Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 9:10 Quote
Budget 4-800CDN [IK not much but have no problems if it's used and in good working order]
Figured guys on here might have an idea of bikes that go in this ranged used street value ish.
I'm 6 foot 225 so probably need a large frame and likely some suspension at least some travel.
Honestly don't really care about brand so long as it's reliable, looks good and doesn't break the bank.
Would be nice to have something that is decent on both road and gravel/offroad but it will be primarily used on roads to and from the house to the beach and occasional longer rides for exercise at least to start. I've been hearing good things about cyclocross bikes for this but most I see are out of budget. This is legit the first bike i've owned since a kid and i'm 37 now so until I know if i'm gonna get back into it more why bother wasting a bunch of money right?

Any suggestions?

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
Hey PB. I recently moved to PNW and looking to get into mountain biking only challenge being the bike availability because of the current situation.

I'm a novice when it comes to mtn bike knowledge, I've been researching online on what to get and have made up my mind to get a hardtail.

Most of the stores do not have a hard tail in stock and even backordered for a few months.

Only Trek happened to have few Roscoe 8's in stock for my size. Online reviews are mixed about that bike, so wanted to understand if Roscoe 8 can be a good bike to get or shall I wait for few months and get some other bike.

I'm 5'8" 170lbs.

TIA

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 23:36 Quote
pedalonpnw wrote:
Hey PB. I recently moved to PNW and looking to get into mountain biking only challenge being the bike availability because of the current situation.

I'm a novice when it comes to mtn bike knowledge, I've been researching online on what to get and have made up my mind to get a hardtail.

Most of the stores do not have a hard tail in stock and even backordered for a few months.

Only Trek happened to have few Roscoe 8's in stock for my size. Online reviews are mixed about that bike, so wanted to understand if Roscoe 8 can be a good bike to get or shall I wait for few months and get some other bike.

I'm 5'8" 170lbs.

TIA

one of my school mates rode a roscoe 7 for a long time. he loved it, definitly a good bike to start with. I would bite on it bike stocks are dwindling and everything that isnt sold out, will be soon.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
pedalonpnw wrote:

I'm 5'8" 170lbs.

TIA

Hey, before you jump towards the roscoe, what type of riding will you be doing and what is the budget? A hardtail are solid bikes. I ride a commencal meta ht ride. In the PNW, I know there can be some gnarlier trails so I would recommend an "agressive ht"

RSD middlechild alloy($1500+) , COMMENCAL Meta HT models($1200-2100), MARIN San Quentin 3, DIAMONDBACK Sync'r, NUKEPROOF Scout.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 11:21 Quote
To add onto that list, Ragley MMMbop, Ragley Moxie, and pretty much any ragley hardtail, Vitus Sentier, Rocky Mountain Growler

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 11:34 Quote
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:
To add onto that list, Ragley MMMbop, Ragley Moxie, and pretty much any ragley hardtail, Vitus Sentier, Rocky Mountain Growler

I second these. The ragley MMMbop is a great bike

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 22:30 Quote
sangier wrote:
pedalonpnw wrote:

I'm 5'8" 170lbs.

TIA

Hey, before you jump towards the roscoe, what type of riding will you be doing and what is the budget? A hardtail are solid bikes. I ride a commencal meta ht ride. In the PNW, I know there can be some gnarlier trails so I would recommend an "agressive ht"

RSD middlechild alloy($1500+) , COMMENCAL Meta HT models($1200-2100), MARIN San Quentin 3, DIAMONDBACK Sync'r, NUKEPROOF Scout.

Thank you everyone.

Honestly don't know - how I to define that in technical terms, but I would be going to some near by mountains and bike parks -- may not be doing too much jumps etc. Flowy fast trails with good enough technical difficulty, would expect bike to be fast for uphill climb.

I'll check these but as of now didn't find many online dealers for them. Any ideas where I can look for them?

TIA

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 at 7:19 Quote
sangier wrote:

ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:

pedalonpnw wrote:

Thank you everyone.

Honestly don't know - how I to define that in technical terms, but I would be going to some near by mountains and bike parks -- may not be doing too much jumps etc. Flowy fast trails with good enough technical difficulty, would expect bike to be fast for uphill climb.

I'll check these but as of now didn't find many online dealers for them. Any ideas where I can look for them?

TIA

Basically all listed above was what i was looking and considering. Middlechild ,Meta HT & Scout being the top. RSD happen to have their pre-order out first so i hopped on it. Then weeks later Commencal released their preorder. All great recommendations!

Dealer wise, RSD Bikes & Commencal would be their direct site and Nukeproof & Ragley could be found on ChainReactionCycle. I know i received an e-mail just a couple days ago on Nukeproof Scout 275 and the MmmmBop came in-stock. But normally get out-of-stock fairly quick.

Posted: Aug 10, 2020 at 21:28 Quote
pedalonpnw wrote:
sangier wrote:
pedalonpnw wrote:

I'm 5'8" 170lbs.

TIA

Thank you everyone.

TIA

I would also not recommend Trek bikes. You can get better value for the money elsewhere. TL;DR, Trek bikes are overpriced.

Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 21:07 Quote
Does anyone know if a Hope Pro 4 Boost 148mm rear hub would work on a Marin San Quentin 1? The rear hub on it now is 141mm QR but the Pro 4 can be bought with a conversion kit to make it 141. I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing so. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 12:37 Quote
I am looking at a rocky mountain growler 40 in a medium and I am about 5'4. Would it fit me? The bike is a little bit lower sitting and aggresive. The websites sizing chart is for a different bike so I was wondering if someone could look at the geometry and tell me? Thanks!

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
I am looking at a rocky mountain growler 40 in a medium and I am about 5'4. Would it fit me? The bike is more agressive and I believe lower standing, I currently ride a 2020 specialized pitch comp 1x .The websites sizing chart is for a different bike so I was wondering if someone could look at the geometry and tell me? Thanks!

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
ZenBikers wrote:
I am looking at a rocky mountain growler 40 in a medium and I am about 5'4. Would it fit me? The bike is more agressive and I believe lower standing, I currently ride a 2020 specialized pitch comp 1x .The websites sizing chart is for a different bike so I was wondering if someone could look at the geometry and tell me? Thanks!

What size is your pitch? Compare the geo between that bike and the growler. I looked on the rocky mountain website and saw the chart for sizing. Based on this, I would get a small as it will suit you the best.

https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/resources/Slayer%20%26%20Growler%20sizing%20chart.pdf

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2021?tid=72

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 12:52 Quote
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
Does anyone know if a Hope Pro 4 Boost 148mm rear hub would work on a Marin San Quentin 1? The rear hub on it now is 141mm QR but the Pro 4 can be bought with a conversion kit to make it 141. I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing so. Thanks.

look this up on youtube. I remember seeing a video about this.

Posted: Aug 20, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
thecarpy wrote:
Alright so I've noticed that lately there's been a ton of "I am new what bike should I get threads". Now, there is nothing wrong with asking these questions, but we don't need a ton of seperate threads for it. So, for you beginners, post here if you need some help on why "This bike is better than that bike". Or "Do I want a trail bike or an all mountain bike". This isn't to replace the Mountain Bike Quick Question Thread 3.0, its for a different type of question.

Just basic rules guys, behave yourself.

No trolling
No flaming/making fun of "dumb" questions.
No stupid shit

Just common sense.

Hopefully this takes off! tup

Hi! Is this forum still active? As this was postes in 2011? I have lots of mtb questions as a begginer

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006538
Mobile Version of Website