Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 14:11 Quote
NY2TOKYO wrote:
I guess I’m back to being a beginner rider after not riding for many years. I’m looking for something versatile. I will be traveling Europe so I will be shredding around the city and also will be looking for cool trails to hit. I need something that can do both comfortably. Two brands I really like is Santa Cruz and Commencal, but they have sp many models I don’t even know where to start. Should I go for the XC which will give me more pedaling stability in the city? Or should I even go for a hard tail. I used to have a SC Bronson back in the day and it was a little too much for city riding, or maybe the frame I went with was too large for me. Anyway I don’t have a budget really, so for Santa Cruz I’ll be looking at CC frame with reserve wheels.

Hello! I am the same way in a sense I wanted something extremely versatile! I ended up choosing a Scott Ransom because it has 170mm in full open but with the flick of a lever on the handlebars you can lock everything out or go into short travel mode rocking 120mm front and rear......The point is look at a Scott Genius which comes with 150mm front and rear, it is a great amount because the bike isn't as heavy as a full enduro and is a great amount of travel for some flow, jumps, xc(don't expect to be the fastest xc rider), and everything else. You will be able to ride a Scott genius in full open suspension or lock it out or have short ravel which make it a 3 in 1 while still looking like a badass! If you want to only ride xc and blue trails go with the scott spark which is the same bike just lighter and has less travel coming in at 120mm in full open it is definitely a xc bike. I know commencal is tempting because they are such good value but theres only a few shops in the country that carry it so horrible customer service and it is consumer direct so just not as great. Don't be afraid to buy off pinkbike if you use paypal nothing can go wrong! All in all I recommend Scott!

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
ewp2005 wrote:

I would not get that medium, I am 5'8" and I ride a large Scott Ransom which is feeling great...If I were you I'd get a large[/Quote]

I ended up testing both on a short trail ride and the medium had a much better feel whereas the large felt too big off pavement. Maybe I’m between sizes for that Salsa but the medium salsa slots in pretty closely with the large Scott Ransom. The Salsa medium is a 470 reach vs a 490 reach on the large

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
iridedj wrote:
DJR2013 wrote:
Can anybody provide some sizing feedback? I am looking at the Salsa Blackthorn. I am 5'9" with a 33" inseam and +2 ape index (long limbs, short torso) which puts me square in the middle of the medium recommendation. I demoed a size medium and it feels great but maybe a little cramped in the cockpit. I have the stock 50mm stem and add a riser bars to space it out a little. Saddle back +5mm. I also got a chance to sit on a size large. the wheelbase was long and I was a little stretched out but a 40mm stem might help with that.

I think it really depends on what you like and what you normally ride, do you like popping down the trail, or straight lining as fast as you can? I'm not sure about those bikes, but is it possible to use a reach extending headset on the medium? The large does look like the fit is a bit better? And you could also go all the way down to a 32mm stem. Could be a good option.

Late to the question. But i think the better fit might be the Large. Personally I do prefer a smaller bike though. I'm 5'10" and i more oten than not size down to the Medium. Its more personal preference, if you were able to demo them on the trails, which one felt "better" to ride.

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 19:59 Quote
Hey everyone,
Probably a repetitive question as usual, so here it goes.
Just a few weeks ago, I got back on the saddle of a rental bike (Rossignol All Track R-Duro in a size medium while I'm 6 foot) and I absolutely fell back in love with biking. I used to ride a ton at spirit mountain in Duluth Minnesota and at a local dirt jump park with a Slopestyle bike and a hard tail DJ. Now I'm much more into trail riding and downhill stuff. I've been looking around at used and new bikes all over. I loved the feel of a smaller bike for me to play around with and really be snappy with it. And I have access to land that I'm sure I can build nice trails on and send some pretty big gaps. I'm on a budget and it's been difficult to find something that intrigues me that's under 3000 bucks. I want something a little over kill for normal trail riding near me so that when I take a monthly trip up to the bike park in Duluth I am well prepared and can handle the downhill riding and bigger jumps on those trails. So here is the question. Are there any bikes that anyone thinks would be a good balance between being well able to handle downhill while being decent at genera trail riding, and are there anythings that stick out to you while reading my post that you'd like to correct me on? I'd really appreciate any input, as I want a great bike that won't hold back my abilities and can hold up to being a bulldog on the downhill trails. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Aug 24, 2021 at 22:45 Quote
Wyattnel wrote:
Hey everyone,
Probably a repetitive question as usual, so here it goes.
Just a few weeks ago, I got back on the saddle of a rental bike (Rossignol All Track R-Duro in a size medium while I'm 6 foot) and I absolutely fell back in love with biking. I used to ride a ton at spirit mountain in Duluth Minnesota and at a local dirt jump park with a Slopestyle bike and a hard tail DJ. Now I'm much more into trail riding and downhill stuff. I've been looking around at used and new bikes all over. I loved the feel of a smaller bike for me to play around with and really be snappy with it. And I have access to land that I'm sure I can build nice trails on and send some pretty big gaps. I'm on a budget and it's been difficult to find something that intrigues me that's under 3000 bucks. I want something a little over kill for normal trail riding near me so that when I take a monthly trip up to the bike park in Duluth I am well prepared and can handle the downhill riding and bigger jumps on those trails. So here is the question. Are there any bikes that anyone thinks would be a good balance between being well able to handle downhill while being decent at genera trail riding, and are there anythings that stick out to you while reading my post that you'd like to correct me on? I'd really appreciate any input, as I want a great bike that won't hold back my abilities and can hold up to being a bulldog on the downhill trails. Thanks in advance!

I would look at the Commencal Clash. That bike is super fun for jumps, dh, and even isn't that bad at climbing. I have lots of experience with this bike. The only downside is you'll have to wait a few months cause it's a consumer direct brand. Another good option is YT Industrys, they make very solid, cheap, fun bikes that I also have experience with. If I were you, I strongly recommend you get the clash ride because it has a dropper and MUCH improved suspension even though it'll be available in December. Its totally worth the wait

https://www.commencalusa.com/clash-ride-c2x30728203

https://www.commencalusa.com/clash-origin-slate-grey-2021-c2x31920162

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
Hey people,

I'm getting into the sport after starting a new job where the primary way to make friends at work is on a bike. I've done a few days at the bike park and someone loaned me a YT jeffsy for a quick after work ride. I've been researching bikes to try to find something that will be able to pedal uphill without being too much of a slog and will handle weekly/biweekly trips to the bike park (I live near Aspen, so the Snowmass bike park is a frequent Saturday activity).

The two bikes I've been looking at the most are the new mulleted Transition Patrol and the SC Nomad v5 but I am willing to look elsewhere. Ideally, the bike I buy wont need to be going insanely fast to feel good, and will just want to find every feature to pop off of and play.

Some concerns- will the low bb of the new patrol make it really difficult for a newer rider to avoid pedalstrikes on the downhill? I know pedalstrikes will happen on the uphill. Will the new patrol be a bit too rowdy for me to control?

Thanks for the help.

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
If you're gonna be climbing, you'd probably be better on a full 29er like the Spire. (Assuming you're tall enough for it)

If you're going to be riding a lift accessed park regularly definitely get an Enduro bike not a trail bike. Or get a trail bike and a DH bike depending on your budget.

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
Nobble wrote:
If you're gonna be climbing, you'd probably be better on a full 29er like the Spire. (Assuming you're tall enough for it)

If you're going to be riding a lift accessed park regularly definitely get an Enduro bike not a trail bike. Or get a trail bike and a DH bike depending on your budget.

Do you have any suggestions for Enduro bikes to look at?

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
I'm thinking about buying a new Specialized Enduro. Other bikes that would be high on my list are the Transition Spire and Scott Ransom.

Pretty much anything with 160mm+ of travel. If you're a newer rider, I would suggest staying away from a factory direct brand. The cost savings are appealing, but having a physical place you can go if you have questions or need help is very valuable.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
Im a somewhat beginner looking at a fs bike. im narrowed it down to 2. im also still a teen so im looking for the best bang for your buck bike out there

Here are the bikes:
https://www.polygonbikes.com/product/mountain/siskiu-t7-2/

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/mountain/trail/fluid-fs/fluid-fs-3/

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
liam31 wrote:
Im a somewhat beginner looking at a fs bike. im narrowed it down to 2. im also still a teen so im looking for the best bang for your buck bike out there

Here are the bikes:
https://www.polygonbikes.com/product/mountain/siskiu-t7-2/

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/mountain/trail/fluid-fs/fluid-fs-3/

Polygon bikes aren't sold in Canada so you'd have to import and that will cost a lot in taxes/fees. If you want DTC look at YT and Commencal as those brands are available in Canada. Depending on how long you're willing to wait you might just have to go with what is available to you. Don't count out the used market either.

Posted: Oct 3, 2021 at 16:38 Quote
Hey guys, don't want to sound repetitive but... I am not new to biking, love to race xc, and shred. I am looking at getting a 120mm travel front and rear bike with 29ers so I can race xc competitively but still keep up with the squad down some tech trails. what would you guys recommend? My budget would probably be capped around 2500 but I could maybe squeeze a tiny bit more. thanks so much!

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
Take a look at the Cannondale habit

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
Hi just kind of getting into mountain biking and looking for a good hardtail. Probably 29er with 120mm fork. I dont wanna spend to much more than a grand. Any suggestions? Would a 100mm be good enough? Thanks.

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
Hey what’s up,
I’m not really a beginner but I’m looking for and enduro or dh bike for urban freeride. Anything from stair gaps to roof drops. Any help will be appreciated.

Ps.
Roof drop is a possibility

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008734
Mobile Version of Website