Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: May 18, 2018 at 11:41 Quote
dingus wrote:
Maybe if you've spent some time on higher end kit the cheaper kit won't feel that great but I can't image many people have tried road cycling and sacked it off because they started on Sora/Tiagra level gear and not Ultegra.
Bingo... no one ever quit on road biking because they were riding low end components.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of cyclists followed that same path and had no idea how shitty the components on our first bikes were until we got second bikes with better kit...

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 16:59 Quote
dingus wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
I'm saying that bike shops are full of low end price point carbon bikes with Tiagra on them that look cool but are a disappointment to ride.

My first road bike was 8 years old when I got it with the original tiagra kit on it (hadn't been used much) and I never once felt dissatisfied with the equipment. I had plenty of fun on it and it got me into road biking which I previously had thought wouldn't be for me.

Maybe if you've spent some time on higher end kit the cheaper kit won't feel that great but I can't image many people have tried road cycling and sacked it off because they started on Sora/Tiagra level gear and not Ultegra.

Same. My 2012 Allez Elite has Tiagra 4600 and I'm really enjoying it. No complaints from me on it. My only other experience with road was an old 80s road bike I had with Shimano 600 DT shifters and Campy Super Record Brake set.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2018 at 19:33 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
dingus wrote:
Bingo... no one ever quit on road biking because they were riding low end components.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of cyclists followed that same path and had no idea how shitty the components on our first bikes were until we got second bikes with better kit...

No one quit based in low end components but lots wish they put more thought into their first purchase.

I'm out! It's the long weekend here so I have camping to do and beers to enjoy. I would be interested in what the original fellow buys.

Posted: May 19, 2018 at 20:33 Quote
Friend just got a sora level kona rove. Thing rips. Low end drivetrains are very good these days.

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:42 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Why must you puff your pathetic little chest? Didn't I tell you to go back under your bridge? Trolls like you love to run your mouth and make bold statements but again you're just spouting off and being a dick.
Yeah, you did say something about a bridge but the sheer banality of it made me ignore it. No chest puffing cupcake, just stating facts while you keep crying like the sorry little bitch you are. Really though, we both know that if I was actually a dick you'd be trying to stuff me into your mouth so why don't you back off the hyperbolic emotional outbursts, pull your head out of your ass, and say something worthwhile.

lead by example if you're going to throw the ban-hammer threat around.

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 10:56 Quote
RONDAL wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Why must you puff your pathetic little chest? Didn't I tell you to go back under your bridge? Trolls like you love to run your mouth and make bold statements but again you're just spouting off and being a dick.
Yeah, you did say something about a bridge but the sheer banality of it made me ignore it. No chest puffing cupcake, just stating facts while you keep crying like the sorry little bitch you are. Really though, we both know that if I was actually a dick you'd be trying to stuff me into your mouth so why don't you back off the hyperbolic emotional outbursts, pull your head out of your ass, and say something worthwhile.

lead by example if you're going to throw the ban-hammer threat around.
Did that sound witty or intelligent in your shitty little brain or were you so caught up in emotions from the royal wedding that you teared up, melted down, and hit post before you realized no one gives a f*ck?

If you want me to set an example, you can be first... that's fine with me. But, in any case, you uselessly ignorant twats aren't going to be shitting up an informative thread with your weapons grade retardation... so take it somewhere else, shut the f*ck up, or get banned.

Simple rules, don't be stupid or, if you're unable to not be stupid, keep quiet. I know that's a tough order for kids like you but good rules to follow.

Posted: May 20, 2018 at 19:55 Quote
Ban-hammer is pretty funny... I am probably going to use that.

Lolz.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 13:47 Quote
Anyone used Continental Ultra Sport tyres? They're 1/3rd of the price of the 'Grand Prix 4000s II's that I've been using, wondering if they're 1/3rd as good or if they're decent.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 15:37 Quote
dingus wrote:
Anyone used Continental Ultra Sport tyres? They're 1/3rd of the price of the 'Grand Prix 4000s II's that I've been using, wondering if they're 1/3rd as good or if they're decent.

Pay the price for the 4000's. The sports are good for commuting, heavier, and I have a set on a spare road bike of mine. If you are getting out for a good road ride the 4000's are definitely better handling. Chain Reaction regularly has their pairs on for a decent price with black chili compound.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 15:41 Quote
stymiecat wrote:
dingus wrote:

Pay the price for the 4000's. The sports are good for commuting, heavier, and I have a set on a spare road bike of mine. If you are getting out for a good road ride the 4000's are definitely better handling. Chain Reaction regularly has their pairs on for a decent price with black chili compound.
+1

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 17:42 Quote
Ultra sports are not supple, at all. They're a decent tire for commuters, less so cyclists.

Posted: Jun 9, 2018 at 13:03 Quote
Good intel, thanks.

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 at 14:07 Quote
get what you pay for. Got a pair of sports since they werent even 10buks a pair. not worth the hassle. Buy GPs look after them and you'll be good

Posted: Jun 10, 2018 at 15:43 Quote
Shoutout to WTB's exposure tires for being super good, on a random note.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 16:21 Quote
HELP! I NEED HELP IDENTIFYING A VINTAGE ROAD BIKE:

Hello my grandfather has a vintage road bike that I need help identifying and possibly assigning a value.

Here is all of the information I gathered from the bike.

•Silve stem marked with NITTO

•Shimmano 105 brake levers

•Shimmano 105 Brakes (Rim brakes)

•It has a 7 by 2 gear ratio

•Front hub is a Shimmano HB-1050

•Clipless pedals

•25 tires

Attached are some pictures of the bike

Google Photos link: http:https//photos.app.goo.gl/DQVxC5TUTAzaGN4h9

If there is any extra information that I have not mentioned feel free to ask.

ALSO
The bike comes with a portable pump trip computer and mini toolkit

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020078
Mobile Version of Website