Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
O+
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 6:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Fit and components are far more important than frame material. If you can afford carbon it's nice but don't make it a priority if money is a concern.
Disagree about components... fit is, or should be, a given when buying a new bike. As far as components, you can upgrade those over time a hell of a lot more easily than the frame.

You're not getting a good quality carbon frame too often with shit components. You're getting a low end carbon frame designed to hit a price point. Getting your feet wet and finding out if you enjoy road cycling is way more important. Few things are less enjoyable than low end components on a road bike. You sir are wrong.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 11:10 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Fit and components are far more important than frame material. If you can afford carbon it's nice but don't make it a priority if money is a concern.
Disagree about components... fit is, or should be, a given when buying a new bike. As far as components, you can upgrade those over time a hell of a lot more easily than the frame.

You're not getting a good quality carbon frame too often with shit components. You're getting a low end carbon frame designed to hit a price point. Getting your feet wet and finding out if you enjoy road cycling is way more important. Few things are less enjoyable than low end components on a road bike. You sir are wrong.
False... I've personally purchases two excellent frames that came with low end components on them and my most recent bike could've been had with 105 instead of Dura Ace if I'd elected to do so. Similarly... this years 105 performs better than Dura Ace did 10 years ago so the whole component argument is bullshit. Components are more easily replacemeable and more readily become outdated... buy the frame you want, you can swap components for the next 10 years on that frame but you can bet you won't be holding on to your Dura Ace for the next decade taking it from frame to frame.

Before you try and tell someone they're wrong, try and have a clue what you're actually talking about.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 16:54 Quote
Haha.

True story. 105 is awesome

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 19:18 Quote
Even speaking with the shimano reps themselves, unless you are getting dura-ace on a pro deal there is no reason to buy it over ultegra. the weight savings are not large enough to justify the cost especially if you are racing and already have to deal with minimum weight limits, and the quality and tech is far above what most could decipher a difference from.
step down to 105 and even at that level it is far and away better than where DA was even 5 years ago for a fraction of the price.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 20:48 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

False... I've personally purchases two excellent frames that came with low end components on them and my most recent bike could've been had with 105 instead of Dura Ace if I'd elected to do so. Similarly... this years 105 performs better than Dura Ace did 10 years ago so the whole component argument is bullshit. Components are more easily replacemeable and more readily become outdated... buy the frame you want, you can swap components for the next 10 years on that frame but you can bet you won't be holding on to your Dura Ace for the next decade taking it from frame to frame.

Before you try and tell someone they're wrong, try and have a clue what you're actually talking about.

If you would stop spouting off for a moment you may realize I never said anything about 105. I like 105 and rode a bike for a few years with it. I'm saying that bike shops are full of low end price point carbon bikes with Tiagra on them that look cool but are a disappointment to ride. If you're looking for your first road bike and don't want to dive right into the deep end your money is better spent on higher end components, whether it be on an aluminum frame or an older carbon one. Road cycling is full of posers selling their bikes off constantly because they think they need the best to hang at the coffee shop. Those can be had for a steal once you know what and if you like it. Now go back under your bridge.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

If you would stop spouting off for a moment you may realize I never said anything about 105. I like 105 and rode a bike for a few years with it. I'm saying that bike shops are full of low end price point carbon bikes with Tiagra on them that look cool but are a disappointment to ride. If you're looking for your first road bike and don't want to dive right into the deep end your money is better spent on higher end components, whether it be on an aluminum frame or an older carbon one. Road cycling is full of posers selling their bikes off constantly because they think they need the best to hang at the coffee shop. Those can be had for a steal once you know what and if you like it. Now go back under your bridge.

If you have never ridden a road bike before, and are an entry level cyclist, I don't think you would find tiagra to be of such a low quality that it would comprises the ride...

But you are spot on about there being a great selection of awesome used road bikes out there... road bike hold up very well over time, and like you say.. some people buy amazing bikes before they realize that cant even push the gears.. lol.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 21:31 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
How do you use so many words yet say nothing even remotely useful.

Frames last, components don't. Frames are expensive, components aren't. Frames dictate the handling and performance characteristics of your bike, components don't. New or used isn't relevant, this remains true.

Frame first, always... unless you're a 40 year-old shitbird from Chilliwack who doesn't know what the f*ck he's talking about.

Now, unless you want to be the first person to get added to the bans list for this thread. Either say something intelligent and useful or just shut the f*ck up.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 22:16 Quote
Why must you puff your pathetic little chest? Didn't I tell you to go back under your bridge? Trolls like you love to run your mouth and make bold statements but again you're just spouting off and being a dick.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 22:33 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Why must you puff your pathetic little chest? Didn't I tell you to go back under your bridge? Trolls like you love to run your mouth and make bold statements but again you're just spouting off and being a dick.
Yeah, you did say something about a bridge but the sheer banality of it made me ignore it. No chest puffing cupcake, just stating facts while you keep crying like the sorry little bitch you are. Really though, we both know that if I was actually a dick you'd be trying to stuff me into your mouth so why don't you back off the hyperbolic emotional outbursts, pull your head out of your ass, and say something worthwhile.

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 0:32 Quote
So.... Should this guy look for a Carbon frame or not?

lol lol lol

O+
Posted: May 18, 2018 at 5:41 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Yeah, you did say something about a bridge but the sheer banality of it made me ignore it. No chest puffing cupcake, just stating facts while you keep crying like the sorry little bitch you are. Really though, we both know that if I was actually a dick you'd be trying to stuff me into your mouth so why don't you back off the hyperbolic emotional outbursts, pull your head out of your ass, and say something worthwhile.

Is your life so sad that you have to be so angry at strangers online? I see you live near Camp Pendleton. I assume this is your way of getting back at those Marines who you blow. But hey, a guys gotta make a living.

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 8:10 Quote
Ya know , There really is no reason keep these salvos going... points were made, laughs were had.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Ya know , There really is no reason keep these salvos going... points were made, laughs were had.

I don't know that too many points were made but laughs were had for sure. I'm sure they original poster has a lot of clarity on what to buy now.

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
I'm saying that bike shops are full of low end price point carbon bikes with Tiagra on them that look cool but are a disappointment to ride.

My first road bike was 8 years old when I got it with the original tiagra kit on it (hadn't been used much) and I never once felt dissatisfied with the equipment. I had plenty of fun on it and it got me into road biking which I previously had thought wouldn't be for me.

Maybe if you've spent some time on higher end kit the cheaper kit won't feel that great but I can't image many people have tried road cycling and sacked it off because they started on Sora/Tiagra level gear and not Ultegra.

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 11:34 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
So.... Should this guy look for a Carbon frame or not?

lol lol lol
lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014194
Mobile Version of Website