Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Author Message
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 7:06 Quote
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:
brentwhipple wrote:
Hey was looking for some advice if I should keep / upgrade or sell my first bike. 2020 Alpine trail 7, I like the geometry but would have to upgrade the tektro brakes, rear rotor, veesnap tires, and possibly the xfusion shock to higher end to really love the bike. Looking for an alloy enduro bike, 150-180mm travel, solid brakes (200/200mm), maxxis tires, preferably around $3000 USD. New capra shred looks awesome but a bit pricey for me at 3500. Thanks!

Check out commencal

Yes yes yes a million times yes.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 7:43 Quote
brentwhipple wrote:
Hey was looking for some advice if I should keep / upgrade or sell my first bike. 2020 Alpine trail 7, I like the geometry but would have to upgrade the tektro brakes, rear rotor, veesnap tires, and possibly the xfusion shock to higher end to really love the bike. Looking for an alloy enduro bike, 150-180mm travel, solid brakes (200/200mm), maxxis tires, preferably around $3000 USD. New capra shred looks awesome but a bit pricey for me at 3500. Thanks!

The 2021 Apline Trail 7 is quite nice. It fixes all you issues.
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2021-alpine-trail-7

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to mountain biking. I've always thought about it but never took the opportunity. Yesterday saw some Trek bikes and here I am. I'm looking for an E-bike tho. Also would it be bad to use it in the City SF? Up hill/down hill etc. I know mountain bikes aren't efficient machines for hard roads like road bikes etc. But I don't want really like road bikes and only want 1 really good bike. This bike will be 99% mountain trails and maybe once in awhile city. I'd say my budget is 7k. The trek bike I saw was 6.4K. I'm looking for a full suspension bike that'll last me awhile!

-- Edit it.

Also my GF wants to mountain bike too but not heavily as me or get an e-bike any preferences for a $1500 non electric bike?

Thank you in advance.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
highzenburger wrote:
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to mountain biking. I've always thought about it but never took the opportunity. Yesterday saw some Trek bikes and here I am. I'm looking for an E-bike tho. Also would it be bad to use it in the City SF? Up hill/down hill etc. I know mountain bikes aren't efficient machines for hard roads like road bikes etc. But I don't want really like road bikes and only want 1 really good bike. This bike will be 99% mountain trails and maybe once in awhile city. I'd say my budget is 7k. The trek bike I saw was 6.4K. I'm looking for a full suspension bike that'll last me awhile!

-- Edit it.

Also my GF wants to mountain bike too but not heavily as me or get an e-bike any preferences for a $1500 non electric bike?

Thank you in advance.


thats a pretty good budget you've got for an e bike. I would look at the Commencal e bikes, and the s works ones are also a big fav of mine. For your gf, i think a specialized pitch or fuse would be pretty sick

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:
brentwhipple wrote:
Hey was looking for some advice if I should keep / upgrade or sell my first bike. 2020 Alpine trail 7, I like the geometry but would have to upgrade the tektro brakes, rear rotor, veesnap tires, and possibly the xfusion shock to higher end to really love the bike. Looking for an alloy enduro bike, 150-180mm travel, solid brakes (200/200mm), maxxis tires, preferably around $3000 USD. New capra shred looks awesome but a bit pricey for me at 3500. Thanks!

Check out commencal

Meta am ride looks nice at $2700, but unsure about the 2 piston deore brakes.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
highzenburger wrote:
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to mountain biking. I've always thought about it but never took the opportunity. Yesterday saw some Trek bikes and here I am. I'm looking for an E-bike tho. Also would it be bad to use it in the City SF? Up hill/down hill etc. I know mountain bikes aren't efficient machines for hard roads like road bikes etc. But I don't want really like road bikes and only want 1 really good bike. This bike will be 99% mountain trails and maybe once in awhile city. I'd say my budget is 7k. The trek bike I saw was 6.4K. I'm looking for a full suspension bike that'll last me awhile!

-- Edit it.

Also my GF wants to mountain bike too but not heavily as me or get an e-bike any preferences for a $1500 non electric bike?

Thank you in advance.


thats a pretty good budget you've got for an e bike. I would look at the Commencal e bikes, and the s works ones are also a big fav of mine. For your gf, i think a specialized pitch or fuse would be pretty sick


What should I be looking out for when buying a MTB in general + e-bike? What's good motor power or battery power? Suspension travel? Wheel sizes?

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 14:23 Quote
highzenburger wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
highzenburger wrote:
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to mountain biking. I've always thought about it but never took the opportunity. Yesterday saw some Trek bikes and here I am. I'm looking for an E-bike tho. Also would it be bad to use it in the City SF? Up hill/down hill etc. I know mountain bikes aren't efficient machines for hard roads like road bikes etc. But I don't want really like road bikes and only want 1 really good bike. This bike will be 99% mountain trails and maybe once in awhile city. I'd say my budget is 7k. The trek bike I saw was 6.4K. I'm looking for a full suspension bike that'll last me awhile!

-- Edit it.

Also my GF wants to mountain bike too but not heavily as me or get an e-bike any preferences for a $1500 non electric bike?

Thank you in advance.




thats a pretty good budget you've got for an e bike. I would look at the Commencal e bikes, and the s works ones are also a big fav of mine. For your gf, i think a specialized pitch or fuse would be pretty sick


What should I be looking out for when buying a MTB in general + e-bike? What's good motor power or battery power? Suspension travel? Wheel sizes?

never ridden an ebike but I would demo a couple before you buy one

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
highzenburger wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:
highzenburger wrote:
Hello All,

I'm new here and new to mountain biking. I've always thought about it but never took the opportunity. Yesterday saw some Trek bikes and here I am. I'm looking for an E-bike tho. Also would it be bad to use it in the City SF? Up hill/down hill etc. I know mountain bikes aren't efficient machines for hard roads like road bikes etc. But I don't want really like road bikes and only want 1 really good bike. This bike will be 99% mountain trails and maybe once in awhile city. I'd say my budget is 7k. The trek bike I saw was 6.4K. I'm looking for a full suspension bike that'll last me awhile!

-- Edit it.

Also my GF wants to mountain bike too but not heavily as me or get an e-bike any preferences for a $1500 non electric bike?

Thank you in advance.



thats a pretty good budget you've got for an e bike. I would look at the Commencal e bikes, and the s works ones are also a big fav of mine. For your gf, i think a specialized pitch or fuse would be pretty sick


What should I be looking out for when buying a MTB in general + e-bike? What's good motor power or battery power? Suspension travel? Wheel sizes?

Anything with a shimano motor is fairly good. I really like the Shimano e-steps 8000(or however they write it) other good contenders would be the specialized motors they have in their e bikes(super quiet) The Sworks turbo levo is a killller. and the commencal meta E is really good too. I would definitly pick the bike up (really try to demo them) as they can be a bit hefty. I think the S works ones are the lightest so far, it does sacrifice a bit of battery and max power though. See if the motor is too loud, depending on what brand of motor it is. See what you like!

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 19:12 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
highzenburger wrote:
MTBrandonLee wrote:



thats a pretty good budget you've got for an e bike. I would look at the Commencal e bikes, and the s works ones are also a big fav of mine. For your gf, i think a specialized pitch or fuse would be pretty sick


What should I be looking out for when buying a MTB in general + e-bike? What's good motor power or battery power? Suspension travel? Wheel sizes?

Anything with a shimano motor is fairly good. I really like the Shimano e-steps 8000(or however they write it) other good contenders would be the specialized motors they have in their e bikes(super quiet) The Sworks turbo levo is a killller. and the commencal meta E is really good too. I would definitly pick the bike up (really try to demo them) as they can be a bit hefty. I think the S works ones are the lightest so far, it does sacrifice a bit of battery and max power though. See if the motor is too loud, depending on what brand of motor it is. See what you like!


Yeah I think I will try to demo some. Right now the 2 I've researched for are Trek 9.7 Rail and Commercial Meta Power. I would be able to find Trek to test around but not Commercial. I'll try to look around maybe go to the city and see. But on paper the Meta SX for $7k which is equivalent to 9.7 Rail in price looks somewhat better? I can't tell to be honest.

Here are the links let me know what you guys think at least on paper.

Trek 9.7 Rail Medium Size -> https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/rail/rail-9-7/p/32813/

Commercial Meta Power SX -> https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-power-sx-signature-2020-c2x29872027

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
brentwhipple wrote:
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:
brentwhipple wrote:
Hey was looking for some advice if I should keep / upgrade or sell my first bike. 2020 Alpine trail 7, I like the geometry but would have to upgrade the tektro brakes, rear rotor, veesnap tires, and possibly the xfusion shock to higher end to really love the bike. Looking for an alloy enduro bike, 150-180mm travel, solid brakes (200/200mm), maxxis tires, preferably around $3000 USD. New capra shred looks awesome but a bit pricey for me at 3500. Thanks!

Check out commencal

Meta am ride looks nice at $2700, but unsure about the 2 piston deore brakes.

I still have 2-pot shimanos on my Meta. Its not a problem.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:43 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
brentwhipple wrote:
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:


Check out commencal

Meta am ride looks nice at $2700, but unsure about the 2 piston deore brakes.

I still have 2-pot shimanos on my Meta. Its not a problem.

Those might be fine. I have 2 pot sram brakes and the are weak, im looking to upgrade. Wouldnt hurt to get 4 pot later on

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
I'm wanting to get into mountain biking and looking for my first bike, I found a 2013 chromag stylus hardtail in my price range but my brother says it is too aggresive for my first bike. Thoughts?

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Crispyslinger wrote:
I'm wanting to get into mountain biking and looking for my first bike, I found a 2013 chromag stylus hardtail in my price range but my brother says it is too aggresive for my first bike. Thoughts?
it certainly is aggressive. But it's a hardtail, so it won't be nearly as bad as people starting on full-sus enduro sleds, which is done all the time. You'll totally be able to dial in your skills, and as a bonus it will be able to handle absolutely everything a beginner, intermediate, or advanced rider could throw at it.
If you've found one in your budget, I say go for it! People love those chromags

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Crispyslinger wrote:
I'm wanting to get into mountain biking and looking for my first bike, I found a 2013 chromag stylus hardtail in my price range but my brother says it is too aggresive for my first bike. Thoughts?

It isnt too aggresive for a first bike. The geo is quite good, if it is in your price id get it. It helps to have a more "aggresive" ht as it will be easier to descent with.

Chromag makes some proper ht.

Could you drop the link below of the listing (if it has one)? Just want to see the spec

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
sangier wrote:
Crispyslinger wrote:
I'm wanting to get into mountain biking and looking for my first bike, I found a 2013 chromag stylus hardtail in my price range but my brother says it is too aggresive for my first bike. Thoughts?

It isnt too aggresive for a first bike. The geo is quite good, if it is in your price id get it. It helps to have a more "aggresive" ht as it will be easier to descent with.

Chromag makes some proper ht.

Could you drop the link below of the listing (if it has one)? Just want to see the spec

Here's the link
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2881038/


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007004
Mobile Version of Website