Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 4:54 Quote
Agreed, from what i've head tues is more of a race machine. maybe check out the propain spindrift? price would be at the max, but they also offer financing

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 19:52 Quote
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:
Agreed, from what i've head tues is more of a race machine. maybe check out the propain spindrift? price would be at the max, but they also offer financing

From the sounds of it I'm between the capra and the Clash.

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
ski-n-bike-da-east wrote:

From the sounds of it I'm between the capra and the Clash.

Correction, Clash, Torque, and Tues. With preference toward the Clash.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Hey there everyone,

I'm getting back into the mountain biking after about 15 years. Back then, I did mostly fire roads and cross country trails. Now, I want to work up to more all-mountain trail riding, maybe spend a little bit of time each year at a bike park (NorthStar is about 2 hours away).

As I ease back into the sport, is it better to go used and older (less expensive to start), used and newer (fairly more expensive), or brand new budget build?

I'm currently looking at 4 bikes: a 2008 Giant Reign X2 ($500), a 2010 Ibis Mojo ($750), a 2019 KHS SixFifty 5500 ($1500), and a new Bulls Wild Cup or Wild One ($2000-$2400). I've also considered a new Marin Rift Zone or Hawk Hill. All are pretty much stock.

My LBS actually recommended buying hardtail to get back in for local trails and renting while at the bike parks to thrash those bikes. I likes the idea, but I do want to get some trail experience and practice before going to a park and trying to hit a 6' jump on my first ride.

So I'm here looking for help, thanks for your feedback.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
If you are looking at price up to 2400 you may find a used ibis mojo hd3.
Great climber, great on the down. Very versatile bike and relatively modern geometry, without dumping 5-6 grand on the latest greatest.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
danheck7 wrote:
Great climber, great on the down. Very versatile bike and relatively modern geometry, without dumping 5-6 grand on the latest greatest.

$2,000 is my absolute budget, and that's me stretching some things out. That's about $1,500 more than I was considering 4 weeks ago.

I like the idea of starting old and cheap, but would hate to spend $500 on a bike that will need $500 more in repairs or replacement parts before I can hit the trails. Going Bulls allows me to spread the payment over time, too.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 16:22 Quote
wiggs6386 wrote:
danheck7 wrote:

$2,000 is my absolute budget, and that's me stretching some things out. That's about $1,500 more than I was considering 4 weeks ago.

I like the idea of starting old and cheap, but would hate to spend $500 on a bike that will need $500 more in repairs or replacement parts before I can hit the trails. Going Bulls allows me to spread the payment over time, too.
I'm with your shop on this. I would buy an aggressive 140/150 mm travel 29r...

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 20:48 Quote
Anyone have any thoughts about the Giant Reign? How would it do in a bike park? Jumps? Drops? Thanks.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 7:01 Quote
Anyone have any thoughts about the Giant Reign? How would it do in a bike park? Jumps? Drops? Thanks.

Does great in my beginner level experience. That's the bike that Angle Fire has as their basic rental for the bike park.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
Its a fantastic starter bike for gravity-oriented stuff. When you start doing bigger stuff and riding it harder, it's a little rough. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to progress a lot.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
Its a fantastic starter bike for gravity-oriented stuff. When you start doing bigger stuff and riding it harder, it's a little rough. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to progress a lot.

I’m pretty green at this point, just getting back into jumping after taking about 10 years off. I’ve been pushing myself further and further every time I go out. Just hit my first bike park this season and hit some decent jumps and drops on my hard tail.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
From my warranty experience, I wouldn't touch anything they make.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
Nobble wrote:

I had a 2018 Trance and was pretty disappointed with the geometry. My friend got a Reign and sold it a couple months later.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

I had a 2018 Trance and was pretty disappointed with the geometry. My friend got a Reign and sold it a couple months later.

Did he say what he didn't like about it?

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
[Quote="MacDuffaluffacus42"]
Shafferd912 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Did he say what he didn't like about it?[/Quote

The suspension deign is very dissapointing. Blows through its travel super easily. Which is not what you want for a big bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013015
Mobile Version of Website