Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 10:17 Quote
if the lifelines cost 6 times as much would you buy them?

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 21:57 Quote
Thoughts on Hie Wheels? I am thinking of buying the LL50/60 Wheelset to put on my Specialized Allez. Would like to hear people's opinion who have own a pair.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 6:05 Quote
POWLEO wrote:

If SwissStop's logo was a swastika would you buy them?

These are pointless questions.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
dingus wrote:
POWLEO wrote:

Except it wasn't a pointless question... it speaks to performance. Is the sole reason they're being suggested because there cheap? Or if costs were equal would you still consider using them?

And yes, if SwissStop's logo was the symbol for power, luck, and well-being I would still use them.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2017 at 19:10 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
dingus wrote:
POWLEO wrote:

Except it wasn't a pointless question... it speaks to performance. Is the sole reason they're being suggested because there cheap? Or if costs were equal would you still consider using them?

And yes, if SwissStop's logo was the symbol for power, luck, and well-being I would still use them.

I don't know if the original question was directed at me, but if it was, then yes, I suggested the lifelines mostly because of cost, and that they performed great. If they cost the same as the Swiss stops, I would not buy them. I thought that would have been obvious but maybe not. I was suggesting a low cost alternative to those interested.

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 3:57 Quote
hahaa no that was aimed at those saying they wouldn't buy them because they were cheap!

Turns out they are rumored to be made in the same factory as reynolds pads not swisstops!

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 10:15 Quote
Reynolds pads stop like shit compared to SwissStop.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 6:47 Quote
POWLEO wrote:
hahaa no that was aimed at those saying they wouldn't buy them because they were cheap!

Turns out they are rumored to be made in the same factory as reynolds pads not swisstops!

If they were excellent for the price, yea I would buy them. But obviously they are good but not excellent. I prefer to pay 30$ for excellent pads then buying good pad for 10$.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:39 Quote
tonnydangle wrote:
POWLEO wrote:

If they were excellent for the price, yea I would buy them. But obviously they are good but not excellent. I prefer to pay 30$ for excellent pads then buying good pad for 10$.

That is what has taken 3 pages of this forum to conclude.

And to drag things out even longer, it's $26 vs. $3. Not $30 vs. $10.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:44 Quote
So to conclude.

Lifeline pads: Good performance, Great value.

Swisstop: Great performance, not so great value.

Personal preference: if you want the best performance or best value?

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 23:25 Quote
Anybody have experience with Regal Bicycles? https://www.regalbicycles.com/collections/bicycles-1

I realize they're cheap, and as such probably aren't great quality. I'm just looking at something to use as a budget commuter, and the used market here is pretty well non-existent.

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 9:20 Quote
Ben-S wrote:
Anybody have experience with Regal Bicycles? https://www.regalbicycles.com/collections/bicycles-1

I realize they're cheap, and as such probably aren't great quality. I'm just looking at something to use as a budget commuter, and the used market here is pretty well non-existent.

I checked them out at the Toronto Bike Show a couple of years ago and was not impressed. They look nice, but they're cheap, catalogue bikes with really shitty components. They're also hi-ten frames. You can do a lot better for the same amount of money (or only slightly more).

I know Brodie is not really a "sexy" company, but they make good quality bikes at a good price. If you're looking for a flat bar single speed, this one is pretty good for the money:
http://www.brodiebikes.com/2017/bikes/remus_flat.php

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 10:02 Quote
smike wrote:
Ben-S wrote:

I checked them out at the Toronto Bike Show a couple of years ago and was not impressed. They look nice, but they're cheap, catalogue bikes with really shitty components. They're also hi-ten frames. You can do a lot better for the same amount of money (or only slightly more).

I know Brodie is not really a "sexy" company, but they make good quality bikes at a good price. If you're looking for a flat bar single speed, this one is pretty good for the money:
http://www.brodiebikes.com/2017/bikes/remus_flat.php

Agreed 100%. The remus flat (or drop) is a wonderful machine with solid, modern parts, and will be built by a shop... which, unless you pay a shop to do it (and then you're getting even closer in price), those regals won't be.

Plus they're better looking.

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 12:05 Quote
Awesome, thanks. My LBS happens to be a Brodie dealer so I'll have to pop in and ask about pricing

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014157
Mobile Version of Website