Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 13:53 Quote
Work in progress, nearly done:

Wheels arrive next week, then I just need some brake pads, a headset plug, and a front derailleur braze on adapter. I decided to order up a set of 28c Schwalbe Pro One tires, fingers crossed that whole thing works. My plan is to build it up and figure out the fit in the early spring then once the spec is finalized, paint the frameset.

Needed flared drops obviously

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 at 19:17 Quote
johnny4 wrote:
RONDAL wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
What are your collective thoughts on the 2018 Giant TCX Advanced SX as a do it all gravel, cross, and road bike? I know the wheels are very heavy but beyond that. Any opinions? If not that bike, is there cross bike out there that can be ridden somewhat comfortably on longer road rides?

thanks!

It'll manage gravel and cross fine it's what it is made for. Honestly you can adjust the geo more aggressive if req'd but you should be fine. The 1x setups are getting better for road use, and while not perfect with the apex 11spd just due to the larger gaps in gearing than a typical road setup, it'll get the job done.

I don't think it is the gaps in 1x which bother most riders. It is the loss of your high end speed or your low end climbing. You can't have both with 1x.

Completely depends on your cassette choice. As others have stated, you can have the range, but you get the gaps. Or to your point, you can lose the gaps, but also lose the range in a certain direction. You can't have it all....

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 1:46 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
johnny4 wrote:
RONDAL wrote:

It'll manage gravel and cross fine it's what it is made for. Honestly you can adjust the geo more aggressive if req'd but you should be fine. The 1x setups are getting better for road use, and while not perfect with the apex 11spd just due to the larger gaps in gearing than a typical road setup, it'll get the job done.

I don't think it is the gaps in 1x which bother most riders. It is the loss of your high end speed or your low end climbing. You can't have both with 1x.

Completely depends on your cassette choice. As others have stated, you can have the range, but you get the gaps. Or to your point, you can lose the gaps, but also lose the range in a certain direction. You can't have it all....

I m using 40x 11-40, climbing is fine, but I sit in the smallest 3 sprockets for most of the road miles so wear out my cassette lowers quickly. Thinking of converting back to a double something like 32/48 praxis works with 11-31 - im also running a genevalle burd mech with wolf tooth dropout extender and would be able to use just a gs mech. just wish Shimano would pull their finger out with a CX mech. - i refuse to run a pull adapter and Sram brakes suck ass so badly compared to my shimanos otherwise id use a sram drive.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 18:06 Quote
Question about gearing...

Currently I have road/touring/cross rig that I use for commuting and gravel rides. It has stock 10spd Tiagra crankset 50-34 upfront with a 12-30t cassette. Lately I've been riding more offroad with steeper climbs and pretty much feel maxed out going uphill. What would be a relatively straightforward and inexpensive swap? I've also been contemplating a 1x setup...is this possible with Tiagra and/or worth a conversion?

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 18:29 Quote
senoralex wrote:
Question about gearing...

Currently I have road/touring/cross rig that I use for commuting and gravel rides. It has stock 10spd Tiagra crankset 50-34 upfront with a 12-30t cassette. Lately I've been riding more offroad with steeper climbs and pretty much feel maxed out going uphill. What would be a relatively straightforward and inexpensive swap? I've also been contemplating a 1x setup...is this possible with Tiagra and/or worth a conversion?
I did not think too much of my 1x conversion. It was too expensive yielded a smaller gear range and SRAM shifters are not my favorite. That said a 10spd sram shifter is compatible with their mtn derailleurs. As well you can run the new force1 rival1 derailleurs with the 10spd setup all of which can allow you to run 42t cassettes. You can run shimano mtn deraileurs with sti shifters upto 9spd which can get you a 34t cassette (although i think sunrace is making several silly 40t plus 9spd cassettes). For a cheapish fix i'd get an 11-36 cassette and a goat link or other similar extender. This will give you a lot of low end gearing and should only cost $35 for a cassette and $10-15 for the goat link or even cheaper for some knock off copies.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 at 23:49 Quote
I've run the pull adaptor with zero problems myself. And with the inline model you can hide it pretty well.

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
So, still on the hunt for an affordable/cheap roadie ..($500-$700)

This was posted locally today...a Marinoni..guy is asking $550

Yay or neigh? From a quick search, they seem like a decent brand. the Campy parts is what caught my eye, though I imagine it'll be low tier Campy.

Don't know the year of it...frame is a Medium.

From ad disc:

Marinoni Ciclo
Size medium
Frame made from Columbus tubing
Campagnolo components
Triple chain ring
New rear derailleur

Posted: Jan 16, 2018 at 15:49 Quote
They're a good brand. They're made in Quebec and they have a fairly long history. They do both stock frames and custom frames (as well as distributing a whole shitload of European components and framebuilding materials), so that picture and description doesn't really tell you a whole lot about what the bike IS. However it's definitely high quality and it was probably a pretty good bike to begin with.

If it fits and there's nothing obviously wrong, buy it. Bear in mind that Campy service items will be a bit harder to find than Shimano or SRAM and prepare accordingly.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 5:39 Quote
Good frame. I’d buy it if it fits. No other bike is going to have a better frame at that price point. It won’t be “light” but it will be strong and smooth, and won’t go out of fashion.

Just be aware that the Campy triple is never going to be a great setup. It will always rub in some unexplainable way- but f*ck it, it’s not going to hold you back.

I would just ride it until something goes wrong with the campy stuff, and then buy a 105 groupset.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 15:20 Quote
Seller is in Omemee, so 20mins from me about,

I think I'm gonna go for it.

Edit: Campy parts are all Mirage series and RD is Xenon

Posted: Jan 22, 2018 at 20:29 Quote
Marinoni is a no go, bit too big for me at 56cm....needing more of a 52cm frame.

So the hunt continues.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 18:05 Quote
So I'm looking at adding some steel fenders I have to my commuter, although it's got track dropouts, so I'm unsure of How I could mount the rear fender without needing to remove it every time I remove the rear wheel. Not that I remove it that often but...

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 18:06 Quote

Your LBS has these. I don't know what they're actually called, but your LBS definitely has these and now you know what they look like.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 20:18 Quote
crs-one wrote:

Your LBS has these. I don't know what they're actually called, but your LBS definitely has these and now you know what they look like.

Yea, was probably gonna get those...But I was more talking about wheel removal. if I mount it how it's supposed to, I won't be able to remove the wheel without taking the fender off before hand, which would involve removing the rear brake as well, since it's one of the 3 mounting points. (drop outs/seatstays, brake and just behind the BB on the chainstays)

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
Yeah, idk man. There isn’t really a solution, other than just find a way to mount it that is easy to undo.
Other than mounting it super loose at the back end... which looks wack.

Changing the wheel out on a bike with chain tugs and everything is already a hassle, what is 2 bolts at that point?

If it really bothers you, just get one of those plastic clamp on fenders

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022625
Mobile Version of Website