Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
Looks fine for your needs. If you're locking it up outside, just make sure to invest in locking skewers/seatpost clamp.

troyhague wrote:
Looking for a new bike to commute to work on. 15 km each way and I live in rainy country so I am thinking disc brakes and a flat bar for a more upright position. Also want it to accommodate fenders and possibly a rear rack There is a deal on a Giant Rapid 1 at my LBS ( 2018 ) for $950 CAD. Tiagra 10spd. Looks ideal for my needs. Thoughts on this bike?

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 10:09 Quote
smike wrote:
Looks fine for your needs. If you're locking it up outside, just make sure to invest in locking skewers/seatpost clamp.

troyhague wrote:
Looking for a new bike to commute to work on. 15 km each way and I live in rainy country so I am thinking disc brakes and a flat bar for a more upright position. Also want it to accommodate fenders and possibly a rear rack There is a deal on a Giant Rapid 1 at my LBS ( 2018 ) for $950 CAD. Tiagra 10spd. Looks ideal for my needs. Thoughts on this bike?

Won't be locking it outside. I work in the bike theft capital of Canada. No lock would secure my bike down here.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
I got a road question. Our city used our taxes to build road biker lanes on some roads that yall like to use and everyone who they were built for doesn't use them so I drove on it, why are you all like this?

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
I got a road question. Our city used our taxes to build road biker lanes on some roads that yall like to use and everyone who they were built for doesn't use them so I drove on it, why are you all like this?

I try to avoid bike lanes that people drive on. Hope this helps!

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
crs-one wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

I try to avoid bike lanes that people drive on. Hope this helps!

but why not ride on the lane that was built for you instead of riding in the road and being a jackass

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
Because legally I can use a normal lane, and the bike lane isn't always the safest place to be. Maybe I'm trying to turn left. You don't know.

In all seriousness I'd be shocked if a single bike commuter in your neighborhood (the intended audience) was reading this thread. You're 16, emotional, and lashing out at strangers online. Just go do something else until this hilariously minor problem no longer vexes you.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
I've got a car question... why do whiney ass kids bitch and moan about sharing the road with cyclists and think that roads belong to them instead of just giving a bike a few feet as you pass and moving on with your life?

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Because legally I can use a normal lane, and the bike lane isn't always the safest place to be. Maybe I'm trying to turn left. You don't know.

In all seriousness I'd be shocked if a single bike commuter in your neighborhood (the intended audience) was reading this thread. You're 16, emotional, and lashing out at strangers online. Just go do something else until this hilariously minor problem no longer vexes you.

false i have my own place that i rent with buddys, roads are more dangerous than provided bike lanes

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
I've got a car question... why do whiney ass kids bitch and moan about sharing the road with cyclists and think that roads belong to them instead of just giving a bike a few feet as you pass and moving on with your life?

its when there's a massive 3ft wide bike lane that's constantly swept by the city so yall can ride but then go right down the middle of the road, I don't want to have an argument, I just want to know the reason.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:

its when there's a massive 3ft wide bike lane that's constantly swept by the city so yall can ride but then go right down the middle of the road, I don't want to have an argument, I just want to know the reason.
Can't speak for wherever you are but, here, they're not lanes unto themselves they're just a painted line alongside the road... and it's actually been proven that riding on the line instead of in that partition is safer because drivers are more likely to notice you.

The sad truth is most drivers are distracted and drive like shit or are just outright a*sholes so you're better off being a visible annoyance than you are being an unobtrusive target.

Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 21:17 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
false i have my own place that i rent with buddys

Lmao. A place with some buddies. What's next, you wanna tell us about how you got to first base? You realize actual adults use this website, right?

Every once in a while some kid with a chip on his shoulder comes into the road bike threads looking to start shit. You aren't the first, and you won't be the last.

Also what is even going through your head with that "Why are you all like this" line?

Who do you think 'we' are exactly? Who are you addressing? You do realize this is a mountain bike forum, and likely everyone in this forum has mountain biked at one point or another, just like you. And many of us also own cars.

The people in this thread have no relation to these people in your town, so why don't you go f*ck off, and learn some tolerance.

Try being a team player, and drop the hate for your fellow cyclist. Congrats on managing to give both cyclists and motorists a bad name.

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 at 3:56 Quote
So here’s the thing. Every year all of the world’s road cyclists gather for a clandestine meeting, held at the top-secret hanger that NASA uses to fake videos of moon landings and make large-scale models of a spherical earth, even though we all know that it is flat.
At this meeting we all complement each other on how good we look in our lycra, we burn an effigy of a mountain bike, a prize is awarded for special services to road riding (this year it went to Geoff from Portugal – he surgically removed his balls to save 43 grams, and we all agreed it also made the outline of his d!ck look much cleaner in his lycra shorts), and then we all vote on exactly how we’re going to annoy other road users. “Riding in the middle of the carriageway” has won by a landslide every year for at least a decade.
Every two years we also have a special vote on which individual we particularly want to annoy, and this year the lucky winner was ThunderNuggets.
Obviously this is all supposed to be confidential, and really it should only be revealed when your LBS inaugurates you into the club after you buy your first matching lycra outfit, but since ThunderNuggets had basically already figured out that it is a conspiracy there didn’t seem to be much point in maintaining the pretence any longer.

Alternatively I completely agree with BBLB, and the safest way to ride (and indeed to drive) is to assume that other road users are distracted morons, because they are indeed distracted morons. Placing oneself in the middle of the carriageway means that you’re more directly in the line of vision of drivers, and thus less likely to be accidentally squashed, and also means that drivers are less inclined to try to squeeze past you when there is insufficient space to safely do so. It also means that when some dullard parks their car at the side of the road and gets out without bothering to check the mirror they are not going to take you out with the door.

One of these two explanations is obviously more logical and plausible. So will we see you at next year’s meeting? Wink

Posted: Apr 1, 2019 at 7:34 Quote
Driving is hard in your first few months of getting your licence. I can understand why it is intimidating when there are all sorts of hazards on the road, like bikes, pedestrians, potholes.... other cars... not to mention stop signs, red lights, one-way streets... yikes! good luck!

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
How much does frame design/sizing affect cycling efficiency? I am looking at the 2019' Kona Dew Plus 52CM or 2010 'Kona Lava dome 26 or 2013' Chromag Stylus for communting around the city of Vancouver.

Not sure if i want to have a rigid fork or suspension fork since i do go on the sidewalk if there is space to feel safer instead of being on the road making my jumps off curbs a little easier

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
VPentagon wrote:
How much does frame design/sizing affect cycling efficiency? I am looking at the 2019' Kona Dew Plus 52CM or 2010 'Kona Lava dome 26 or 2013' Chromag Stylus for communting around the city of Vancouver.

Not sure if i want to have a rigid fork or suspension fork since i do go on the sidewalk if there is space to feel safer instead of being on the road making my jumps off curbs a little easier
1. Don't go on the sidewalk, ever... it's a sideWALK, it's not meant for bikes and you just make us look like a*sholes and perpetuate the whole "road is meant for cars only" bullshit.

2. Sizing is EVERYTHING on a road bike. If it doesn't fit, you'll never be particularly efficient and likely won't enjoy riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.015118
Mobile Version of Website