Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Road Bike Info & Discussion -*ASK ROAD QUESTIONS HERE*-
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
Not upgrading yet, and will ride my bike before it, but is it worth replacing my steel fork on my aluminium Carrera with a carbon fork?

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 18:07 Quote
No, not unless you're replacing a broken fork

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 2:39 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
No, not unless you're replacing a broken fork

Ok, thanks. I thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
On the other hand, I have a Felt aluminum bike with carbon forks and it really smooths out the road when riding over cobblestones and the like. I can't feel a difference when riding smooth pavement, tho. Saves a few grams, but so does wearing thinner socks I suppose.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 11:02 Quote
Single speed road bike ratio question here.

I'll be using my single speed conversion for mostly cruising speeds as a town commuter.

What's the best crank and freewheel ratio to use for cruising?

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 5:26 Quote
Just received my seatpost for my steel Raleigh. It looks like the correct size.

Problem is, the frame's seatpost hole is rusty and the seatpost won't go in.

Would greasing the seatpost of seatpost hole help get the seatpost in?

If no grease, what could I use?

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
kinny - provided it is actually the correct size..... maybe wrap some fine sandpaper on a wooden dowel and scrub some of that stuff out. *(or just wrap a sturdy sheet of it into a tube and go at it). Clean it out with some brake cleaner after then lube it with any grease. You could use wd40 too. that way it washes out the rust dust and tosses a coat of protection on the inside of the steel tube.

turn the frame upside down when you are doing this so that shit doesn't go down in the bottom bracket. unless you have the BB removed for servicing, which isn't a bad idea.

shit vaseline would probably work too, (you probably have a tub handy while awaiting that conjugal with your lady Pimp JK bro,.....).

you've had bikes and have a couple now so I'm sure you have SOME kind of lubricant around....chain lube, whatever. anything would work. just be judicious on how much you use. you don't want that seatpost and seatpost hole "stripper riding a f*ck machine" level lubed.....

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
The best tool for the job would be a flex hone; whichever size is slightly larger than the inner diameter of your seat tube. Soak it in WD-40 and spin it in a drill while the bike is upside down, as mentioned, to let the rust slurry safely drain out.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
Even with an intact high-end frame and post, it's still a good idea to either use grease or (with carbon fibre) friction paste. It can prevent creaking, but more importantly it means you'll actually be able to get that seatpost out again.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 9:14 Quote
Thanks everyone. I greased the seatpost and prized the seat clamp with a screw driver by a millimetre and the seat post slid right in, so sorted now.

Much appreciated for all of your advice. Salute

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 9:17 Quote
great advice barp..! and yes, drill spin with a wd40 soak would be perfect...!!!

I have several different size flex hones but not one that would fit down a 26.8 or 27.2 diam seat tube. I know kinny's on a budget so I made assumptions about what he may have on hand which may not include some of these unique tools.

Anyways....bad friend moment kinny ....my bad Frown

Sometimes my own dirt poor background makes me go full MacGuiver on recommendations regardless of the range of unique tools I've amassed over the years to fix anything from toasters to two-strokes, radios to Rasta-man's pipe.

anyways kinny - a stick of gum, a paperclip, and a AA battery should get you where you need to be lol

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
adm750 wrote:

Anyways....bad friend moment kinny ....my bad Frown

Sometimes my own dirt poor background makes me go full MacGuiver on recommendations regardless of the range of unique tools I've amassed over the years to fix anything from toasters to two-strokes, radios to Rasta-man's pipe.

anyways kinny - a stick of gum, a paperclip, and a AA battery should get you where you need to be lol

No worries my friend. I still appreciate your advice.

And lol - Luckily prizing the seatpost clamp a tiny bit with a screwdriver helped.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 10:05 Quote
@kinny-pb you could use a flexi hone to clean up the seat tube on the frame at some point if you so wish.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
@kinny-pb you could use a flexi hone to clean up the seat tube on the frame at some point if you so wish.

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that soon. I'm building from scratch, so it'll take a while to get the bike built for now.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 11:01 Quote
Thanks for the flex hone tip, I hadn’t heard of that tool before. It’s exactly what I need for my 53 Schwinn Wasp project. The stem was totally seized in the steerer tube with the bolt broken off inside the wedge, I was finally able to get it out with some sewing machine oil and a hammer. There’s still a lot of corrosion in there though and the replacement stem won’t go in now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007291
Mobile Version of Website