Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 16:46 Quote
brentwhipple wrote:
Best alloy enduros in the 150-170mm travel range? Budget is $2500-3000 USD, currently checking into the capra base, vitus sommet vr, and the new specialized status.
do you care about warranty/dealer support?

I'm pretty happy with my Capra.

Other non-direct bikes include the Norco Range, and Scott Ransom. The transition Patrol is also close to your price point.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 17:07 Quote
sangier wrote:
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:

For what you want, I wouldn't recommend a StumpJumper. Also, usually brands like Specialized and trek are overpriced for what you get. I can recommend Commencal very highly. The 2021 Clash Ride is just above your price range. I would keep an eye out for a Commencal Chash/meta, or a YT Capra, on the PB Buy/Sell.

Funny I was actually seriously considering the Clash for a long time. Why wouldn't you recommend the StumpJumper? Everything I've read and heard from people conclude it's a pretty capable machine.

The stumpjumper is nice, my uncle has a $10k stumpjumper s-works build, but the cheaper ones are quite capable. It is personal preference.

A 150-160mm enduro bike should suite you best. The diamondback release is also nice

I've gotten a lot of recommendations to the release. Thanks man.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 18:46 Quote
sangier wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:

For what you want, I wouldn't recommend a StumpJumper. Also, usually brands like Specialized and trek are overpriced for what you get. I can recommend Commencal very highly. The 2021 Clash Ride is just above your price range. I would keep an eye out for a Commencal Chash/meta, or a YT Capra, on the PB Buy/Sell.

Funny I was actually seriously considering the Clash for a long time. Why wouldn't you recommend the StumpJumper? Everything I've read and heard from people conclude it's a pretty capable machine.

The stumpjumper is nice, my uncle has a $10k stumpjumper s-works build, but the cheaper ones are quite capable. It is personal preference.

A 150-160mm enduro bike should suite you best. The diamondback release is also nice

What do you think of the Whyte 170's?

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 20:10 Quote
sangier wrote:

What do you think of the Whyte 170's?

The whyte 170 is good. the only issue that it will come by England so warranty stuff will be an issue due to the distance.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 20:49 Quote
Whyte has US location in northern California. Fairfax I believe.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 20:56 Quote
kwapik wrote:

Thanks man! I am strongly considering the170.

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 21:13 Quote
kwapik wrote:

he is correct, so more pros to go for the whyte

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
sangier wrote:
kwapik wrote:

I really like the style and how slack the bike is. Plus it is what I am looking for as far as the head angle, it's pretty low at 64.5. I was considering the Commencal Clash for a while too.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 19:08 Quote
Looking at a 2016 Scott Gambler 720 needs a new fork. 1. Can I switch to a single crown fork?? not looking for pros/cons, just is it doable? 2. What would be a good low to mid price range fork to look for either single or dual crown? I mostly ride greens and blues, and the bike is a bit more than I really need, but the price is right.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
You can change it to a single crown if you want. Something like a 180mm 36 would work.

What's wrong with the fork on it?

A Boxxer RC would be a cheap replacement option.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 22:24 Quote
Nobble wrote:
You can change it to a single crown if you want. Something like a 180mm 36 would work.

What's wrong with the fork on it?

A Boxxer RC would be a cheap replacement option.

Sounds like a blown out damper on an out of production fork. I haven't put an offer on it yet, deciding on if I try to buy this rig or pay a bit more for one that is ride ready.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
sangier wrote:

I really like the style and how slack the bike is. Plus it is what I am looking for as far as the head angle, it's pretty low at 64.5. I was considering the Commencal Clash for a while too.

The issue is that it is an overseas brand so stores based in the U.S are hard to come by, plus it is pretty much out of stock everywhere.

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 21:05 Quote
Unfortunately, just about everything is out of stock or months away.

Posted: Sep 25, 2020 at 8:47 Quote
Hi,

Im thinking of buying a Norco Optic 2021 C2 XT build.
I want to use it as all round bike with lots of climbing and descending.
Climb are mostly combined of fire roads and steep rooted paths.
Downhill i mostly ride natural steep trails no bike parks.
Would you consider any other bikes for this type of riding.

And another question, do you think that Fox Performance Elite FLOAT DPX2, 190x45mm comes with lockout system on that bike?

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/mountain/trail/optic/optic-c2-shimano/

Thanks for replys

Posted: Sep 30, 2020 at 19:24 Quote
Best enduro that is built towards hitting dirt jumps? I'll be doing more jumping than trail riding and want something that is built to be in the air.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006068
Mobile Version of Website