Wheel spindle damaging Transition TR250 frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Wheel spindle damaging Transition TR250 frame
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 8:45 Quote
Hi!

I've got a new Transition TR250 which is awesome, but what I have noticed is that around the point at which the spindle of the wheel meets the frame it's eating into the frame. I've got Deemax and they seem to have THE thinnest spindle know to man and the TR250 has a 12 mm rectangular hole cut for the axle to slide forward and back when adjusting the chainstay length. As you can see from the pic, after only a couple of rides it's looking pretty bad and the rear end is creaking and groaning everytime I pedal as the spindle eats into the frame... Frown

I was thinking about using a 12mm washer (that's about 1.5mm thick) between frame and spindle to protect it, do you think this is ok and it won't put strain on the frame being pushed to 1.5mm wider than 150mm?

Thanks!

Damage to frame:
TR250 frame being eaten by my Deemax spindle... not good Guess it s ok to put a 1.5mm thick washer in there to save the frame. Everytime I pedal it creaks and groans as the spindle eats into the frame.... All this after just 3 rides.

Tiny thin spindle on the deemax....
Deemax seem to have THE thinest spindle known to man and it s eating my TR250 frame....

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 3:28 Quote
i personally would put a washer on there before it does any more damage. may be a bit of a tight fit but atleast you'll know that the frame isn't getting any more damaged than it is already

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 5:04 Quote
you could get another wheel spindle and file it down before you put a washer. this way you don't stress the frame and can sell the wheel later without any problems.

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 5:33 Quote
JayTom20 wrote:
i personally would put a washer on there before it does any more damage. may be a bit of a tight fit but atleast you'll know that the frame isn't getting any more damaged than it is already

Yeah, the frame was getting so damaged that it had pushed the wheel 3mm off to the non drive side, so the disc was rubbing on the mount.. ARGH..... Don't have any other wheels to hand and found a washer that was 1.6mm thick so that's actually less than the wheel was offset by the damage the hub had caused. Popped it in just to see how it fitted together. Feels fine and everything works as expected. Feel like contacting Mavic and asking what they're thin hub is all about. Pity Transition doesn't warn about non compatible hubs! Frown

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 5:47 Quote
kixx wrote:
you could get another wheel spindle and file it down before you put a washer. this way you don't stress the frame and can sell the wheel later without any problems.

So you can order wheel spindles and just thread them through? Someone else I spoke to recommended filing down the spindle slightly, but I didn't want to destroy the wheel. If it's only 1.6mm do you think that would make a serious difference and put too much strain on the frame?

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 6:21 Quote
i don't think it will cause a problem. aluminum flexes a bit anyway ...

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 6:26 Quote
kixx wrote:
i don't think it will cause a problem. aluminum flexes a bit anyway ...

Yeah, true.... might just give it a go. Eek I need to regrease the pivots as the whole bike creaks at the moment under compression and I'm pretty sure it's the pivots and not the BB etc as I regreased all that and tightend everything up so. Looks like it's full service time already! Smile

Posted: Jun 22, 2011 at 10:35 Quote
Ok Peeps, I've contacted the guys at Transition - the correct way instead of my idiotic attempts via facebook... doh - and they came back real quick. They agree that the washer is the way forward. A thin 12mm washer is the perfect solution. They hadn't tried Deemax with the frame it seems so didn't realise how thin the spindle is on the deemax and the problem it caused. Won't affect your warranty if you use a thin washer between the frame and the hub. Awesome, all sorted! Smile

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011583
Mobile Version of Website