Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
sangier wrote:
MacDuffaluffacus42 wrote:
sangier wrote:


we do a lot of blue and black trails. We recently did a 30mile enduro ride with 8kft of climbing. The bike held up well, the only thing that he has changed is the fork; he put on a fox 34, last year.

Do you guys ever do any jumping or drops? I primarily ride bike parks, and I’ve been progressing with my dirt jumping,but we occasionally venture to local bike trails.

the bikes been to the bike park. we recently did a black trail with 4ft drops and jumps.
Dope, much thanks.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
Hey guys, I've been looking at bikes for a while and it's finally time to choose one...I ride a lot of flow and jump trails but I am also on a xc/trail race team, I want an enduro bike with no more than 170/160mm of travel and no less than 150/140mm of travel. I need a bike that can climb, hit jumps, and shred the downhill. A do-it-all bike with a budget of $3700, meaning 3500 on a website because of shipping or 3700 used.
I've looked at commencal, propain, privateer, santa cruz. I do not want yt or canyon. Anyway some help on what I should get would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 13:34 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:
Hey guys, I've been looking at bikes for a while and it's finally time to choose one...I ride a lot of flow and jump trails but I am also on a xc/trail race team, I want an enduro bike with no more than 170/160mm of travel and no less than 150/140mm of travel. I need a bike that can climb, hit jumps, and shred the downhill. A do-it-all bike with a budget of $3700, meaning 3500 on a website because of shipping or 3700 used.
I've looked at commencal, propain, privateer, santa cruz. I do not want yt or canyon. Anyway some help on what I should get would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I know you didn't mention Transition bikes, but they make some super fun enduro bikes. Their bike that would fit your criteria would be the 27.5 Patrol which has 170/160 mm or travel. Also there is the Kona Process 153 which Is another super fun bike that comes in 29 or 27.5 wheel sizes.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 13:48 Quote
Thanks I'll take a look!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:
Thanks I'll take a look!

Commencal Meta trail or Santa Cruz Tallboy. I know they don’t exactly fit your parameters, but just read the PinkBike review on the 2020 tallboy.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
I have almost bought a meta tr a couple times but had second thought nothing wrong with it but nothing exceptional with it that's all, I read the review for the tallboy and I'm not interested in it only because I run 120mm rear on my current bike and would like to get more into jumps and downhill I'm starting to ride more rough tech and black diamond jump lines that I'd like more travel on for confidence. I also don't want to spend all my money on something that is going to ride really similar to what I have now because I'm 15 and like to try out some different styles of bikes. Thank you for your response!

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:
I have almost bought a meta tr a couple times but had second thought nothing wrong with it but nothing exceptional with it that's all, I read the review for the tallboy and I'm not interested in it only because I run 120mm rear on my current bike and would like to get more into jumps and downhill I'm starting to ride more rough tech and black diamond jump lines that I'd like more travel on for confidence. I also don't want to spend all my money on something that is going to ride really similar to what I have now because I'm 15 and like to try out some different styles of bikes. Thank you for your response!

If your budget is lower and you want to get a solid enduro bike, i'd look at the used market. Also, Polygon n7 & n9 are great options. Awesome spec and great reviews

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:
I have almost bought a meta tr a couple times but had second thought nothing wrong with it but nothing exceptional with it that's all, I read the review for the tallboy and I'm not interested in it only because I run 120mm rear on my current bike and would like to get more into jumps and downhill I'm starting to ride more rough tech and black diamond jump lines that I'd like more travel on for confidence. I also don't want to spend all my money on something that is going to ride really similar to what I have now because I'm 15 and like to try out some different styles of bikes. Thank you for your response!

With your description, (rough tech, black diamond jump trails, etc) you’ll want at least a capable trail bike. The Meta Tr is a fantastic example. I would go as far as to recommend an enduro bike. Budget oriented, I’d try looking at the base models of YT, Canyon, or Commencal. If you’re able to pay more, you could look at Santa Cruz, Transition, or maybe Propain or something like that.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 5:49 Quote
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking to upgrade to a modern MTB. Can you guys give some opinions as to what travel/wheel size to go for? Mostly Central Mass riding, which means rooty, rocky and hilly. Also want this next bike to be plenty capable at Highland Park, I tried downhill for the first time last year and am hungry for more(although bike park will be a smaller portion of the riding ill be doing).

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
stanho1111 wrote:
Hey Everyone,
I'm looking to upgrade to a modern MTB. Can you guys give some opinions as to what travel/wheel size to go for? Mostly Central Mass riding, which means rooty, rocky and hilly. Also want this next bike to be plenty capable at Highland Park, I tried downhill for the first time last year and am hungry for more(although bike park will be a smaller portion of the riding ill be doing).

Sounds like you don't want a full enduro but still love enduro riding, me personally I prefer 29ers because they roll over everything and keep the speed where a 27.5 would better suit you for jumps, tight cornering, and acceleration. So from what you say you ride i'd get 29s. Travel wise I would go with at least 130 in the rear although it might just be better to get 140mm, my friends that have 130 say they can go through it pretty fast, and if your not racing or anything 140 provides a nice confidence boost. Up front go with 150-160mm It'll attack whatever you throw at it. As far as geometry goes look for a head tube angle between 63.5 - 65.5 degrees just because that range will do good at everything. On the lower side around 64 degrees the bike will have more stability down hills and at the higher side around 65 degrees your body will be positioned more forwards which will be better at climbing but still handle great on the downhill. As tempting as it may be, be careful about canyon and yt their frames aren't that great, commencal is okay though. Look at specialized, Marin(my personal favorite) commencal, peopain, orbea, vitus, or ns.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
Thank you to everyone who helped me out on this thread I've decided to buy a Marin Alpine trail carbon 1.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:
Thank you to everyone who helped me out on this thread I've decided to buy a Marin Alpine trail carbon 1.

nice, thats a solid bike

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
I changed my mind lol and I just bought a Scott ransom, ill have the confidence to do anything with 170/170mm and the efficiency to climb back up to the top when I hit a lever and the suspension changes to 120/120mm and then theirs also full lockout. The geometry is aggressive but not too aggressive for my riding style and with the flip of a chip I can run a 27.5 wheel set if I wanted too. So that's why I bought this bike because its versatility is amazing, thanks again for the people who responded in this thread

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 21:01 Quote
I'm not going to read through 300 pages of posts to find an answer to my question. Basically what I'm looking for is a bike to bum around the streets that can take an ass beating like no other. Mountain bikes are too big. BMX bikes are too small. Should I get a dirt jumper? Is a slopestyle bike too much bike for what I'm trying to do?

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 22:20 Quote
DedCruz666 wrote:
I'm not going to read through 300 pages of posts to find an answer to my question. Basically what I'm looking for is a bike to bum around the streets that can take an ass beating like no other. Mountain bikes are too big. BMX bikes are too small. Should I get a dirt jumper? Is a slopestyle bike too much bike for what I'm trying to do?
Lime you just want to ride around? Or like you want to send stair gaps and ride ledges?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008727
Mobile Version of Website