Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
Looking for recommendations on more casual looking shorts for road/gravel riding. Just curious to see what people are using lately. I’ve never considered myself a full on roadie, I’m definitely not fast or cool enough to be caught in a full out kit. I feel kind of silly riding road in baggy MTB shorts though.

Posted: Mar 7, 2022 at 0:59 Quote
I'm using a regular bib short in combination with a pair of shorts on the gravel bike.

I have the previous generation of this one which luckily doesn't have the current branding. It's super light and provides a less racy look on the bike without being baggy etc.

https://www.maloja.de/collection/article.php?c=237&s=8581

Posted: Mar 7, 2022 at 7:33 Quote
Oh cool, that’s similar to what I had in mind. I’m using it for bike commuting during the week, longer rides on the weekend, so it’s nice to have the flexibility to wear something with or without padding.

Posted: Mar 7, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Looking for recommendations on more casual looking shorts for road/gravel riding. Just curious to see what people are using lately. I’ve never considered myself a full on roadie, I’m definitely not fast or cool enough to be caught in a full out kit. I feel kind of silly riding road in baggy MTB shorts though.

My typical summer commuting/exploring city kit is 7mesh Foundation bib or short (though enough companies have equivalents these days) with POC Transcend shorts overtop. Nice mix of tech features but light and casual feel, and (unlike road kit or loud mtb shorts) I don't feel ridiculous walking into a corner store or wearing a basketball jersey up top.

Posted: Mar 7, 2022 at 12:48 Quote
Sounds like another good option, thanks! I’ll look into getting some base bibs for longer rides and some basic active shorts to wear over the top.

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 0:22 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
Oh cool, that’s similar to what I had in mind. I’m using it for bike commuting during the week, longer rides on the weekend, so it’s nice to have the flexibility to wear something with or without padding.

Please note these shorts are perforated so I would STRONGLY recommend wearing it with bibs underneath and not as a standalone haha.

Posted: Mar 8, 2022 at 11:36 Quote
Good call, I live in a cooler climate most of the year and I plan on riding in mud, so perforations probably aren’t ideal.

Posted: Mar 9, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
So bit of a hive mind question!

I'm looking at getting a Titanium endurance/all-road bike in the near future. I have narrowed it down to either:

Enigma or Serk.

Does anyone have experience with either?

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
It's clearly not followed though.. According to the ETRTO chart, no one running a 28-30mm tire should be running a rim wider than 19mm internal width... Both of my road wheelsets have 25mm inner widths, which according to ETRTO chart means they should only be used with tires at least 44m wide. Yet both manufacturers clearly state they work with 28's and larger and there's a ton of wheels out now that are 23-25mm inner width that are "optimized" for aero around a 25-28mm tire... So, manufacturers are ignoring the standard completely, which is why I say its so outdated. Zipp's new 303's are 23mm internal, rated 25mm +, and "fastest at 28mm." According to ETRTO, that should be a 37mm tire minimum. I'm not sure how that standard gets updated but there's a huge disconnect right now between the standard and the market and, like you said, I'd tend to trust the manufacturers over the standard.

Mate, which narrow tyres have you been successfully running on 25mm wide rims?

Looking to see if there is anything I can change to that is lighter, narrower and better rolling...more racy

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 14:41 Quote
You don't want to run anything narrower that 28mm on a 25mm internal width rim... but I've run GP5k, GP4k, Corsa's, and some Bontrager tire in 28mm on 25mm iw rims without any drama.

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
These tire sizes are driving me crazy. Bought an old (but super clean) Kona Dew Deluxe. Threw some parts bin pieces on, single speed stuff is in the mail.

The tires are marked 37x622, I understand that means 700c x 37mm? But they're narrower than the 28mm and 30mm tires on my road bikes and the rim is 14mm internal width. There's no way they're 37mm. Plenty of tread for now, but they're heavy heavy and wire bead.

Continential Country Ride

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 15:49 Quote
Looks like a fun/interesting build there! How’s the handling with drops?

I have a set of 700x40c WTB Nano tires I just pulled off my Kona Jake if you’re looking for something larger.

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
Handling is good, Kona made a "Dew Drop" but it wasn't a "Deluxe", I need more room on the top tube for the sticker.

13.7mm internal wheel should only be good to 28 maybe 32mm tires? What's weird is that these are marked 37 but there's no way it's even close. I would need a wider wheelset to run 40's, although the frame looks like it would fit. The fork is huge.

There's a pair of Phil Woods hubs on eBay, single speed, 6 bolt disc, 100/135 QR. Sadly, they're significantly more than I paid for the bike.

ETA: 700x28 Pirelli Velo 4S measure 30mm outside, 700x32 Specialized Roubaix Pro measure 34mm outside, 37x622 (700x37) Contis measure 32mm outside. Guess I'll look at 30 maybe 32 for new tires for now.

Posted: Mar 14, 2022 at 16:30 Quote
Interesting they’d spec such narrow rims on there, maybe it was a crossover part from some of their base CX/road models? It’s interesting how things have changed. I remember 10 years ago when I was debating putting 32’s on my bike, and they felt like clown shoes for the first few rides! Nowadays, I feel like I can’t run anything under 38c!

Posted: Mar 15, 2022 at 4:14 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
You don't want to run anything narrower that 28mm on a 25mm internal width rim... but I've run GP5k, GP4k, Corsa's, and some Bontrager tire in 28mm on 25mm iw rims without any drama.

I was thinking 30 or 32 Corsas literally for a week to regain some watts from the heavy duty Pirelli Cinturatos during this Ultra race. Might be more hassle than its worth.

| Next Page

Active Forum Threads
3 mins ago - Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
7 mins ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
9 mins ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
18 mins ago - Mifepristone & Misoprostol in Dubai ((+971568514865)) Where to buy Abortion pills in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Satwa-mtp kit in UAE
19 mins ago - Mifepristone & Misoprostol in Dubai ((+971568514865)) Where to buy Abortion pills in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Satwa-mtp kit in UAE
3 mins ago - Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
18 mins ago - Mifepristone & Misoprostol in Dubai ((+971568514865)) Where to buy Abortion pills in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Satwa-mtp kit in UAE
19 mins ago - Mifepristone & Misoprostol in Dubai ((+971568514865)) Where to buy Abortion pills in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Satwa-mtp kit in UAE

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007120
Mobile Version of Website