Powered by Outside

Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread

PB Forum :: Beginners
Beginner "What bike should I get?" Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 7:05 Quote
skelsch wrote:
Hi everyone! I am new to mountain biking and I need to get a bike. My local mountain has enduro trails built, and I am currently riding my sisters Ragely Marley until she heals up from injury. I would definitely appreciate any help on the subject!

I am about 5'3 and 150 lbs, looking for a hardtail bike that has an enduro type of style.

My budget is around $1,500, and I will purchase new or used, as long as it is in good condition.

I can ride a medium frame but I am also interested in slightly larger frames so I would go up to a large max. Preferrably aluminum/steel frame material as well due to durability.

Let me know if you have any advice - for bike purchasing, trail riding advice, or just any advice you would give to a new rider. Thanks!

I'm a huge fan of the RSD Middlechild. They have a few build options, but their aluminum frame (what I ride) hits that price range. Here's a review video I made of it a couple months ago. Hope it helps!
https://youtu.be/jN_MOl6NS44

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 8:43 Quote
I'm personally a big find of focusing on geometry before parts, as parts are (relatively) easy to swap, but your frame geometry isn't going anywhere. I prefer bikes that feel a bit more playful as opposed to overly fast and stable. Here's a video I made explaining my taste in geometry.

Posted: May 3, 2024 at 13:58 Quote
So I'm looking to buy a used bike for my son (12yo 5'3") have kind of narrowed down by price and availability to a 2017 Specialized FSR and a 2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC both are medium frame, in similar price range, condition and both are converted to 9 speed.
I'm guessing from his current crap bike usage that split will be 50% neighborhood, 30% light trails /dirt roads and 20% mountain trails / mild downhill.
I would rather lean overkill than have him hurt due to inadequate equipment.
I am wheelchair bound so cannot test ride.

is there anything on either bike I should be wary of or lean towards for any reason?

Thanks

Posted: May 15, 2024 at 9:19 Quote
If I want to change out a rear shock do I need the exact measurements for the eye to eye and shock rate?

Posted: May 15, 2024 at 9:42 Quote
Davidk2473 wrote:
If I want to change out a rear shock do I need the exact measurements for the eye to eye and shock rate?

That's the best approach.
Get the correct length eye-to-eye and the proper stroke length when replacing a rear shock and you're on the way to success. WAIT: That's the easiest part.
The place where most folks find problems is getting the correct connection hardware: the new shock may come with different hardware than your current setup is designed for.
Worldwide Cyclery has a good blog post explaining some of this.

If it's too confusing then just go to your LBS and let them help.

Posted: May 15, 2024 at 13:31 Quote
Thank you brotha!!!!

Posted: May 24, 2024 at 9:19 Quote
Ok not sure right thread but I'm looking to get a new bike through work and my budget is £1500, I've been biking since is was 13 (38 now) and I want to get back into it properly like trails/dh/DJ so I'm currently torn between 3 bikes.
1) http://https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Habit-HT-1-Mountain-Bike-2023-Hardtail-MTB_258363.htm?sku=924672.
2)http://https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Big-Trail-600-Mountain-Bike-2023-Hardtail-MTB_244379.htm?sku=824823 or
3) http://https://www.tredz.co.uk/.GT-Zaskar-LT-Elite-29-Mountain-Bike-2023-Hardtail-MTB_225771.htm?sku=926411 All are 2023 bikes and id be using the extra left over for upgrades on each bike. I'm just not sure which especially which would be easier to maintain. I know the GT is cheapest but also has sram sx parts and the horrible truvativ powerspline bb( lots of bad experiences) this isnt my 1st 29" as had the big trail 500 last year but got stolen just after Xmas so been back on my old 2007 cove stiffee.

Posted: May 24, 2024 at 10:25 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Ok ...so I'm currently torn between 3 bikes.
1) Cannondale-Habit-HT-1-Mountain-Bike-2023-
2)Merida-Big-Trail-600-Mountain-Bike-2023-
3)GT-Zaskar-LT-Elite-29-Mountain-Bike-2023
All are 2023 bikes and id be using the extra left over for upgrades on each bike. I'm just not sure which especially which would be easier to maintain. I know the GT is cheapest but also has sram sx parts and the horrible truvativ powerspline bb( lots of bad experiences) this isnt my 1st 29" as had the big trail 500 last year but got stolen just after Xmas so been back on my old 2007 cove stiffee.

As far as easier to maintain...there isn't much to compare here - they are all relatively equal hardtails without much to maintain. A 1x drivetrain, hydraulic brakes and a fork are all pretty easy to work on. The hubs, BB, drivetrain components will wear out, but they'll be easy to replace with upgrades in the future.
You've ruled out the GT yourself so focus on the Cannondale and the Merida.

Between those two I prefer the Cannondale for my riding needs. The spec sheet shows that it has a UDH which can help to future proof the bike in next generation shifting systems that will compete with the SRAM T-type (can't wait to see these) - also dead easy to find a replacement hanger if necessary. I also like how the chain stay and seat stay come together in the rear. Merida does a weird step in the seat stay - maybe they needed to find room for the chain or rack/fender mounts - anyway, Connondale did it more elegantly in my opinion. That said, if you're looking for kickstand mounts, rear rack mounts and multiple water bottle location the Merida may be your ride. Hard to tell here but the Cannondale looks to have less option in that department.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Posted: May 24, 2024 at 10:42 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
All are 2023 bikes and id be using the extra left over for upgrades on each bike. I'm just not sure which especially which would be easier to maintain. I know the GT is cheapest but also has sram sx parts and the horrible truvativ powerspline bb( lots of bad experiences) this isnt my 1st 29" as had the big trail 500 last year but got stolen just after Xmas so been back on my old 2007 cove stiffee.

As far as easier to maintain...there isn't much to compare here - they are all relatively equal hardtails without much to maintain. A 1x drivetrain, hydraulic brakes and a fork are all pretty easy to work on. The hubs, BB, drivetrain components will wear out, but they'll be easy to replace with upgrades in the future.

Between those two I prefer the Cannondale for my riding needs. The spec sheet shows that it has a UDH which can help to future proof the bike in next generation shifting systems that will compete with the SRAM T-type (can't wait to see these) - also dead easy to find a replacement hanger if necessary. I also like how the chain stay and seat stay come together in the rear. Merida does a weird step in the seat stay - maybe they needed to find room for the chain or rack/fender mounts - anyway, Connondale did it more elegantly in my opinion. That said, if you're looking for kickstand mounts, rear rack mounts and multiple water bottle location the Merida may be your ride. Hard to tell here but the Cannondale looksAnd lQto have less option in that department.

That's true the way I've complained about the GT does rule it out. As far as specs go I do feel the Cannondale is better overall and I would be extending the fork travel to 140mm anyway, all I would add to the Cannondale is some new pedals. I do feel I'm leaning more towards the Cannondale and as my cove is getting close to 20yr old I do want to future proof my next bike as much as possible.

Posted: May 26, 2024 at 19:25 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:

Between those two I prefer the Cannondale for my riding needs. The spec sheet shows that it has a UDH which can help to future proof the bike in next generation shifting systems that will compete with the SRAM T-type (can't wait to see these) - also dead easy to find a replacement hanger if necessary. I also like how the chain stay and seat stay come together in the rear. Merida does a weird step in the seat stay - maybe they needed to find room for the chain or rack/fender mounts - anyway, Connondale did it more elegantly in my opinion. That said, if you're looking for kickstand mounts, rear rack mounts and multiple water bottle location the Merida may be your ride. Hard to tell here but the Cannondale looksAnd lQto have less option in that department.

That's true the way I've complained about the GT does rule it out. As far as specs go I do feel the Cannondale is better overall and I would be extending the fork travel to 140mm anyway, all I would add to the Cannondale is some new pedals. I do feel I'm leaning more towards the Cannondale and as my cove is getting close to 20yr old I do want to future proof my next bike as much as possible.

I also notice Cannondale no longer uses press fit bttom bracket. It is threaded. So that's good. Though I personally never had problems with press fit and one of my Cannondale bikes has it. After 7 years no issue. It's just something the majority wants now.

Posted: Jun 26, 2024 at 13:17 Quote
Hey I'm trying to choose between a 2020 giant trance 3 27.5 and a 2020 Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy Comp. The riding near me is more focused on trail riding but there are a few places near me where I can ride some steeper downhill which I prefer and will be doing often. There's only about a $25 price difference between the two and I won't have a ton of money to upgrade parts right away but I do plan to upgrade here or there depending on when I can get some extra cash.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011569
Mobile Version of Website