Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
I’m 6’4 and somewhere around 180. I’d rate my skill level at around intermediate expert and I’m looking for a bike that wouldn’t break the bank and be able to tackle local trails and bike parks. I currently ride a size xl xc bike that currently isn’t working for me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted: Mar 22, 2021 at 19:46 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
I’m 6’4 and somewhere around 180. I’d rate my skill level at around intermediate expert and I’m looking for a bike that wouldn’t break the bank and be able to tackle local trails and bike parks. I currently ride a size xl xc bike that currently isn’t working for me. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

I'd check out the Commencal Meta, YT Capra, or a Specialized Stumpjumper EVO. These bikes are pretty affordable and ride sweet! The Commencal and YT might not be in stock so you might have to wait.

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 4:40 Quote
Thanks man! I’ll definitely check em out.

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
Used to race moto-x and now getting into bikes with some buddies. What's a decent hard tail thats around 800-1500$ cad that I can ride trails with but also do some jumps without destroying it? Would also be great if I could upgrade it in the future as I progress.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 18:56 Quote
SK3WT3R wrote:
Used to race moto-x and now getting into bikes with some buddies. What's a decent hard tail thats around 800-1500$ cad that I can ride trails with but also do some jumps without destroying it? Would also be great if I could upgrade it in the future as I progress.

Check out Commencal HT AM

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 21:02 Quote
ryan77777 wrote:
SK3WT3R wrote:

Check out Commencal HT AM

They are very nice bikes. Sadly after shipping and taxes they are 2100$ which is a bit more than I'm really willing to spend on a first bike.

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 21:24 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
Thanks!

Sounds like a good travel range for you would be 140mm and up look at Marin, Scott, canyon, yt, commencal...commencal meta tr probably would be awesome for you!

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
SK3WT3R wrote:

Awesome! For sure check out commencal meta ht you can get one under 1500 for a decent build and they ride amazing!

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 22:14 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:
SK3WT3R wrote:

Awesome! For sure check out commencal meta ht you can get one under 1500 for a decent build and they ride amazing!

On their site the cheapest meta ht is 1699$ Canadian and after shipping and taxes it's a 2000$ bike.

Posted: Mar 26, 2021 at 21:30 Quote
I would check out the Specialized Pitch or Rockhopper. Also, I'd check out the Vitus hardtails.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 17:24 Quote
Hello shredders,

I'm looking to buying an MTB and I've been looking to do mostly bike park riding (there's a bike park about 10mins drive from my home)

I haven't ridden a bike in a good 10 years, not to say that I'm not active I've just been skating and I'm looking to get back into mountain bikes which I was quite interested in when I was in my teens.

I've been looking at duel suspension and damn the technology has changed in the last 10 years I remember seeing a bike with over 100mm travel was pretty uncommon.

anywho that's a little about myself.

bikes I've been looking at at the Trek Slash 7, Norco Sight A2 and the Polygon N9, i feel these bikes will suit well to the bike park but also can be upgraded down the line But am I aiming too high as what is essentially learning to ride again and maybe pick up something like a Norco fluid or Merida one forty. any advice would be much appriciated.

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 15:55 Quote
Howdy doodly neighborino's,

I'm wanting to get back into the sport after a bit of a hiatus since college. I used to ride a ~$600 hardtail as a commuter to class and on the local trails. But after daily use over 3-4 years pretty much everything miraculously broke at once in my last week of classes.

Anyways, I've been in the market for a new bike for a few weeks now and learned quick that there's a massive bike shortage. I did as much research I could in a weekend and set out looking for a hardtail that I can re-learn with but that can also handle whatever I might be able to throw at it in the future. I'm trying to stay under $2000 so I was between used FS or new hardtail. My thinking was I might as well get a new, higher end HT that will last me and get a newer used FS down the road if I really feel I need it.

I ended up passing on a Trek X Caliper I came across because someone on reddit said that would be the bare minimum they would suggest for the type of riding I plan to do. But last week I put a deposit down on a Giant Fathom 1 that's supposed to arrive in about a month. So the question is, do y'all think the Giant Fathom 1 would be a good, capable bike to a re-beginner planning on riding relatively aggressively?

Sorry for the long post and rambling. Would really appreciate any advice, thanks!

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
check out the Santa Cruz chameleon.

Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
Or the specialized fuse.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
HughJaynus wrote:
Howdy doodly neighborino's,

I'm wanting to get back into the sport after a bit of a hiatus since college. I used to ride a ~$600 hardtail as a commuter to class and on the local trails. But after daily use over 3-4 years pretty much everything miraculously broke at once in my last week of classes.

Anyways, I've been in the market for a new bike for a few weeks now and learned quick that there's a massive bike shortage. I did as much research I could in a weekend and set out looking for a hardtail that I can re-learn with but that can also handle whatever I might be able to throw at it in the future. I'm trying to stay under $2000 so I was between used FS or new hardtail. My thinking was I might as well get a new, higher end HT that will last me and get a newer used FS down the road if I really feel I need it.

I ended up passing on a Trek X Caliper I came across because someone on reddit said that would be the bare minimum they would suggest for the type of riding I plan to do. But last week I put a deposit down on a Giant Fathom 1 that's supposed to arrive in about a month. So the question is, do y'all think the Giant Fathom 1 would be a good, capable bike to a re-beginner planning on riding relatively aggressively?

Sorry for the long post and rambling. Would really appreciate any advice, thanks!

I wouldn't say that bike is ideal for aggressive riding. I know the bike shortage is making it hard, but still keep an eye on the used market near you just in case something pops up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013578
Mobile Version of Website