Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Author Message
Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
sangier wrote:
Shafferd912 wrote:
thedad71 wrote:
Hello people.

I am not new but I need some help. I am looking to get an Enduro type bike for my yearly pilgrimage to Morzine and to use at places like BPW etc to compliment my 120mm trail bike and full on DH bike.

My budget is £3000 and needs to be 29er with good geometry (2019 onwards if used), a space for a water bottle, a good spec that wont need upgrading straight away. I am from the UK and used bikes are going for silly money due to Covid so looking at new.

I currently have these 2 on shortlist but they are not available until March and May next year.

https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-am-29-ride-white-2021-c2x31641743
https://www.privateerbikes.com/products/privateer-161-bike

Are there any others that spring to mind that I should consider?

You could look at the YT line. The capra would probably be in your scope. Try looking at Propain as well. The Tyee or spindrift.

The tyee is a cool bike.

I am liking the Tyee

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 16:51 Quote
I dont know if this is the correct sub but Im looking to get my first FS MTB and Im torn between two bikes, one of which I havent ridden.

The Forbidden Druid and the Evil Bike Co Wreckoning.

Ive ridden the Druid and I absolutely love it and I love that I have the option to easily make it a mullet if I ever wanted to. I have never even sat on a Wreckoning but my buddy whose Druid I ride, said that was probably his favorite bike. I know either would be amazing but if Im spending that much money I want to make sure I have no regrets. Ive called local shops looking to demo but no one carries them remotely close to me.

Im 6'1 225lbs I live in Tucson AZ and ride Mt Lemmon, and make trips up to Sedona and Moab occasionally. I have no desire to race I just like riding down gnarly mountains and hitting jumps and having fun.

Any input is appreciated.

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 19:03 Quote
Bodhi420 wrote:
I dont know if this is the correct sub but Im looking to get my first FS MTB and Im torn between two bikes, one of which I havent ridden.

The Forbidden Druid and the Evil Bike Co Wreckoning.

Ive ridden the Druid and I absolutely love it and I love that I have the option to easily make it a mullet if I ever wanted to. I have never even sat on a Wreckoning but my buddy whose Druid I ride, said that was probably his favorite bike. I know either would be amazing but if Im spending that much money I want to make sure I have no regrets. Ive called local shops looking to demo but no one carries them remotely close to me.

Im 6'1 225lbs I live in Tucson AZ and ride Mt Lemmon, and make trips up to Sedona and Moab occasionally. I have no desire to race I just like riding down gnarly mountains and hitting jumps and having fun.

Any input is appreciated.

I know that the druid has slightly lower travel numbers than the Evil, so if you're looking for a full-on enduro bike the evil is the way to go. I have a buddy with the Wreckoning and he loves it. I guess it just depends on what kind of bike you really want. The druid does have the enduro bike characteristics, but the rear only has 130mm, so it really does fall into the category between Trail and Enduro. Call it "downtrail" I guess.

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 at 21:53 Quote
Shafferd912 wrote:
Bodhi420 wrote:
I dont know if this is the correct sub but Im looking to get my first FS MTB and Im torn between two bikes, one of which I havent ridden.

The Forbidden Druid and the Evil Bike Co Wreckoning.

Ive ridden the Druid and I absolutely love it and I love that I have the option to easily make it a mullet if I ever wanted to. I have never even sat on a Wreckoning but my buddy whose Druid I ride, said that was probably his favorite bike. I know either would be amazing but if Im spending that much money I want to make sure I have no regrets. Ive called local shops looking to demo but no one carries them remotely close to me.

Im 6'1 225lbs I live in Tucson AZ and ride Mt Lemmon, and make trips up to Sedona and Moab occasionally. I have no desire to race I just like riding down gnarly mountains and hitting jumps and having fun.

Any input is appreciated.

I know that the druid has slightly lower travel numbers than the Evil, so if you're looking for a full-on enduro bike the evil is the way to go. I have a buddy with the Wreckoning and he loves it. I guess it just depends on what kind of bike you really want. The druid does have the enduro bike characteristics, but the rear only has 130mm, so it really does fall into the category between Trail and Enduro. Call it "downtrail" I guess.

Yea I looked at the numbers, a lot reviews say the suspension on the Druid feels a lot bigger than the numbers would suggest. I havent ridden enough different FS bikes to know personally. I really wish i could just ride a Wreckoning lol that would make this a lot easier.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 12:50 Quote
Girlfriend is somewhat new to MTB and has mostly only ridden on flatter trails, but she's looking to get into some intermediate trails with me. The fork on her current bike (GT Aggressor Pro from Dick’s) just broke, and the frame size is a little too big for her. I'm looking to get her the bike for Christmas, and I originally wanted to get her the 2021 Vitus Nucleus VRS but it's been out of stock forever.

I thought the Polygon Xtrada 7 would be good especially since it’s on sale (and I ride a Polygon T7 so brand loyalty lol?), and the geometry and components look good to me. I wanted to check with you guys on whether it’s a good deal for the price or if there are any better budget options available (looking to spend ~$1000). Also, what's up with the weird curved/thin seat stay on that Polygon?

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 13:12 Quote
Sup, I have narrowed down my bike search to 4. All 27.5. All rear travel from 130-160 I believe. My choices are Norco Sight, Kona Process 153, Transition Scout, and the Trek Remedy. Not in any particular order, however my top two are probably the Kona and the Trek. Any advice or personal experience is helpful in making this decision. I’ll be riding at a local bike park with flow trails, drops, and pretty wicked jumps. Thanks again.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 13:33 Quote
Sorry, I forgot to add that I’d like the bike on the playful, poppy side of the spectrum.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 19:14 Quote
the Process is definitely the 'fun' bike of the list. Much less designed for all out speed than the others, great for jumping,

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 23:00 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
the Process is definitely the 'fun' bike of the list. Much less designed for all out speed than the others, great for jumping,

You been on one?

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
So I got a 2 parter if you don't mind. First question is should I get a new bike? lol. I got a GT Verb sport for $100 and upgraded stuff for about a year. Only thing original is the frame and wheels. I did a judy silver tk fork, pnw dropper, stem/bar/headset, deore 1x10 drivetrain, cheap dnw rear shock, tires, pedals, etc. It was fun and budget was low, but the rims/wheels and their inability to handle nice tires (too narrow) or go tubeless, the quick release axles and the overall geometry and quality of the bike has me wondering if it's time to upgrade. I told myself I'd ride it for a while and prove that I would stick to the sport and then reward myself. So should I upgrade?

Part 2 - what to get? My budget is really $2k-$2,700ish. My list of bikes I'm looking at is quite long: yt jeffsey base, polygon siskiu t8, vitus mythique vrx, vitus escarpe cr, canyon neuron al 7.0, something from commencal, giant trance, marin rift zone, I know, it's annoying. I feel like I start leaning one way and talk myself out of it. Doesn't help that everything is out of stock, or maybe it does.

My name is Chris, and I have a problem...

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
Cadams7 wrote:
So I got a 2 parter if you don't mind. First question is should I get a new bike? lol. I got a GT Verb sport for $100 and upgraded stuff for about a year. Only thing original is the frame and wheels. I did a judy silver tk fork, pnw dropper, stem/bar/headset, deore 1x10 drivetrain, cheap dnw rear shock, tires, pedals, etc. It was fun and budget was low, but the rims/wheels and their inability to handle nice tires (too narrow) or go tubeless, the quick release axles and the overall geometry and quality of the bike has me wondering if it's time to upgrade. I told myself I'd ride it for a while and prove that I would stick to the sport and then reward myself. So should I upgrade?

Part 2 - what to get? My budget is really $2k-$2,700ish. My list of bikes I'm looking at is quite long: yt jeffsey base, polygon siskiu t8, vitus mythique vrx, vitus escarpe cr, canyon neuron al 7.0, something from commencal, giant trance, marin rift zone, I know, it's annoying. I feel like I start leaning one way and talk myself out of it. Doesn't help that everything is out of stock, or maybe it does.

My name is Chris, and I have a problem...

I would say the first step is to decide if you're gonna stick with the sport. If you are, it is time to upgrade for sure. All of those bikes are good, the next step is to narrow it down to riding style.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 19:24 Quote
Yeah, I think I’m definitely in for the long haul. I’m hooked and loving it. For riding style, most of the stuff around here is standard blue and some black trail riding. With a few trips to Pisgah/DuPont a season with more techy stuff with legit elevation.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
Cadams7 wrote:
Yeah, I think I’m definitely in for the long haul. I’m hooked and loving it. For riding style, most of the stuff around here is standard blue and some black trail riding. With a few trips to Pisgah/DuPont a season with more techy stuff with legit elevation.

the yt jeffsy is a solid bike and it rides well.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
irvinemtb wrote:
Cadams7 wrote:
Yeah, I think I’m definitely in for the long haul. I’m hooked and loving it. For riding style, most of the stuff around here is standard blue and some black trail riding. With a few trips to Pisgah/DuPont a season with more techy stuff with legit elevation.

the yt jeffsy is a solid bike and it rides well.

Agreed. a Jeffsy would treat you well.

Posted: Dec 9, 2020 at 19:10 Quote
Hi guys, new here and looking for my first "real" mountain bike. All the trails around me seem somewhat tame from the research I've done, mostly woods trails with the occasional rock garden and tree roots. After some research, the Vitus Nucleus VR and Nukeproof Scout Race seem to be good value beginner bikes. However, I'm not the youngest MTB beginner (in my mid 30's) and was wondering if I shouldn't just go straight to a full suspension so I'm not sore for days afterward. I'm not in a hurry to get a bike right away, just want to get one before springtime around March so waiting until a specific bike is in stock shouldn't be an issue. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on my first bike not knowing if I'm going to like it or not, but I also don't want to cheap out and get something that's going to make it unenjoyable. Would it be worth it to just invest in a full suspension bike like the Vitus Mythique instead of a hardtail? Also, I'm 5 ft, 6.5 inches tall which seems to be right in between a size small and a medium. Should I go for the small or the medium?


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.007136
Mobile Version of Website