Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 16:34 Quote
Shoutout to Supacaz as well. Don't have it, a few of my customers are into it.

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 17:28 Quote
I've got some Bontrager Super Tacky on the fixie so no hoods to rely on. Works pretty great, can't complain.

Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 14:20 Quote
Thanks chaps.

Next question, looking for some 35c tyres, was looking at the Continental Cyclocross Speeds but I'm looking to see what other options there are. I'll think I'm likely to be riding maybe 60% tarmac to 40% hardpack dirt roads, so something that rolls well but still grips OK on loose grit. I've seen some of good reviews for the Panaracer Gravel Kings but one said they come up a bit bigger than 35mm which means they won't fit my frame. A friend has Schwalbe G-One All-Rounds so I'll try his bike, anyone else got any other recommendations?

Next next question, I was considering running the tyres tubeless but I kind of like the idea of being able to swap quickly to slicks for when I'm riding 100% on the road (for less rolling resistance and also to save wearing down my other tyres unnecessarily). Just wondering what your opinions were?

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 5:30 Quote
dingus wrote:
Thanks chaps.

Next question, looking for some 35c tyres, was looking at the Continental Cyclocross Speeds but I'm looking to see what other options there are. I'll think I'm likely to be riding maybe 60% tarmac to 40% hardpack dirt roads, so something that rolls well but still grips OK on loose grit. I've seen some of good reviews for the Panaracer Gravel Kings but one said they come up a bit bigger than 35mm which means they won't fit my frame. A friend has Schwalbe G-One All-Rounds so I'll try his bike, anyone else got any other recommendations?

Next next question, I was considering running the tyres tubeless but I kind of like the idea of being able to swap quickly to slicks for when I'm riding 100% on the road (for less rolling resistance and also to save wearing down my other tyres unnecessarily). Just wondering what your opinions were?

given your application, unless you are racing i would not bother with tubeless. its just not worth the hassle for what you are wanting and will make tire changes a PITA and mess.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 10:34 Quote
dingus wrote:
I've seen some of good reviews for the Panaracer Gravel Kings but one said they come up a bit bigger than 35mm which means they won't fit my frame.
Panaracer's site suggests they are true to size up to a 32C (i.e. ETRTO matches labelled size) and then for some reason what they call 35C and 38C actually have ETRTO dimensions of 37x622 and 40x622 respectively.
I put the 38s on a couple of weeks ago and they're definitely similar size to tires that I took off, which are also labelled as 38s with 622x40 ETRTO dimensions, so probably safest to assume they're really a 37.
FWIW I've been very impressed with them so far...
LBS also strongly recommended the G-ones and there was a recommendation in another thread for Hutchinson Overides which also seem to get pretty good reviews, and you can pick them up for less than £30 fairly easily so may be next on my list to try.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 13:48 Quote
Looking for suggestions for a 16h front hub. Scored a 16h 55mm carbon rim from ebay and can't find much I could lace it up to. Going to go on my fixed gear when it's not being used for commuting.
Options I can find are:
Planet-x, reduced to £10
Ebay "mr. ride" at £25
Used hope pro 3, £30

PX and ebay options seem a bit skimpy. Hope is cool but no idea how old it is. Where else should I look? Budget is £40 ideally. Not fussed about straight pull or J-bend, either can do.

Also anything to consider while lacing it up? Radial lacing looks dead simple but I've never built with such low spoke counts or with a carbon rim.

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 13:37 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
dingus wrote:
I've seen some of good reviews for the Panaracer Gravel Kings but one said they come up a bit bigger than 35mm which means they won't fit my frame.
Panaracer's site suggests they are true to size up to a 32C (i.e. ETRTO matches labelled size) and then for some reason what they call 35C and 38C actually have ETRTO dimensions of 37x622 and 40x622 respectively.
I put the 38s on a couple of weeks ago and they're definitely similar size to tires that I took off, which are also labelled as 38s with 622x40 ETRTO dimensions, so probably safest to assume they're really a 37.
FWIW I've been very impressed with them so far...
LBS also strongly recommended the G-ones and there was a recommendation in another thread for Hutchinson Overides which also seem to get pretty good reviews, and you can pick them up for less than £30 fairly easily so may be next on my list to try.

Went for Vittoria Terreno Drys in the end. Not got that many miles on them yet but pretty pleased with them, roll pretty quick and seem to grip decent.

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 15:10 Quote
What do you guys wear on windy rides in spring/autumn when kind of a mid temperature? Currently I've got a gilet that's a bit too warm but wind proof. I was thinking a long sleeve windproof jersey might be a good option, but there don't seem to be that many options which has me thinking that maybe they're not the best solution.

Posted: Sep 5, 2018 at 8:34 Quote
dingus wrote:
What do you guys wear on windy rides in spring/autumn when kind of a mid temperature? Currently I've got a gilet that's a bit too warm but wind proof. I was thinking a long sleeve windproof jersey might be a good option, but there don't seem to be that many options which has me thinking that maybe they're not the best solution.
I have a long sleeved pearl izumi jersey that's great but it's really warm, too warm for me to ever really use. Wore it once on a cold rainy day, but not a flat out freezing day, and was totally overheated. Now I have a pearl izumi "pro barrier light" jacket that works perfectly for wind and weather protection without being super hot. Packs up small enough to easily fit in a jersey pocket, weighs practically nothing, and keeps out wind and water like a much heavier shell. Highly recommend.

Posted: Sep 12, 2018 at 17:05 Quote
What are the widest tires that fit on a 2018 specialized roubaix?

Posted: Sep 12, 2018 at 18:11 Quote
goodwater wrote:
What are the widest tires that fit on a 2018 specialized roubaix?
Is it disc or rim brake?

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 at 18:45 Quote
dingus wrote:
What does "mid temperature" mean in degrees?
I've had this one, Sugoi Zero RS Jersey for a few years and use it from 0 -10C depending on base layer. It's got a full zip front, but no zip pockets. I still see them in local stores but not sure about the UK:
https://road.cc/content/review/144512-sugoi-rs-zero-ls-jersey

Posted: Sep 16, 2018 at 18:27 Quote
i've been having really good success with the latest offerings in "thermal" long sleeve jerseys from both garneau and rapha. garneau is our clothing sponsor and supplier of team kit, and their jersey is great down to 0*C. Simply throw a sleeveless base layer under there and it seems to have the perfect blend between not overheating and sweating but cutting down the wind.
Yesterday I raced a 140km road race with that and a garneau "holy vest" over top of it just to cut down the early morning rain that had passed through which created road spray. The vest kept the jersey from getting wet and everything breathed great despite a brutal winter wind out of the north.
Rapha does their training jersey which is similar, though double the price. front has wind stopper material and back is made to vent heat.

Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 21:09 Quote
Can anyone suggest a bar tape that has a decent vibration dampening? I have a set of aluminum Salsa Cowbell bars on my CX / gravel bike and would like to take a bit more of the buzz out. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 21:36 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Can anyone suggest a bar tape that has a decent vibration dampening? I have a set of aluminum Salsa Cowbell bars on my CX / gravel bike and would like to take a bit more of the buzz out. Thanks!
Lizard skin DSP is usually best tape

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012813
Mobile Version of Website