Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
O+
Posted: May 11, 2020 at 14:46 Quote
sherbet wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
sherbet wrote:
The best method is definitely just to do 11 speed. 46 on the back is nuts low. Harden the f*ck up if you need more.

i just need more traction on them dusty 25% gradients

45c Pirelli Gravel M. They make it in 38, 42, and 45 iirc.

photo

Holy shit that is knobby

I always just feel so goony trying to tuck and get aero haha. fastest ive been able to get going is 35mph and i wasn't pedaling at that point, so i agree that smallest cog isn't really important unless you're charging

Posted: May 11, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
I've done neaaaarly 80km/h full tuck dropper down and no pedals. Felt a lot more stable than any road bike I've ridden at 60km/h.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 9:41 Quote
Agree 100%. I have no trouble spinning my 40T chainring up to the point at which gravity takes over.

I think the real decider is solo vs. group riding. If you’re out on your own, riding multi-surface tires, the only place you’ll be able to go fast enough to spin out regularly is on the downhills. But in a fast paced group ride, you can easily hit those speeds on the flats, where you won’t have the benefit of gravity to keep you moving.

So yeah, tall gears have their place, but certainly not worth sacrificing low gearing for, in a solo scenario.

singlespeedtoday wrote:
Yeah, I wasn’t really happy with the look of the color photos from my iPhone, so I just converted them to b&w. I‘m going to take out my camera and do some proper bike portraits of it soon!

photo

Man this thing is classy. I love the blue paint.

I’m totally on board with Panaracer. Keeping within their stable, the SimWorks Homage looks to have very similar construction to the Ultradynamico? Might be a good option for us 700c guys who want a piece of the action. A true ‘skin’ casing, without the layer of brown rubber the Gravel King series uses on their sidewalls. Also exact same tread siping design in the centre section. I’m thinking of trying them out as a faster rolling alternative to my otherwise excellent Resolutes- Also a great way to get some colour into my very ‘earth tone’ stock bike build.

Those bars look great. Do you miss having a modern ‘Ergo hood’ position at all? I guess it doesn’t matter when you have such a nice fit with so little saddle to bar drop. I need to get a bit more stack or shorted drop bars on my bike so I can spend more time in the drop position.

Posted: May 12, 2020 at 21:29 Quote
Yeah, looks very similar. I wasn't aware of those, but they look really nice! I'm tempted to order the 26" version for a upcoming project! Not sure if there are any differences in the casing material, the Ultradynamico's have a slightly more reddish hue than most other Panaracer made stuff I've seen. The sidewalls are extremely thin and supple, I'm running 17mm internal width rims which helps to hide them a bit from damage along the trail. Well, that's what I tell myself anyways.

The hood position is a bit different, not too bad, it's still usable. It took me a couple of rides to get used to it, I'm pretty familiar with riding classic round style drops though. They are very roomy!

This is basically how I like to use them.

1, inner top flat position for aero tucking
2, mid top flats for general purpose riding
3, outer top bends for general purpose riding
4, hoods for somewhat more technical riding where some breaking might be required, or just for stretching out
5, lower bends for the most technical riding where maximum control and lots of breaking is required
6, lower flats for climbing almost exclusively

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
Hi there.
Reaching out for advice in purchasing a bike. I know next to nothing about bikes except that I like to ride them. I currently have a Giant Hybrid bike that I've been riding for about the last 10 years. An upgrade is long overdue. I'm thinking of a road bike...I like the idea of going faster. My budget is $2500, preferably less. I'm 5'7" ... 31" inseam and 115 lbs.
Of the bikes listed on the site, does anyone have any advice or suggestions.
Greatly appreciated.
Karen

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
SpecialK71 wrote:
Hi there.
Reaching out for advice in purchasing a bike. I know next to nothing about bikes except that I like to ride them. I currently have a Giant Hybrid bike that I've been riding for about the last 10 years. An upgrade is long overdue. I'm thinking of a road bike...I like the idea of going faster. My budget is $2500, preferably less. I'm 5'7" ... 31" inseam and 115 lbs.
Greatly appreciated.
Karen

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-defy-advanced

If you are happy with the Giant brand I can definitely recommend the Defy range (Im on my second) Always at the top of the pile or there abouts in terms of awards and reviews. Its an all out road bike but less race orientated, a little more relaxed.

Mine runs 25mm tyres, the latest models have 32mm which would add to the comfort.

Also with Giant being such a big brand I reckon you could find a dealer near you to get sized up perfect.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 8:18 Quote
SpecialK71 wrote:
Hi there.
Greatly appreciated.
Karen
What type of riding do you want to do? Short, fast, all out efforts... long steady rides... Gravel rides? Do you think you'll get into racing at all, do any gran fondos? How do you see yourself using thFondo?

And which list of bikes are you referring to?

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
The Defy Advanced mentioned above is a great all around option and you should be able to find a Defy Advanced 2 inside your budget... comes with a really solid 105 spec that will serve you well for years of miles.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 13:52 Quote
SpecialK71 wrote:
My budget is $2500, preferably less.

You're in luck! Road bike performance reaches a point of diminishing returns at a much lower price point than mountain bikes. You may be able to find a good bike on sale for well under $2000 - maybe under $1500.

Some general advice when you're seeking high value:

• Disc brakes are nice, but rim brakes are a lot cheaper and work adequately. I've spent time on discs and they weren't so great as to spoil me for rim brakes.
• Carbon frames are flashy, but aluminum is pretty darned good and is a lot cheaper for a similar component spec.
• The Shimano 105 series of components are the point at which you're getting essentially all the performance of top-of-the-line components for a lot less money. The new Tiagra series (one level below 105) is now good enough that I wouldn't steer you away from it.
• Don't let an uncomfortable saddle be a deal-breaker. It's cheap and easy to replace a saddle if the one on the bike isn't ideal.
• Really nice tires are a huge upgrade and the previous generation models can often be found around half price.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
Thank you to all for the generosity of your time in responding to my post.

I'm hoping to purchase a bike on the Buy and Sell here... a great used bike that'll work for me.

Currently I like to ride for one to four hours a day. I'd like to possibly go on a longer trip...a few days or ...possibly more.

Thank you again for the advice you've given.
Very appreciated.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
SpecialK71 wrote:
Thank you to all for the generosity of your time in responding to my post.

I'm hoping to purchase a bike on the Buy and Sell here... a great used bike that'll work for me.

Currently I like to ride for one to four hours a day. I'd like to possibly go on a longer trip...a few days or ...possibly more.

Thank you again for the advice you've given.
Very appreciated.
That Defy Advanced would be a great bike for rides in that length. If you're looking for multi day adventures it's worth looking into some modern gravel bikes that lean to the road side of the spectrum, like the Checkpoint, Topstone, Diverge, etc... they'll allow you to fit extra bottles and racks while still being road oriented enough to fill in capably as a road bike and not feel overly sluggish.

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 18:12 Quote
BBLB knows what’s up.

Karen- I would personally avoid the used market... There are deals to be had, sure, but honestly I just did a quick look at the PB classifieds in the Ontario area, and nothing really strikes me as incredible value. Most people are asking within a few hundred of MSRP, or the sort of deal a shop could cut on a 2019 model. Your budget of $2000 gets you a seriously capable brand new bike, with all the benefits.. A warranty, some bike fit/setup advice, and some free tuneups. It’s pretty hard for us to recommend a used bike without being able to see it / you in person, so I can’t really go down that route in good conscience. Most people are honest, but you never can tell what crack or damage a seller may be hiding... Some times even experienced bike mechanics get fooled. I don’t mean to be negative, I just figure it’s your first new bike in a decade, might as well do what you can to avoid a bad experience.

Given that used bikes are barely any cheaper, (Covid-19 is creating more demand for bikes, and it’s having an effect on the used market too) I would seriously embrace the features and benefits of a new bike. Not so much in terms of technology, but features, and capability. There has been a renewed focus on comfort, as well as options for storage, racks, and bigger tires and better brakes, on some surprisingly speed-worthy machines. This all adds up to bikes that enable you to ride further, longer and faster, with less fatigue and more safety.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:08 Quote
Hey guys, anyone have any kit recommendations? I'm long due for a new set of bibs, and I'd like to pick up a few new jerseys as well. Trying to shop local, or Canadian at the very least. Accurate sizing is obviously a huge deal right now, as fitting rooms are off limits, and anything I order can't really be returned. I'm a large guy at 6'4" and 230+ pounds, so bear that in mind.

I like the look of the gear from MAAP, Pedla, Fyxo, and others... Why does Australia have so many good options? Trying not to look like a total Fred, or too much of a hipster either.

Was also thinking this looked decent. I like the idea of alternatives to poly, at a reasonable price without looking like a retro grouch.
https://www.pillarheights.com/cycling

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
I've always been a big fan of Assos but they've been slackng lately... Pearl Izumi is always a good choice for mainstream, reasonably priced stuff. Castelli is great quality but they're a little too euro fit for me. Rapha makes some surprisingly nice stuff.... I've recently picked up some Velocio and been really happy with it.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 17:47 Quote
Anybody ever buy anything from bestdiscountroadbikes.com?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014313
Mobile Version of Website