too many details. Any listing i might bite on has at least 1/4 of the text as the one i've linked(check the top of the reply)

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 22:11 Quote
I've been road riding for a while but the mountains are calling...
Looking for advice as to a good first mountain bike to get. I was leaning hardtail because of cost and its climbing benefits (and I like that exercise aspect similar to road riding). However, I live in Washington and have many big mountains nearby to explore (or perhaps, "shred" someday), so maybe a full-suspension would be better? My budget is 2,000 max, but I'd feel way better about 1000-1500 in these uncertain times. Definitely down for a used bike also! Any tips, models, or recommendations would be appreciated!

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 3:33 Quote
brlangwa wrote:
...Looking for advice as to a good first mountain bike to get. I was leaning hardtail because of cost and its climbing benefits (and I like that exercise aspect similar to road riding). However, I live in Washington and have many big mountains nearby to explore (or perhaps, "shred" someday), so maybe a full-suspension would be better? My budget is 2,000 max, but I'd feel way better about 1000-1500 in these uncertain times...
Check out the PInkBike Field Trip review of the VITUS MYTHIQUE 29 VRX...it’s the bee’s knees...

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
MTBrandonlee

Thanks for the good advice.your ads certainly give great information!

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
I have a couple questions regarding a new bike. I can only spend about $900, and was eyeing the Vitus Sentier with a Deore 1x10 drive train, 130 mm X-fusion RC32 fork, and no dropper on sale on Chain Reaction Cycles for $800. As I get more money I'm planning on upgrading the parts, so thats not a huge concern. I plan on riding at a bike park (Highland) and just on my local trails. I also do some dirt jumping, but I use a BMX for that now so it wont be a deal breaker if it isnt good at dirt jumping. My main concerns are 1. Does anyone know what its like getting a bike from CRC shipped to the U.S. and 2. Will the geo be agressive enough?. I was considering slackening out the head angle with a headset from Works Components if needed (to make it 65 degrees from 66) but the other aspects of the bike I wont be able to change.

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long post

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 9:02 Quote
brlangwa wrote:
I've been road riding for a while but the mountains are calling...
Looking for advice as to a good first mountain bike to get. I was leaning hardtail because of cost and its climbing benefits (and I like that exercise aspect similar to road riding). However, I live in Washington and have many big mountains nearby to explore (or perhaps, "shred" someday), so maybe a full-suspension would be better? My budget is 2,000 max, but I'd feel way better about 1000-1500 in these uncertain times. Definitely down for a used bike also! Any tips, models, or recommendations would be appreciated!

I will admit I don't own a mtb but ive done tons of research because im also loooking for one... Chromomag seems like they have great agressive hardtails, but I think in your budget you would have to buy a frame and build it up unless you are looking at buying a used one. The Commensal AM Meta HT is also a great agressive bike you can get for cheap, and if you were looking at a full squish, i would reccomend watching Pinkbikes field test video on the Vitus Mythtique

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:14 Quote
Hey everyone,

My cousins directed me here and I have to say, this site is awesome! Reminds me allot of NASIOC (subaru community).

Anyways, I'm ready to get into MTBing. I recently moved to North Bend WA (Wilderness Rim neighborhood), and have a bunch of trails right near my house. I've done a bit of hiking, but biking looks like more fun.

As for experience... well I know how to ride a bike but that's about it.

I've done a bit of research and am currently leaning towards a hardtail. Price point ~$500

I'm torn on used v new. I'll likely go with one of the new bikes below, or a used bike from the classifieds. If you have a strong opinion please let me know as I know jack squatt about MTB's.

New
Giant ATX 2/3 (I want disc brakes)
Raleigh Talus 3
Diamondback Overdrive

Used:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2744649/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2749920/ (This looks a bit overkill, and quite old tbh)

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
oct6454 wrote:
Hey everyone,

My cousins directed me here and I have to say, this site is awesome! Reminds me allot of NASIOC (subaru community).

Anyways, I'm ready to get into MTBing. I recently moved to North Bend WA (Wilderness Rim neighborhood), and have a bunch of trails right near my house. I've done a bit of hiking, but biking looks like more fun.

I've done a bit of research and am currently leaning towards a hardtail. Price point ~$500

I'm torn on used v new. I'll likely go with one of the new bikes below, or a used bike from the classifieds. If you have a strong opinion please let me know as I know jack squatt about MTB's.

New
Raleigh Talus 3
Diamondback Overdrive

Used:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2749920/ (This looks a bit overkill, and quite old tbh)

Took a look at both the used bikes you listed and tbh i wouldn't recommend either. If i had to go with one of the new ones you listed, it would be the Talus, The ATX is okay, same with the DB(Big Diamondback fan) but i think the talus will give you what you want the most. If i was gonna get a hardtail, I would scrap the extra $$$ and get a Marin San Quentin 1, you can ride that think off a frigging cliff and it'll take it, 2 of the kids in my crew ride San Quentin's and have a crazy amount of fun on the trails and bike park. Obviously the San quentin is a very aggressive hardtail, if its a bit too aggressive, the Marin Nail traill is also an amazing bike as well. Nothing against Raleigh, but when i had my DB Recoil(XC/trail) bike, I outgrew it very very fast. In the sense that i was trying to go faster on the downhills and the geo was definitely not slack enough for my needs.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
undescended wrote:
brlangwa wrote:
...Looking for advice as to a good first mountain bike to get. I was leaning hardtail because of cost and its climbing benefits (and I like that exercise aspect similar to road riding). However, I live in Washington and have many big mountains nearby to explore (or perhaps, "shred" someday), so maybe a full-suspension would be better? My budget is 2,000 max, but I'd feel way better about 1000-1500 in these uncertain times...
Check out the PInkBike Field Trip review of the VITUS MYTHIQUE 29 VRX...it’s the bee’s knees...

Marin Hawkhill 1
Marin Rift Zone 1

Both amazing options, and like others did say the VItus is a hella good bike as well. I have a Hawkhill, so i'm a tad bit biased, but the hawkhill really is one of the most playful bikes i've owned

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
oct6454 wrote:
Hey everyone,

New
Raleigh Talus 3
Diamondback Overdrive

Used:

Took a look at both the used bikes you listed and tbh i wouldn't recommend either. If i had to go with one of the new ones you listed, it would be the Talus, The ATX is okay, same with the DB(Big Diamondback fan) but i think the talus will give you what you want the most. If i was gonna get a hardtail, I would scrap the extra $$$ and get a Marin San Quentin 1, you can ride that think off a frigging cliff and it'll take it, 2 of the kids in my crew ride San Quentin's and have a crazy amount of fun on the trails and bike park. Obviously the San quentin is a very aggressive hardtail, if its a bit too aggressive, the Marin Nail traill is also an amazing bike as well. Nothing against Raleigh, but when i had my DB Recoil(XC/trail) bike, I outgrew it very very fast. In the sense that i was trying to go faster on the downhills and the geo was definitely not slack enough for my needs.

The Vitus Nucleus seems to be a bike with decent geometry, nothing too agressive but still good for trail riding, and you can get it starting at $650 from CHain Reaction Cycles

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
Thanks for the advice Brandon! I just checked out the Marin and it looks legit!

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to find one used, or may my stimulus check will help me out.

BTW: Why would you not recommend either of those used bikes? Just for my knowledge I'd like to know what turned you off to those bikes for my use case.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007555
Mobile Version of Website