Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: May 19, 2020 at 9:17 Quote
Hey all,

Just moved to SoCal, and I'm looking to get my first trail bike to ride the hills around LA. There seems to be slim pickings of stock at all shops around the city, but the Giant dealer near my neighborhood has a 2019 Trance 2 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-2-2019) on sale for $2400. Would this be worth that price, and is that a bike that will last me a long time with proper care? I was hoping to keep my budget around $2000, but seems like I'm not going to be able to hit that given the current circumstances.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 9:38 Quote
meanpete wrote:
Hey all,

Just moved to SoCal, and I'm looking to get my first trail bike to ride the hills around LA. There seems to be slim pickings of stock at all shops around the city, but the Giant dealer near my neighborhood has a 2019 Trance 2 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-2-2019) on sale for $2400. Would this be worth that price, and is that a bike that will last me a long time with proper care? I was hoping to keep my budget around $2000, but seems like I'm not going to be able to hit that given the current circumstances.

That is the same price as online. What trails will you be riding, as you may only need a hardtail?

As for "budget" full-sus:
https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-bikes/release1
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-hawk-hill-2
https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr-29-origin-grey-2020-c2x29872035

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
Hey all,
Experienced road rider but new to mountain biking. I've tried to pull the trigger on a mountain bike but due to stock issues, I haven't made a successful purchase yet.

Nearby (or online) I have discovered a few bikes in stock and would love your advice. Some are out of stock but may be coming in soon.

I live in Washington and am hoping to find a bike that's good for going up and down on long rides and that will last a long time (with proper maintenance). 

Budget is about $2500. I would love to go lower but want a quality bike that I can grow on.

Here are the possibilities:

Kona Process 134 29 ($2400)...at this point I think this is my first choice
Specialized Stumpjumper ST 29 ($2010)...seems like folks don't love this bike?
Rocky Mountain Instinct Alloy 30 ($2600)
Salsa Horsethief  ($2650)
Salsa Spearfish ($2650)-maybe to XC-oriented
Marin Alpine Trail 7 ($2400)
Commencal Meta TR Origin ($2000)
Vitus Mythique ($2000) but have heard horror stories about bike damaged in transit
Fezzari Abajo Peak ($2200 with dropper)

I apologize for all the choices, I have a hard time making decisions. Thanks!

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
brlangwa wrote:
Hey all,
Experienced road rider but new to mountain biking. I've tried to pull the trigger on a mountain bike but due to stock issues, I haven't made a successful purchase yet.

Nearby (or online) I have discovered a few bikes in stock and would love your advice. Some are out of stock but may be coming in soon.

I live in Washington and am hoping to find a bike that's good for going up and down on long rides and that will last a long time (with proper maintenance). 

Budget is about $2500. I would love to go lower but want a quality bike that I can grow on.

Vitus Mythique ($2000) but have heard horror stories about bike damaged in transit

I would go for the marin. way better componets than the kona

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
brlangwa wrote:
Hey all,

I started road biking when I was about 8 and I made the switch to mtb when I was 15. As a road cyclist, there is a ton of technical skills to develop, balance, track stands etc. I wold start in a hardtail, highly recommended. Would go for a meta hardtail or a Marin sanquinten, Nukeproof Scout is super good too.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 17:35 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
brlangwa wrote:
Hey all,

I started road biking when I was about 8 and I made the switch to mtb when I was 15. As a road cyclist, there is a ton of technical skills to develop, balance, track stands etc. I wold start in a hardtail, highly recommended. Would go for a meta hardtail or a Marin sanquinten, Nukeproof Scout is super good too.

Marin. Or the meta actually, given you ride in Washington.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 21:42 Quote
sangier wrote:
meanpete wrote:
Hey all,

That is the same price as online. What trails will you be riding, as you may only need a hardtail?

As for "budget" full-sus:
https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-bikes/release1
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-hawk-hill-2
https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr-29-origin-grey-2020-c2x29872035

I'm planning on doing a little bit of everything, fire roads, technical trails, maybe sprinkle in some light downhill up at Big Bear. As for full suspension, I've had some knee and tailbone injuries from hard city riding the past 10 years, so it's more for comfort than anything.

I will check out those other bikes you linked. Unfortunately the shop sold the Trance this afternoon before I could schedule a time to go test it out.

Posted: May 19, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
Make a trip down to The Bike Path in Orange County, those guys are MTB oriented..unlike 99.99% of the shops in L,A.

Posted: May 20, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Make a trip down to The Bike Path in Orange County, those guys are MTB oriented..unlike 99.99% of the shops in L,A.

The path is a great shop. The only thing is there demo fleet is probably about your budget. But you can ask for bike recommendations there. Ask for Alan.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
Sup guys,

I posted in this thread before and got amazing advice and I'm hoping not to be let down this time around. I'm looking for advice on what full suspension to buy in the future. I want one that is going to fit my style or is made pretty much for what I'm trying to ride. I know manufacturer's don't cater to specific people, that would be sweet however. I want a bike that is going to be good for pretty aggressive trail riding, but not totally downhill. But I also like to ride with my little brother and he is a bit of a psycho and likes to hit pretty decent sized jumps, and I've began to hit jumps as well and found that I like it quite a bit. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions for a full suspension that is good on the trails and just as good in the air. My budget would be somewhere between 1500 - 2000. I'm not made of money, but I'll spend some to have a nice piece of equipment. Thanks in advance guys, and stay upright out there.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 18:30 Quote
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
Sup guys,

I posted in this thread before and got amazing advice and I'm hoping not to be let down this time around. I'm looking for advice on what full suspension to buy in the future. I want one that is going to fit my style or is made pretty much for what I'm trying to ride. I know manufacturer's don't cater to specific people, that would be sweet however. I want a bike that is going to be good for pretty aggressive trail riding, but not totally downhill. But I also like to ride with my little brother and he is a bit of a psycho and likes to hit pretty decent sized jumps, and I've began to hit jumps as well and found that I like it quite a bit. So I guess I'm looking for suggestions for a full suspension that is good on the trails and just as good in the air. My budget would be somewhere between 1500 - 2000. I'm not made of money, but I'll spend some to have a nice piece of equipment. Thanks in advance guys, and stay upright out there.

To add on,

I've looked into the Santa Cruz 5010 a lot, however it's a little out of my price range. But it seems to fit what I'm trying to do on the bike, "Turning trails into pumptracks and logs into launches this bike begs to spend as much time above the ground as on it".

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
Sup guys,

To add on,

I've looked into the Santa Cruz 5010 a lot, however it's a little out of my price range. But it seems to fit what I'm trying to do on the bike, "Turning trails into pumptracks and logs into launches this bike begs to spend as much time above the ground as on it".

If you want a really good specced bike, then I would look at the used ones, but aim for a bike that is 2019 or newer. This is a little more but the DiamondBack release 1 ($2100?) is a solid bike. The Giant trance, Commencal Clash are also good bikes. Would you want a more long travel trail bike or an enduro bike?

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 20:32 Quote
Hey all....Just another newb looking for advice on what bike to get. Any and all help is appreciated.
About me: Im 5'11, 220 pounds, in very good shape. I currently ride enduro/motorcross on a KTM 300XC dirt bike. Ive been riding (dirt) all my life, however I have not rode a bicycle in many many years. I live in southern Oklahoma so my riding terrain consist of mainly just basic off-road trails mostly. There are no real mountains here, so not really any true downhills type tracks. I want a bike that will handle small to moderate jumps, that I can ride pretty aggressively both up and downhill, will handle my weight, quality components that I will not be ready to upgrade in 1-2 months, full suspension, 29'r. I spend a fair amount of time in Colorado during the summer. I do not plan to do any hardcore down hill racing, but I need the bike to be at least capable in real mountain terrain. My budget is $4000 or less preferably. I am located between OKC and DFW so plenty of bike shops around. There is a Trek dealer in OKC and a Giant dealer in DFW, however I am not set on any brand. I don't know enough about them yet to be brand bias. I am open to used bikes, as long as its not more than 1-2 years old and is priced accordingly for being used.

Thanks for the help.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 20:51 Quote
Ktm300XC80 wrote:
Hey all....Just another newb looking for advice on what bike to get. Any and all help is appreciated.
About me: Im 5'11, 220 pounds, in very good shape. I currently ride enduro/motorcross on a KTM 300XC dirt bike. Ive been riding (dirt) all my life, however I have not rode a bicycle in many many years. I live in southern Oklahoma so my riding terrain consist of mainly just basic off-road trails mostly. There are no real mountains here, so not really any true downhills type tracks. I want a bike that will handle small to moderate jumps, that I can ride pretty aggressively both up and downhill, will handle my weight, quality components that I will not be ready to upgrade in 1-2 months, full suspension, 29'r. I spend a fair amount of time in Colorado during the summer. I do not plan to do any hardcore down hill racing, but I need the bike to be at least capable in real mountain terrain. My budget is $4000 or less preferably. I am located between OKC and DFW so plenty of bike shops around. There is a Trek dealer in OKC and a Giant dealer in DFW, however I am not set on any brand. I don't know enough about them yet to be brand bias. I am open to used bikes, as long as its not more than 1-2 years old and is priced accordingly for being used.

Thanks for the help.

Your budget is perfect. You can get any good bike. I would look at YT. They make great bikes

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 23:19 Quote
sangier wrote:
Sup guys,

To add on,

If you want a really good specced bike, then I would look at the used ones, but aim for a bike that is 2019 or newer. This is a little more but the DiamondBack release 1 ($2100?) is a solid bike. The Giant trance, Commencal Clash are also good bikes. Would you want a more long travel trail bike or an enduro bike?

I’m not sure of the difference between the two honestly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007490
Mobile Version of Website