Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 18:08 Quote
SQRS wrote:
spacekroft wrote:
Im looking into getting a new bike and have been looking at 160-180 travel bikes. Im on a 2013 Specialized stump jumper now and would like something with a little more travel but that I can still pedal up. I am 5'9" 210#, and primarily ride in Washington state for reference. Has anyone had any experience with the Intense Tracer 27.5 expert build? or have recommendations on bikes in that range to check out. Ideally I would like to find something that is also currently available and under $4500.00 (I know big ask).

Similar situation as you. Came from a 2015 stumpjumper.

I pulled the trigger on a 2020 Norco Sight A2 ... it was about $5000 CAD .. so around your budget USD I believe.

It's a 29er. It's an absolute machine. I've been very happy with my purchase thus far.

I ride in Squamish

Thanks! that looks like a solid ride.

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
spacekroft wrote:
Im looking into getting a new bike and have been looking at 160-180 travel bikes. Im on a 2013 Specialized stump jumper now and would like something with a little more travel but that I can still pedal up. I am 5'9" 210#, and primarily ride in Washington state for reference. Has anyone had any experience with the Intense Tracer 27.5 expert build? or have recommendations on bikes in that range to check out. Ideally I would like to find something that is also currently available and under $4500.00 (I know big ask).
The Scott Ransom starts at $3k and won a lot of Enduro bike of the year awards.

If you don't really need the support a shop provides then the direct brands like YT and Commencal offer pretty great value.

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 at 7:19 Quote
A few years back I bought a Trek Marlin and basically had to go through the whole bike and replace parts. I don't know if this was due to not using the bike for it's intended use or what the reason was but I was not happy with the end result; THE BIKE DIDN'T SHOW UP WHEN PUT TO WORK. With that being said, where do I go from here? I can see myself feeling like I am losing too much energy transfer with a full suspension during climbs but if I'm wrong please let me know. Ideally, I'm looking for a bike to handle trail riding. Hardtail, full suspension, build list, doesnt matter. PLEASE HELP!! $$$ up into 2k range is fine.

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 3:15 Quote
Best mate bought a Specialized Enduro and has been having a blast on it, urging me to get into it with him as we used to ride a decade or so ago.

I am 5'11" and weigh in around 16.5 stone (230 lbs, 104kg) and i have a budget of up to £3500. Living in London but i do have a van so will be going on a few road trips once we learn where the awesome trails and even a few bike parks are located in the UK.

As i am on the heavier side i am slightly worried that i'll be pushing the bike and/or its components to its limits. Due to this im not sure if i should be going for alloy or carbon frame. Also a rear air shock or coil.

A hell of a lot of bikes my attention at the moment such as Propain Hugene/Tyee, YT Jeffsy/Capra, Canyon Spectral/Strive/Torque, Commencal Meta AM 29... the list can go on and on, its overwhelming trying to narrow it all down!

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
powah wrote:
Best mate bought a Specialized Enduro and has been having a blast on it, urging me to get into it with him as we used to ride a decade or so ago.

I am 5'11" and weigh in around 16.5 stone (230 lbs, 104kg) and i have a budget of up to £3500. Living in London but i do have a van so will be going on a few road trips once we learn where the awesome trails and even a few bike parks are located in the UK.

As i am on the heavier side i am slightly worried that i'll be pushing the bike and/or its components to its limits. Due to this im not sure if i should be going for alloy or carbon frame. Also a rear air shock or coil.

A hell of a lot of bikes my attention at the moment such as Propain Hugene/Tyee, YT Jeffsy/Capra, Canyon Spectral/Strive/Torque, Commencal Meta AM 29... the list can go on and on, its overwhelming trying to narrow it all down!
As you've probably heard me say before, I cannot Praise the Meta AM 29 enough. I dont think I have ever heard a bad review on it. That being said, I was once interested in the Tyee, but if i'm not mistaken, its a little pricier?

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
powah wrote:

As you've probably heard me say before, I cannot Praise the Meta AM 29 enough. I dont think I have ever heard a bad review on it. That being said, I was once interested in the Tyee, but if i'm not mistaken, its a little pricier?

2020 Meta AM 29 Team comes in at £3557 while the Tyee specced as closely to the Meta as possible comes in at £3545 so not much between the two at all.

What are your thoughts, if any, regarding my weight concerns for these bikes as well air vs coil? Cheers!

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 13:08 Quote
powah wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:
powah wrote:

2020 Meta AM 29 Team comes in at £3557 while the Tyee specced as closely to the Meta as possible comes in at £3545 so not much between the two at all.

What are your thoughts, if any, regarding my weight concerns for these bikes as well air vs coil? Cheers!

I would go meta. Just from all the people who praise its geometry and linkage. Also, a Coil goes really well on a meta. I had one on mine for a while.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
Currently, I am looking at the Commencal clash 2021.

And my height is 5'11 or 180 cm, which gives me two options on sizes, medium and large.

I don't really have a preference for going oversize or undersize.

I am so confused. I need some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 13:00 Quote
GCRDONO wrote:

And my height is 5'11 or 180 cm, which gives me two options on sizes, medium and large.

Thanks in advance!

do you like a longer reach & wheelbase or not? That is the main difference. I have a commencal meta ht, and im 5'10. I have the medium and it can feel a little small at some times. A large may suit you best.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
sangier wrote:
GCRDONO wrote:

Thanks in advance!

do you like a longer reach & wheelbase or not? That is the main difference. I have a commencal meta ht, and im 5'10. I have the medium and it can feel a little small at some times. A large may suit you best.

The smaller one will feel more nimble jumping, turning etc.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 21:21 Quote
man oh man its decision time! picked out a couple of all mountain options and I just want to hear if anyone has had good or bad experiences with either.

1. 2020 NS snabb 130 large

2. 2020 Norco optic C3 large

Reviews from both seem to be nearly interchangeable. Both in the same price range. Optic is carbon but the snabb is hailed as being bulletproof. Comparable hardware and travel.

It's almost coming down to a coin toss so I want to hear some opinions.

I have a norco threshold as my cyclocross but the mountains are calling!!

5'10". 190lb.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
sangier wrote:

nice, post a pic of the bike once its built

as requested
photo

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
naaackk wrote:
sangier wrote:

nice, post a pic of the bike once its built

as requested
photo

sick bike

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
benbenbeast wrote:
sangier wrote:
GCRDONO wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Appreciate all of your responses. Recently,I compared the reach and stacks between YT Capra and Commencal Clash 2021,and found out a medium clash has longer reach and higher stack than a size Large Capra. Which lead to my decision of getting a medium Clash. Thank you all once again.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
GCRDONO wrote:
benbenbeast wrote:
sangier wrote:

enjoy the bike once it comes

Appreciate all of your responses. Recently,I compared the reach and stacks between YT Capra and Commencal Clash 2021,and found out a medium clash has longer reach and higher stack than a size Large Capra. Which lead to my decision of getting a medium Clash. Thank you all once again.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013458
Mobile Version of Website