Weight loss with long distance cycling

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Weight loss with long distance cycling
Posted: Jul 8, 2011 at 8:58 Quote
Awesome Job Dino. I went from 330 last spring and I am now down to 267 as of this morning. ANd like every said I agree. You need to burn more then you intake. If you are looking for a good site to use to track your intake go to www.myfitnesspal.com. They have a great library of food and workouts. Good Luck on your Weight Loss.

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 at 10:38 Quote
dinosaurinachinastore wrote:
I actually just hit my goal weight of 185 lbs today, down from 273 lbs a year ago, if I can do it you can do it ! Good luck!
Congratulations. I am on a similar path. I still have a way to go.

Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 21:40 Quote
Any way to get some motivation guys? everyday I want to go but I lazy out and since my fixie isn't around and I've waited almost 60 days for it to arrive... yes it was that badly out of stock, I've lost the desire to ride much until it arrives Tuesday, what is your guys kick boost, I want to lose like 10 or 20 pounds

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 23:30 Quote
icashjk wrote:
Awesome Job Dino. I went from 330 last spring and I am now down to 267 as of this morning. ANd like every said I agree. You need to burn more then you intake. If you are looking for a good site to use to track your intake go to www.myfitnesspal.com. They have a great library of food and workouts. Good Luck on your Weight Loss.

RDOwens wrote:
dinosaurinachinastore wrote:
I actually just hit my goal weight of 185 lbs today, down from 273 lbs a year ago, if I can do it you can do it ! Good luck!
Congratulations. I am on a similar path. I still have a way to go.

Thanks guys, It took a lot of work, but it was worth it. Keep plugging away at it, you'll be happy you did!

XTC-FTW wrote:
Any way to get some motivation guys? everyday I want to go but I lazy out and since my fixie isn't around and I've waited almost 60 days for it to arrive... yes it was that badly out of stock, I've lost the desire to ride much until it arrives Tuesday, what is your guys kick boost, I want to lose like 10 or 20 pounds

I had an epiphany where I literally said this is bullshit and I decided to lose the weight, and once I started losing the only thing I wanted to do was keep losing. To help you get started, set a hard goal (not necessarily your final weight, could be just the first 10 pounds or some other increment) and a reward for when you get there. Pick a bike part or something that you're going to be super stoked about, and keep that in your mind when you're riding. If you need to, buy it and put it somewhere you'll see it all the time, that way it'll tempt you into losing the weight. Good luck, the hard work will be worth it!

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 4:30 Quote
I'm like 5'5. A few years ago I was mostly inactive, with a desk job and my diet exclusively consisted of junk food. The motivator was when I got to 180 pounds. It rang a bell in my head because I got to a point I didn't like how I looked and lets face it, it's the highway to health problems later on (I could feel my heart act weird from time to time). Got a gym subscription and started reading a lot on nutrition and applying the principles. I lost 40 pounds within 3 months and never stopped moving from there. I'm at like 135 right now and I can still lose some fat but I don't really have much left to be honest so I don't really care anymore. I keep biking because I love it and I still train because I find it fun to achieve the mini goals I constantly set. It's easier to maintain if you move a minimum and keep eating well.

The best way to keep motivation is to do something you like or it's just not going to cut it. The idea of shedding fat is boring, biking is not though. It's hard to get the kickstart as we all are a little lazy at first but once you start losing some pounds, that's usually a BIG motivator right there.

Keep in mind that the last miles are usually the longest. If you're not all bent out of shape and you could only lose like 10 pounds, it might be harder to lose those 10 than losing 50 for someone who is 100 pounds overweight.

Posted: Aug 4, 2011 at 22:33 Quote
make sure when you road ride you spin spin spin, lay off that big front ring that's for building strength, for now just spin, another thing, lotta ppl here are talking about calories, yea watching your calories is kinda important but believe me its not as important as watching your carb intake, if your not running a Marathon or doing 100 mile bike rides lay off the carbs, eat no more than 100 carbs a day, lotta ppl dont realise that carbs its what making them fat.

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 at 4:53 Quote
necronutz wrote:
make sure when you road ride you spin spin spin, lay off that big front ring that's for building strength, for now just spin, another thing, lotta ppl here are talking about calories, yea watching your calories is kinda important but believe me its not as important as watching your carb intake, if your not running a Marathon or doing 100 mile bike rides lay off the carbs, eat no more than 100 carbs a day, lotta ppl dont realise that carbs its what making them fat.

That is a false statement. Carbs are not resposible for gaining fat, calorie intake is.

Carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram.
Proteins contain 4 calories per gram.
Fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Anything you eat translates into calories. If you have a bigger intake than what you burn, you'll be stocking fat at the end of the day no matter what you ate. Carbs are energy, carbs are good. Lay off the fat if anything...

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 at 17:10 Quote
yes and no, not all carbs are created equal, when i mentioned to lower the carb intake i was talking about bad carbs, the sad thing is that most ppl think that eating whole wheat products is helping when its really not, i don't want to go all scientific but that stuff turns into sugar in your body, when you have too much its stored in fat, bad carbs are most cereals, whole wheat, and whole grain crackers just to give an example. you want good carbs go to the organic store and buy some millet, sprouted grain, spelt bread and or crackers just to name a few, oh and guess what all fruits and vegetables have carbs, good carbs, we should be eating a ton of those.

You mentioned Fat, again yes and no, same as carbs there are good fats and bad fats, most ppl use soybean oil witch is in vegetable oil(soy is extremely bad for males, look it up) and canola, margarine, hydrogenated oils, most commonly used oils, these are very very bad, good fats are coconut oils, peanut oils, butter(yes real butter) nuts avocados, natural unprocessed fats are good for you and your body needs them. even the fat in steaks is better for you than processed oils.

"Counting calories is actually detrimental to your fat loss efforts and can begin to work against you when trying to lose belly fat. Calorie counting often takes your body into starvation mode which will only cause your body to hold on to all of your bad fat…exactly what you DON’T want"

look you wanna loose weight, eat real food that comes from earth, about 85% of the stuff you buy at grocery stores is processed, eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, all beans. not only will you loose weight ull have more energy and feel better.

PLC07 wrote:
necronutz wrote:

That is a false statement. Carbs are not resposible for gaining fat, calorie intake is.

Carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram.
Proteins contain 4 calories per gram.
Fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Anything you eat translates into calories. If you have a bigger intake than what you burn, you'll be stocking fat at the end of the day no matter what you ate. Carbs are energy, carbs are good. Lay off the fat if anything...

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 at 4:27 Quote
necronutz wrote:
You mentioned Fat, again yes and no, same as carbs there are good fats and bad fats, most ppl use soybean oil witch is in vegetable oil(soy is extremely bad for males, look it up)

I actually looked it up a while ago and there is no scientific study that actually proves that.

http://zenhabits.net/soy/

I've read some of the rare independent studies and they all come down to the conclusion that it MAY help in some cases and MAY be detrimental in some other but nothing is set in stone as there are not enough studies... If you're lazy you can just look up soy on wikipedia, they debunk it there too... Oh and find me vegetarians/vegans who have been incomodated by soy in any way? That's what I thought. By now we'd know. Lay off the bro science please.

Counting calories can be a good thing. A ton of professional athletes do it to optimize their diet. Obsessing over it and sending your body into starvation mode isnt the way to go for sure but you can't put everything in the same basket.

And yeah, eating good food will be more OPTIMAL for weight loss but you can eat junkfood all day long, if your caloric deficit is there, you will still lose weight. It might be harder and still bad for your health but its still possible.

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 at 12:13 Quote
wen i said scientific i was talking on how the body turns those carbs into sugar not scientific studies, so don't tell me to lay off science cus i haven't slapped any onto your face, and most of those scientific studies are a bunch of baloney. soy lowers testosterone and increases estrogen, I makes men impotent, among many other things even my nutritionist told me to avoid soy. you sent me an article on soy here's mine

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/dangers-of-soy.html

seriously you gotta understand that farming is not what it used to be, most of it is GE, that's why is so bad for you. Oh and i found you a vegetarian that has been "incomodated" by soy, lol, the last review on the link by Tom Whittier, read it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967089751?ie=UTF8&tag=healeatipoli-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0967089751

And you cant compare the calories that are in a fruit and those in the Twinkies, its a Fact that if you eat healthier calories you burn 30% more calories, I'm pretty sure an athlete doesn't eat 1200 calories a day witch is what allot of ppl do to loose weight, I'm pretty dam sure they eat more than recommended because they need it.

Look you do and think what ever you want, i haven't told you "your wrong", if it works for you great! all I'm doing is mentioning what has Worked for me and my wife and friends who saw the results, i lost weight, i have more energy, it got rid of my headaches and my sleep apnea. And for the rest of you seriously watch your carb intake, don't take it from me try it for your selves.

PLC07 wrote:
necronutz wrote:
You mentioned Fat, again yes and no, same as carbs there are good fats and bad fats, most ppl use soybean oil witch is in vegetable oil(soy is extremely bad for males, look it up)

I actually looked it up a while ago and there is no scientific study that actually proves that.

I've read some of the rare independent studies and they all come down to the conclusion that it MAY help in some cases and MAY be detrimental in some other but nothing is set in stone as there are not enough studies... Oh and find me vegetarians/vegans who have been incomodated by soy in any way? That's what I thought. By now we'd know. Lay off the bro science please.

Counting calories can be a good thing. A ton of professional athletes do it to optimize their diet. Obsessing over it and sending your body into starvation mode isnt the way to go for sure but you can't put everything in the same basket.

And yeah, eating good food will be more OPTIMAL for weight loss but you can eat junkfood all day long, if your caloric deficit is there, you will still lose weight. It might be harder and still bad for your health but its still possible.

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 at 12:28 Quote
here read this, another "vegetarians/vegans who have been incomodated by soy"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/vegan-couple-sentenced-life-over-babys-death/

PLC07 wrote:
necronutz wrote:

I've read some of the rare independent studies and they all come down to the conclusion that it MAY help in some cases and MAY be detrimental in some other but nothing is set in stone as there are not enough studies... If you're lazy you can just look up soy on wikipedia, they debunk it there too... Oh and find mey vegetarians/vegans who have been incomodated by soin any way? That's what I thought. By now we'd know. Lay off the bro science please.

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 at 17:53 Quote
I'm sorry but that article only uses bad press as sources, that's nowhere near being objective at all.

As for that book, I can find you a truckload of negative book about any type of food out there. If anything there are many more about meat than soy, or just about anything else you can eat. There again, not objective at all.

And for that link, for a couple who f*cked up there are probably thousands who succeeded. There are neglecting parents doing all kind of stupid stuff to their kids and that's just one example, then again, I think you're hellbent on proving a point without being objective at all.

Do you even know what being objective means? At this point I'm really starting to wonder. I don't want to insult you but you'll have to do a lot better than that to convince anyone.

And yeah, there are first class Ironman, powerlifters, olympic athletes who are vegan/vegetarian and you don't see them looking/performing like horrible cross gender mutations. So your "soy does bad thing to you" argument doesn't convince me. These guys do though when they do just as well if not better than people not eating soy.

I have absolutely nothing against people who eat meat but you're way off with your pseudo arguments. It's cool that what you did worked for you and all... but at a point I lost 10 pounds eating pizza pockets and chicken nuggets while exercising a lot. Surprisingly, it worked. If it works, then it must be good then!

Posted: Aug 12, 2011 at 7:47 Quote
Wow from the beginning you went on the attack, you really wanna turn this into an argument don't you, you told me to find you a vegetarian/vegan who was affected by soy and i did, now it bothers you. You are easily offended, And don't treat me like an idiot of course i know what it means, I'm not saying this because it worked for me im saying it cus its true.
I'm not telling you what to do or what to think or what to eat, just like you I'm just trying to defend my views so chill out, just like i haven't convinced you soy is bad witch I'm not trying to do, you haven't convinced me that its actually good for me. About the book, i don't care about the book, i never told you to read it, i sent you that link so you can read the review on some that was "incomodated by soy" just like you asked me to do, and your taking things out of proportion with you mutations comment, that's just stupid, i don't care what body builders and Olympic athletes do they still take steroids, you cant look like that by just eating veggies, (i know your gonna create an argument on that one lol)

This is starting to look like two religious guys arguing about whose is religion real, like i said if its working for you great! I'm happy for you, keep it up, if you don't like my views fine! no one is forcing you to agree with me, so seriously man don't get offended. And yes i do think you can loose weight eating junk food if you watch your carb intake. Well i can understand y you and many ppl think the way you do, i mean companies like Monsanto don't spend tons of $ on advertising, paying scientists to claim false statements and government to push these lies on pp for nothing, its working. For anyone else, you red it, go on a diet of pizza and nuggets and you'll lose 10 ponds.

PLC07 wrote:
I'm sorry but that article only uses bad press as sources, that's nowhere near being objective at all.

As for that book, I can find you a truckload of negative book about any type of food out there. If anything there are many more about meat than soy, or just about anything else you can eat. There again, not objective at all.

And for that link, for a couple who f*cked up there are probably thousands who succeeded. There are neglecting parents doing all kind of stupid stuff to their kids and that's just one example, then again, I think you're hellbent on proving a point without being objective at all.

Do you even know what being objective means? At this point I'm really starting to wonder. I don't want to insult you but you'll have to do a lot better than that to convince anyone.

And yeah, there are first class Ironman, powerlifters, olympic athletes who are vegan/vegetarian and you don't see them looking/performing like horrible cross gender mutations. So your "soy does bad thing to you" argument doesn't convince me. These guys do though when they do just as well if not better than people not eating soy.

I have absolutely nothing against people who eat meat but you're way off with your pseudo arguments. It's cool that what you did worked for you and all... but at a point I lost 10 pounds eating pizza pockets and chicken nuggets while exercising a lot. Surprisingly, it worked. If it works, then it must be good then!

Posted: Aug 12, 2011 at 8:23 Quote
Read the book "Eat Right For Your Type" by Dr Peter D'Adamo

I use the blood type diet and went from 225 to 183 in 3 months. It also cured my chronic debilitating nauseau and gave me considerably more energy.

Posted: Aug 12, 2011 at 11:00 Quote
necronutz wrote:
You are easily offended,

Yes, you are right, I easily get offended when I see inaccuracies posted as facts and flawed logical reasoning. I'm done wasting my time with this.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018728
Mobile Version of Website