Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Dec 31, 2017 at 10:58 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Hey guys I'm planning the next build...looking for input/suggestions on 700x28 tubeless road tires. Thus far the top contenders are the Schwalbe Pro One and the Hutchison Sector 28. Will be used with rim brakes, 190 pound rider, no crazy descents, and strictly on-road.

i guess i would only ask why you want to go tubeless? i run tubeless on my MTBs and CX bikes but won't touch them near road, too much of a hassle due to the pressures involved.

Posted: Dec 31, 2017 at 11:19 Quote
Having swapped over to tubeless on my gravel bike (which sees more commuting use than anything) I was pretty impressed at how much faster and smoother the bike felt, every other component (including rims and tires) held constant. So I want to bring that to the road bike as well. The other portion of it is curiosity, and the desire for some first-hand experience when people ask me about it at work.

On my last road bike I found myself running around 70PSI with 25mm tires on narrow rims, so I'm hoping that with wider tires, wider rims, no tubes my pressures will be low enough to avoid pressure-related blowouts.

I appreciate all of the feedback though, warnings included.

Here's that last road bike, just for the sake of something to look at
photo

Posted: Dec 31, 2017 at 12:21 Quote
That is fit as f*ck. I have a thing for retro steel.

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 9:46 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Having swapped over to tubeless on my gravel bike (which sees more commuting use than anything) I was pretty impressed at how much faster and smoother the bike felt, every other component (including rims and tires) held constant. So I want to bring that to the road bike as well. The other portion of it is curiosity, and the desire for some first-hand experience when people ask me about it at work.

On my last road bike I found myself running around 70PSI with 25mm tires on narrow rims, so I'm hoping that with wider tires, wider rims, no tubes my pressures will be low enough to avoid pressure-related blowouts.

I appreciate all of the feedback though, warnings included.

Here's that last road bike, just for the sake of something to look at
photo

absolutely love the feel of tubeless on my CX bikes, which i also use for commuting. Big difference in a 32c+ tire vs a 25mm tire though for pressures. I was finding i still needed ~88-90psi with tubeless on the road for racing, and that the tires/rim fit was just SUCH a pain to deal with. I dont know if it was just the fact I didn't have a well matched tire/rim combo but I damn near gave up with a pair on carbon rims because i could not get them on no matter what trick in the book i tried.

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 15:47 Quote
Is there anything decent/comfortable that you can wear under bib shorts for some extra warmth on cold days or are you better off getting some warmer shorts/tights? I've got some leg warmers that are plenty warm but my groin region gets pretty flipping chilly.

Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 17:27 Quote
Thermal bib man.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2018 at 17:31 Quote
dingus wrote:
Is there anything decent/comfortable that you can wear under bib shorts for some extra warmth on cold days or are you better off getting some warmer shorts/tights? I've got some leg warmers that are plenty warm but my groin region gets pretty flipping chilly.

I find a cheaper way to do it is thermal tights over your regular bibs. Anything with a chamois is expensive. So just adding warmth over the chamois you already own keeps costs down.

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
smike wrote:
dingus wrote:

I find a cheaper way to do it is thermal tights over your regular bibs. Anything with a chamois is expensive. So just adding warmth over the chamois you already own keeps costs down.

Yeah, and never wear anything between chamois bibs and skin, that is just asking for all kinds of bad to happen.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 16:59 Quote
Looking for some opinions or advice on a set of road wheels for my CX bike. Any decent prebuilt wheelsets available online in 15x100 front and 12x142 rear?

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 6:52 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Looking for some opinions or advice on a set of road wheels for my CX bike. Any decent prebuilt wheelsets available online in 15x100 front and 12x142 rear?

Thanks!

Hope.

20five - centerlock options, multiple colours, easy servicing, quick engagement etc!

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 14:19 Quote
ryanme wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Thanks!

Hope.

20five - centerlock options, multiple colours, easy servicing, quick engagement etc!

I'd second that...

Or stan's iron cross or grail wheelsets...

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 8:01 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
What are your collective thoughts on the 2018 Giant TCX Advanced SX as a do it all gravel, cross, and road bike? I know the wheels are very heavy but beyond that. Any opinions? If not that bike, is there cross bike out there that can be ridden somewhat comfortably on longer road rides?

thanks!

It'll manage gravel and cross fine it's what it is made for. Honestly you can adjust the geo more aggressive if req'd but you should be fine. The 1x setups are getting better for road use, and while not perfect with the apex 11spd just due to the larger gaps in gearing than a typical road setup, it'll get the job done.

I don't think it is the gaps in 1x which bother most riders. It is the loss of your high end speed or your low end climbing. You can't have both with 1x.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 8:42 Quote
johnny4 wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
What are your collective thoughts on the 2018 Giant TCX Advanced SX as a do it all gravel, cross, and road bike? I know the wheels are very heavy but beyond that. Any opinions? If not that bike, is there cross bike out there that can be ridden somewhat comfortably on longer road rides?

thanks!

It'll manage gravel and cross fine it's what it is made for. Honestly you can adjust the geo more aggressive if req'd but you should be fine. The 1x setups are getting better for road use, and while not perfect with the apex 11spd just due to the larger gaps in gearing than a typical road setup, it'll get the job done.

I don't think it is the gaps in 1x which bother most riders. It is the loss of your high end speed or your low end climbing. You can't have both with 1x.

If you were to run a 1x with a 52t ring and 11-42 cassette, your high gear would remain the same and the low gear would be equivalent to a 34x28 (compact) low gear - which is pretty low. So it's doable...

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 10:21 Quote
smike wrote:
johnny4 wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

If you were to run a 1x with a 52t ring and 11-42 cassette, your high gear would remain the same and the low gear would be equivalent to a 34x28 (compact) low gear - which is pretty low. So it's doable...

I run a 48 tooth narrow wide ring and 11-32 10spd on my commuter here in Miami and have no issues with top speed or climbing (obviously). I feel like the high end isn't an issue with 1x setups but climbing will always be more difficult. I really like my 1x setup for commuting

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 10:36 Quote
because around me is pretty rolly as far as the terain goes im always searching for the right gear. i had a rather aggressively wide range 1x set up tho

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014258
Mobile Version of Website