Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 11:12 Quote
oct6454 wrote:
Thanks for the advice Brandon! I just checked out the Marin and it looks legit!

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to find one used, or may my stimulus check will help me out.

BTW: Why would you not recommend either of those used bikes? Just for my knowledge I'd like to know what turned you off to those bikes for my use case.

Yep, No problem! The Kona doesn't look bad, but honestly I think you can get a better spec for the money on a new bike of the same price. As for the Specialized, The geometry on a bike of that age will feel like you're riding a tall bike. It'll be pretty twitchy on a lot of stuff. Nothing against older bikes, heck some people can rip them harder than I can on my "newer" bikes. But with a bike of that age, parts get a bit harder to find.
Keep up posted on what you decide to get!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
oct6454 wrote:

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to find one used, or may my stimulus check will help me out.

BTW: Why would you not recommend either of those used bikes? Just for my knowledge I'd like to know what turned you off to those bikes for my use case.

Yep, No problem! The Kona doesn't look bad, but honestly I think you can get a better spec for the money on a new bike of the same price. As for the Specialized, The geometry on a bike of that age will feel like you're riding a tall bike. It'll be pretty twitchy on a lot of stuff. Nothing against older bikes, heck some people can rip them harder than I can on my "newer" bikes. But with a bike of that age, parts get a bit harder to find.

Hey Brandon,

I just made the purchase. I went with a Specialized Rockhopper. Not the best by any means but it was on sale for $440 at my local shop that's been hit hard by COVID so I decided to take the plunge! https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-rockhopper/p/134064?color=240216-134064&searchText=81218-7302

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
oct6454 wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
oct6454 wrote:

Hey Brandon,

I just made the purchase. I went with a Specialized Rockhopper. Not the best by any means but it was on sale for $440 at my local shop that's been hit hard by COVID so I decided to take the plunge! https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens-rockhopper/p/134064?color=240216-134064&searchText=81218-7302

Sounds Sick man! My current riding buddy also started on a rockhopper. Its a sweet whip for sure! helps ya hone all the small technical skills of riding. Stay safe too and happy shredding!

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
Hi,

I’m quite new to mtb and mainly want to do downhill with a mix of technical and jumping.
I’m 5ft 6in and weigh 60kg so definitely in need of a small frame haha.

My budget is about £1000 but preferably a bit less and I’m intending to buy a full suspension trail or all mountain bike as I would like to be able to ride it uphill as well with relative ease

Just asking if anyone has suggestions for new or second hand bikes that will be reliable and allow me to do all I want to.

Cheers!

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
jacob-towler wrote:
Hi,

I’m quite new to mtb and mainly want to do downhill with a mix of technical and jumping.

My budget is about £1000 but preferably a bit less and I’m intending to buy a full suspension trail or all mountain bike as I would like to be able to ride it uphill as well with relative ease

Just asking if anyone has suggestions for new or second hand bikes that will be reliable and allow me to do all I want to.

Cheers!

I know it is slightly over your budget but the Calibre Bossnut is now £1100 from Go Outdoors. MBUK and many of the others have given it some excellent reviews, you are getting an awful lot of bike for your money.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903684/calibre-bossnut-mountain-bike-15903684

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:24 Quote
mark-p wrote:
jacob-towler wrote:
Hi,

Cheers!

I know it is slightly over your budget but the Calibre Bossnut is now £1100 from Go Outdoors. MBUK and many of the others have given it some excellent reviews, you are getting an awful lot of bike for your money.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903684/calibre-bossnut-mountain-bike-15903684

That’s awesome, just had a look at it and it seems really promising. Cheers for your help mate

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
jacob-towler wrote:
Hi,

Cheers!

What do you mean by "Downhill"
Rgarinding bike recommendations, I can't say enough about the Marin San Quinten, Couple guys in my group rip those at our local dh park. Hardtails teach you tons of skills, hence why its recommended to start on one. (since you mentioned that you are quite new to MTB)

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 17:18 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
jacob-towler wrote:
Hi,

Cheers!

What do you mean by "Downhill"
Rgarinding bike recommendations, I can't say enough about the Marin San Quinten, Couple guys in my group rip those at our local dh park. Hardtails teach you tons of skills, hence why its recommended to start on one. (since you mentioned that you are quite new to MTB)

By downhill I mainly mean that there’s very limited riding uphill and mainly just pushing up then riding down, my local is a dh park as well. There’s still a bit of uphill riding and when I go to other places I wanna be able to be adaptable to different terrains etc. And yeah I’ve been recommended a couple of hard tails but from the bikes I’ve been borrowing I’ve much preferred using a full sus bike, I think it’s quite a bit of I just feel more comfortable on it but then again most bikes feel different to each other. I will have a look at the Marin though

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 22:59 Quote
Hey guys, I apologize in advance for my redundant form of questioning. I’m stuck between 2 bikes right now and was hoping for some help deciding amongst the 2 or any similar suggestions. I’m fairly new in the mountain biking world and have a GT aggressor right now, which I quickly found out lacks in a lot of areas. I’ll be working my way up to more difficult trails and doing some jumping with my brother. I’m stuck between the Marin San Quentin 1 2020 and the Giant Fathom 2 2020. I can get the San Quentin from JensonUSA to my door for 904 and I haven’t been able to get a solid price on the Fathom. Like I said, I enjoy trail riding and I am somewhat familiar with jumping bikes from experience as a teen and hope to get better. Thanks for any help!

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 6:30 Quote
I have no experience with either bike, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but looking at the bikes the Marin has better geometry, while the Giant has better components. I would go with the Giant.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 10:08 Quote
For me, I would go with the Marin because of the geo. Components can be upgraded but you can’t change the geometry

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to mountain biking and am looking at a good bike to get. I'm not sure what type of riding I will be doing so i'd like something that is an all rounder but can take a beating and be fun to ride down trails while also being comfortable enough on flat paths and capable enough up hills. My budget is in the range of £500, however the cheaper the better and ideally no higher. I have been looking at a few options:

Vitus Nucleus 29 VR
Marin Bobcat trail 3
Voodoo Aizan
Voodoo Bantu
Carrera Vulcan
Pinnacle Kapur 2
Saracen Mantra

I've also looked at used bikes, and found some ex fleet 2018 Saracen Mantras going for £295. Is there much difference between the 2020 Mantra and the 2018 Mantra pro? as a 2020 model would cost me £500. I also found a 2013 Dartmoor Hornet with a number of upgrades on here and wondered how it compares to the newer bikes, link to it is as follows: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2437976/ Open to any other suggestions too.

Any help is much appreciated cheers! Beer

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 12:08 Quote
elliot0098 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to mountain biking and am looking at a good bike to get. I'm not sure what type of riding I will be doing so i'd like something that is an all rounder but can take a beating and be fun to ride down trails while also being comfortable enough on flat paths and capable enough up hills. My budget is in the range of £500, however the cheaper the better and ideally no higher. I have been looking at a few options:

Vitus Nucleus 29 VR
Marin Bobcat trail 3
Voodoo Aizan
Voodoo Bantu
Carrera Vulcan
Pinnacle Kapur 2
Saracen Mantra

I've also looked at used bikes, and found some ex fleet 2018 Saracen Mantras going for £295. Is there much difference between the 2020 Mantra and the 2018 Mantra pro? as a 2020 model would cost me £500. I also found a 2013 Dartmoor Hornet with a number of upgrades on here and wondered how it compares to the newer bikes, link to it is as follows: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2437976/ Open to any other suggestions too.

Any help is much appreciated cheers! Beer

I would opt for the Marin, I don't have much experience with the other brands, but Definitly would start on a hardtail, they teach you so much in terms of technique and riding finesse.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:
For me, I would go with the Marin because of the geo. Components can be upgraded but you can’t change the geometry
I second this, Components can be upgraded, vs having great components and cruddy geometry. Always opt for the frame with better geo numbers,

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 16:25 Quote
elliot0098 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to mountain biking and am looking at a good bike to get. I'm not sure what type of riding I will be doing so i'd like something that is an all rounder but can take a beating and be fun to ride down trails while also being comfortable enough on flat paths and capable enough up hills. My budget is in the range of £500...
Moonlight for another 150 quid to get the Calibre Line 29, the sick spec will leave you not wanting Any upgrades for the near future and beyond!
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910272/calibre-line-29-mountain-bike-15910272

Drat, just noticed the limited sizes..

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006244
Mobile Version of Website