Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: May 29, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
Hi all,

Not a beginner but I haven't ridden in years. I'm looking for a full suspension 27.5 bike and I think I've narrowed it down to 3 options.

Vitus Mythique VRX (If they ever come back in stock)

Fezzari Abajo Peak (8 to 10 week wait)

Nukeproof Reactor 275 Comp (currently available)

The pluses of each are the Mythique is what I was looking to spend, the Abajo has an NX component set, and the Nukeproof is available now. Price on the Fezzari and Nukeprrof are almost identical right now. What are all your thoughts?

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
Pontiac787 wrote:
Hi all,

Not a beginner but I haven't ridden in years. I'm looking for a full suspension 27.5 bike and I think I've narrowed it down to 3 options.

The pluses of each are the Mythique is what I was looking to spend, the Abajo has an NX component set, and the Nukeproof is available now. Price on the Fezzari and Nukeprrof are almost identical right now. What are all your thoughts?

I would get the nukeproof. That is a great bike and the company is awesome.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 18:30 Quote
Pontiac787 wrote:
Hi all,

I would either say the Vitus or Nukeproof. The Vitus I think has the better fork since fox backs Marzocchi. Nukeproof definitely has the edge on the shock with the super deluxe w/ a piggyback. Compared to the Rockshox Monarch. Brake wise, I would MAYBE say the Vitus, but I really don't know. Both got Nukeproof components. Whichever you pick will be very good.

Posted: May 29, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
Buy what's available. Most suppliers are sold out of everything with no word on when new inventory will come.

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 6:34 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Buy what's available. Most suppliers are sold out of everything with no word on when new inventory will come.

So true. I'm getting back into biking after 10 years and have been shopping non-stop for 2.5 weeks. I found a medium Giant Stance 1 29er, but after riding a few times, I feel cramped in the thing (I'm 5'10"). My LBS has a MD and a LG Stumpjumper 29 they will let me trade-up to, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which size to go. Given most of my riding won't be crazy downhill stuff, I'm thinking the MD is the route to go. It will also be able to handle most of what I do when I hit Colorado a few times a year.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
Hey all, you know the drill. Local shop has a Giant talon 2, the other local shop has a Trek Marlin 6 & 7, There both comparable parts wise. While digging here on PB i found the Vitus Nuclus 275 VRS, looks like a good ride plus its an air fork however it seem to always be out of stock from what i read. What is you thoughts on these three? Any others to add to my list?

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 6:21 Quote
vilasT wrote:
Hey all, you know the drill. Local shop has a Giant talon 2, the other local shop has a Trek Marlin 6 & 7, There both comparable parts wise. While digging here on PB i found the Vitus Nuclus 275 VRS, looks like a good ride plus its an air fork however it seem to always be out of stock from what i read. What is you thoughts on these three? Any others to add to my list?

I would honestly say the Vitus. By the way, I own this bike so this is an honest answer. The Vitus does have an air fork with the most travel, but it's not that great, so I'm going to upgrade mine to a Marzocchi Bomber soon. It also has the best brakes out of the bunch, but not by much. But a big factor in why the Vitus is better than the others is because the hub sizes are more universal with a 135x10 QR outback and 15x110 BOOST upfront. Also, the Deore is amazing for the price!

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 6:25 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
vilasT wrote:

I would honestly say the Vitus. By the way, I own this bike so this is an honest answer. The Vitus does have an air fork with the most travel, but it's not that great, so I'm going to upgrade mine to a Marzocchi Bomber soon. It also has the best brakes out of the bunch, but not by much. But a big factor in why the Vitus is better than the others is because the hub sizes are more universal with a 135x10 QR outback and 15x110 BOOST upfront. Also, the Deore is amazing for the price!

Honestly I am leaning towards the Vitus. Just cant find one in stock!

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
vilasT wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:
vilasT wrote:

Honestly I am leaning towards the Vitus. Just cant find one in stock!

Yeah, I had to wait for mine to be in stock for a long time.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
Hi,

Looking to get my first proper MTB decided to get a full sus trail bike and have around £2000 to spend but what would people advise to buy once bike become available again.

Been looking at Orbea occam H30
Commencal Meta Tr 29 Origin
Scott Spark 970
Marin hawk Hill 2 or the rift zone

What do people think?

Cheers

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 14:43 Quote
Bill888 wrote:
Hi,

Looking to get my first proper MTB decided to get a full sus trail bike and have around £2000 to spend but what would people advise to buy once bike become available again.

Scott Spark 970

What do people think?

Cheers

the commencal is good. Also look at nukeproof

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:33 Quote
Bill888 wrote:
Hi,

Scott Spark 970

What do people think?

Cheers

I would say the Orbea mainly because it has the Marzocchi Bomber fork and the slx drivetrain. The fork is backed by fox so you know it is quality, and the slx drivetrain is smoother and more reliable than Sram Sx eagle. If I were you, I would upgrade the brakes the to Mt-501 for an extra 75 bucks on Orbea's website.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
Bill888 wrote:
Hi,

Scott Spark 970

What do people think?

Cheers

The commencal is amazing. Look at PB's review of it.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 21:39 Quote
Big fan of the hawk hill myself. Marin has done an excellent job with specifications on those.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 16:35 Quote
I feel like a bit out of an outlier here - I'm looking almost exclusively at used bikes for my first mtb. Due to that - I've cast a very large net. My details:

* I live in the SF Bay Area - will likely be mountain biking near Santa Cruz mostly (demo forest, wilder ranch, etc.).
* I'm brand new to MTB and really don't plan to hit any big downhill parks with lifts, big jumps, and shit
* I've really only ridden road bikes in the last 10 years. I'm ~5'9" and ~150lbs.
* Budget is no more than $3,000 - preferably all in. (taxes included) Would prefer to be closer to $2000-$2500.

I'm kinda focused on uphill performance a bit just because I'm weak AF, hella out of shape, and realistically this is what I'll spend most of my time doing but it shouldn't be god awful downhill either. We won't be going anywhere near the speeds that some pro is doing. Mostly looking at full suspension bikes still.

I've had craigslist alerts setup for a bit and been watching various sources (FB marketplace, bicycle blue book, here...).

So far, I've kinda narrowed it down to likely being:

- Ibis Ripmo AF
- YT Jeffsy 27
- Canyon Neuron (this is what some of my coworkers have and they like it)
- Santa Cruz 5010

and some more... I can't recall... I tend to just look at bikes and their price then decide if it's worth it. Unfortunately, this market is wild and people are selling used bikes for almost new prices.

I've seen examples of all of those being near $2500 but they tend to either A) raise in price because the seller realizes the price was too low or B) vaporize within 30 minutes of listing. I'm willing to go back to a 2017 model but I'd prefer to not get anything older. What % depreciation by year would you expect? It seems like everyone thinks last years bike is practically worth $0 in depreciation. Considering that many bikes that were $4000 new are sold at $3200 on clearance - and then they're listed for basically clearance price even though they're used. Canyon is the worst with this - their outlet is actually higher prices for used bikes than their clearance prices! (yet the bikes sell within a day)

There's a ripmo AF near me for $2600 right now. I'm considering it but I've seen a YT Jeffsy CF Pro for $2900 (it was $2500...). There's another carbon Jeffsy for $3,000 that's a 2017.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/antioch-yt-jeffsy-carbon-pro-size-medium/7137661198.html - seems a little high for 3-4 years of use considering clearance prices.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/san-francisco-yt-jeffsy-mountain-bike/7134134686.html - the one that raised the price and stopped talking to me after doing it - annoying, it's listed here too.

I'm just not sure what a good price on a used bike is right now. I saw a full carbon 5010 for $2300 with some good parts and tried to get it but it sold before I could get any questions answered. Frown

I worry that I'll buy a used bike for near $3,000 then it'll be worth $2,000 or less next year because no corona and no crazy demand - meanwhile, maybe I'll want a different bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007630
Mobile Version of Website