[Post Your Projects] Road, & Fixed Gear

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
[Post Your Projects] Road, & Fixed Gear
Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 12:22 Quote
Bit of a newbie question, but which cog size causes more spin?

I'm running 46:18t right now and it's hard on my legs, and I want a freewheel cog with a little more spin and less pressure on my legs.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 18:54 Quote
Good to see it all came together nicely! You could try a 19t or 20t freewheel if you can find one. The other option would be to run a smaller chainring.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 1:00 Quote
Just the same as the gears on your mountain bike going bigger at the back or smaller on the front will make it an easier gear to push

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 2:06 Quote
Frame done!
Needs a longer stem and bar tape, spds, and to sort the brake

Fixed gear
Reynolds 631
PF30 eccentric BB
12x100 hub spacing front and rear
54 tt 58 St
73 HA 75 SA
390 CS length

Very engaging ride

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 3:05 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Good to see it all came together nicely! You could try a 19t or 20t freewheel if you can find one. The other option would be to run a smaller chainring.

Thank you. I'll look into a bigger freewheel and see if that makes a difference.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 4:12 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Frame done!
Needs a longer stem and bar tape, spds, and to sort the brake

Fixed gear
Reynolds 631
PF30 eccentric BB
12x100 hub spacing front and rear
54 tt 58 St
73 HA 75 SA
390 CS length

Very engaging ride

damn man..! that's a beaut... another one of your builds ?

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
Looks super nimble! Cool to see a bike designed around bullhorn/pursuit bars!

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
Cheers! Yep, frame number #2, started building it in late 2019, finished it a few weeks ago. So nice to finally have it done, was a box of tubes for a very long time!
No work space currently and only vague ideas for frame #3...

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 8:48 Quote
Out of curiosity, did you make any particular changes to the geometry to better suit the bullhorns?

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:39 Quote
Not specifically, geo ideas were based on bikes I have already ridden, but usually with the same bullhorns that are pictured. So indirectly, maybe? The general idea was to feel on top of the cranks in quite a forwards position for attacking climbs, because you don't get up them otherwise.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 21:12 Quote
Oh, sorry I just made that assumption based off the tt length. Traditional road geometry is typically more square, with the st and tt measurements being similar. A lot of modern frames go the other direction with compact geometry having a shorter st and comparatively longer tt.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 3:13 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Not specifically, geo ideas were based on bikes I have already ridden, but usually with the same bullhorns that are pictured. So indirectly, maybe? The general idea was to feel on top of the cranks in quite a forwards position for attacking climbs, because you don't get up them otherwise.

Probably make a wicked hill climb bike, if you're so inclined

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 5:25 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Probably make a wicked hill climb bike, if you're so inclined

That's the inspiration!

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:

I like the way it's set up. I think it would be a fun bike to ride hard.

I chopped up an old set of drop bars for my Allez (the green one in my profile pics) turning them into ghetto bullhorns and rode RAGBRAI XIII in 1985 on them. (53/42 rings driving a 13-19 7-speed). Iowa isn't as flat as people make it out to be. Some climbs were punchy but for the most part they were just extremely looooooong. They could suck the life out of ya.

540 miles that week on bullhorns.

People thought I was nuts but it was actually incredibly comfortable, fast on the flats, and made humping out punchy climbs a non-issue. Of course I was in shape back then too Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010625
Mobile Version of Website