Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Sep 19, 2018 at 22:01 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Can anyone suggest a bar tape that has a decent vibration dampening? I have a set of aluminum Salsa Cowbell bars on my CX / gravel bike and would like to take a bit more of the buzz out. Thanks!
Double wrap... or buy some of those under tape elastomer pads, they make a surprising amount of difference.

And +1 for DSP... very rubbery, great vibration damping.

Posted: Sep 20, 2018 at 4:52 Quote
+1 for elastomer/gel pads. Makes quite a difference and personally I prefer a fatter grip/bar feel.

Posted: Sep 25, 2018 at 9:23 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Can anyone suggest a bar tape that has a decent vibration dampening? I have a set of aluminum Salsa Cowbell bars on my CX / gravel bike and would like to take a bit more of the buzz out. Thanks!
Double wrap... or buy some of those under tape elastomer pads, they make a surprising amount of difference.

And +1 for DSP... very rubbery, great vibration damping.

Thanks for the good advice! I followed this and it has been quite successful as well:

http://5metresofdevelopment.blogspot.com/2011/03/redux-taping-padding-flared-drop-bars.html

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
Hi all Smile

My mate through together this for me 1st road bike of sorts
Any ideas how I can improve it? Currently have a Tiagra 2 ring chainset and some pedals on the way

Frame: Lapierre Wood
Seat Clamp: Unknown
Seat: Kappa Prologo?
Seat Post: Lapierre
Fork: Unknown with an R on
Rims: Mavic A317 Disc
Front Hub: Shimano HB M475
Rear Hub: Shimano FH M475
Tyres: Sensamo Firenze 28x 1 5/8 x 1 1/4
Tubes: Unknown
Brakes: Avid BB5 Bolids?
Stem: 836 sq lab?
Bars: Unknown
Headset: VP A51A
Bartape: Unknown
Shifters: Tiagra 10spd Double
Front Mech: Deore
Crankset: Deore 3 ring
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Unknown Wellgos
Chain: Unknown
Cassette: Shimano 10Spd 12-28
Bottle Holder: Revolution

Posted: Jan 14, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
@potato22 Interesting. I noticed the stem immediately as well. Obviously I have no way of knowing how the bike fits you personally, but a more standard stem with minimal to zero rise would look far more appropriate.

And while I'm not a good example of this, most people prefer to run foot retention/clipless pedals for the added power efficiency.

Rotational weight is the area where weight affects the bike the most, (aka tires/tubes/rims). Obviously wheels are far more expensive to replace... but tires and tubes are more reasonable. If you can save significant weight on those and still run something reliable, it will improve the ride. I don't know anything about your tires, so that would be a research point for you. I personally love the Vittoria Rubino Pro's. They are a very acceptable weight, but still reliable and in my experience ride well in all conditions. When I first got my road bike, I found that someone had put an insanely thick and heavy tube in the back tire, so replacing that with a standard tube alone saved me almost 200g of rotational weight.

Other than that, just switch it out to a 2x drivetrain like you have already planned, and see how the bike feels and fits you. Ultimately you just want the bike to be a comfortable ride for you.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
Philitup wrote:
@potato22 Interesting. I noticed the stem immediately as well. Obviously I have no way of knowing how the bike fits you personally, but a more standard stem with minimal to zero rise would look far more appropriate.

And while I'm not a good example of this, most people prefer to run foot retention/clipless pedals for the added power efficiency.

Rotational weight is the area where weight affects the bike the most, (aka tires/tubes/rims). Obviously wheels are far more expensive to replace... but tires and tubes are more reasonable. If you can save significant weight on those and still run something reliable, it will improve the ride. I don't know anything about your tires, so that would be a research point for you. I personally love the Vittoria Rubino Pro's. They are a very acceptable weight, but still reliable and in my experience ride well in all conditions. When I first got my road bike, I found that someone had put an insanely thick and heavy tube in the back tire, so replacing that with a standard tube alone saved me almost 200g of rotational weight.

Other than that, just switch it out to a 2x drivetrain like you have already planned, and see how the bike feels and fits you. Ultimately you just want the bike to be a comfortable ride for you.

Thanks have ordered some Specialized Roubaix Pros in 25/28c which should drop total rotational weight by about 600/620g Big Grin
Will a 25c tube work best with them or?

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
potato22 wrote:
Philitup wrote:

Thanks have ordered some Specialized Roubaix Pros in 25/28c which should drop total rotational weight by about 600/620g Big Grin

That tube size will be perfect.

Beyond making that tire swap, I would focus on getting the fit dialed in so that you are comfortable. Find a good position by adjusting saddle and bar position and perhaps the stem length and angle if needed. This can be a complex process, so the help of a good shop can be useful if you’re running into discomfort.

If you’re feeling good, get a decent pair of shorts and just ride that thing! The build (especially those wheels) is pretty bombproof... if not particularly svelte. If you find yourself getting into the sport, start saving up for a nice 105 or Rival complete as you’ll get way better value that way when you are ready.

Enjoy it!

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
Quinn-39 wrote:
potato22 wrote:
Philitup wrote:

That tube size will be perfect.

Beyond making that tire swap, I would focus on getting the fit dialed in so that you are comfortable. Find a good position by adjusting saddle and bar position and perhaps the stem length and angle if needed. This can be a complex process, so the help of a good shop can be useful if you’re running into discomfort.

If you’re feeling good, get a decent pair of shorts and just ride that thing! The build (especially those wheels) is pretty bombproof... if not particularly svelte. If you find yourself getting into the sport, start saving up for a nice 105 or Rival complete as you’ll get way better value that way when you are ready.

Enjoy it!

Keep having major issues with the back wheel spokes loosening up any ideas why this might be? Dodgy nipples? Confused

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 4:29 Quote
Best disc wheelset for around £200?

Posted: Mar 21, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
Have a look at these, you can get £90 off during March with the code 'upgrade'. They should be pretty decent, good weight and superstar are normally decent quality.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arc-ultra--disc-v6-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 4:43 Quote
dingus wrote:
Have a look at these, you can get £90 off during March with the code 'upgrade'. They should be pretty decent, good weight and superstar are normally decent quality.

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arc-ultra--disc-v6-wheelset-uk-made-hubs.htm

Thanks Dingus Big Grin

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 9:56 Quote
Hello All,

Looking into getting in the road bikes and have an opportunity to pick up full carbon Scott CR1 for reasonable price.
Any feedback on the bike or anything I should look for when I see bike ?

Also carbon or aluminium ? I can get brand new Specialized Alley for about same price

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 13:04 Quote
euua wrote:
Hello All,

Looking into getting in the road bikes and have an opportunity to pick up full carbon Scott CR1 for reasonable price.
Any feedback on the bike or anything I should look for when I see bike ?

Also carbon or aluminium ? I can get brand new Specialized Alley for about same price
What year? Not a huge fan of the older CR1 frame but the newer is a great bike with some comfort features and a very respectable weight/stiffness.

Posted: Mar 27, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
Looking for a new bike to commute to work on. 15 km each way and I live in rainy country so I am thinking disc brakes and a flat bar for a more upright position. Also want it to accommodate fenders and possibly a rear rack There is a deal on a Giant Rapid 1 at my LBS ( 2018 ) for $950 CAD. Tiagra 10spd. Looks ideal for my needs. Thoughts on this bike?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015164
Mobile Version of Website