2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes
Posted: Dec 3, 2013 at 19:17 Quote
Morriente wrote:
Hey guys,

My daughter has a small 2014 Demo 8. She is 16 and only 58kg with her riding gear on. Despite being on the x soft silver spring we can only get about 10% sag on the fork and seem to be only using about 100mm of travel even on big stuff. I changed the rear from the stock 350 to a 250 spring and that seems to have sorted the back out.
Has anybody came up against this? I was thinking of using lighter weight oil in the fork or failing that getting them modified at an authorised suspension workshop.
Any ideas
Thanks

I'd try using the lighter oil first and see if that helps.

Posted: Dec 3, 2013 at 22:56 Quote
Thanks for the answer makripper!

I asked that, because in my country, I can't try different bikes, because of the lack of distributors, shops selling actual top downhill bikes. That's why I go for the geometry details if that helps, or the opinions of yours.

makripper wrote:
zarthpete wrote:
Hi All!

I'm 189 cm tall, and want to buy a large demo frame. I checked the geometry details, and I was a bit surprised. It's front end is shorter by a few centimetres, than other large frames, for example: large summum, glory, v10.

That made me a bit sceptical about buying a demo. Any opinions from demo owners? How does a large demo ride, compared to other large frames? The large demo frame seems small to me in some details (top tube, wheel base)

Ps: I rode a Medium 2007 Ktm Aphex frame, and it became very painful to my back, to ride a small frame like that.
i have owned a 2013 medium giant glory and a 2011 and now 2014 demo. The overall length of the glory is longer than the demo. It depends on your riding style. The cockpit feel is similar but you definitely notice the angles. The glory was a bit more raked out so good for carrying speed in straights. Geometry and tube lengths aren't helpful to go off of. You have to ride the bike and see what caters best to your style.

Posted: Dec 4, 2013 at 18:18 Quote
zarthpete wrote:
Thanks for the answer makripper!

I asked that, because in my country, I can't try different bikes, because of the lack of distributors, shops selling actual top downhill bikes. That's why I go for the geometry details if that helps, or the opinions of yours.

makripper wrote:
zarthpete wrote:
Hi All!

I'm 189 cm tall, and want to buy a large demo frame. I checked the geometry details, and I was a bit surprised. It's front end is shorter by a few centimetres, than other large frames, for example: large summum, glory, v10.

That made me a bit sceptical about buying a demo. Any opinions from demo owners? How does a large demo ride, compared to other large frames? The large demo frame seems small to me in some details (top tube, wheel base)

Ps: I rode a Medium 2007 Ktm Aphex frame, and it became very painful to my back, to ride a small frame like that.
i have owned a 2013 medium giant glory and a 2011 and now 2014 demo. The overall length of the glory is longer than the demo. It depends on your riding style. The cockpit feel is similar but you definitely notice the angles. The glory was a bit more raked out so good for carrying speed in straights. Geometry and tube lengths aren't helpful to go off of. You have to ride the bike and see what caters best to your style.
for me, in my area, where there's lots of steep and rocky jagged trails as well as fast flow trails, the demo was better all around. Plus it corners way better than the giant. Hope that helps!

Posted: Dec 6, 2013 at 11:45 Quote
Just wondering, what spring weight are you guys running and your corresponding own weight?

Posted: Dec 6, 2013 at 11:49 Quote
Soft fork spring, and 400-450 rear spring (ran both last season on my vivid). Rider weight: 220 lbs.

Posted: Dec 6, 2013 at 18:50 Quote
Are there any companies that are currently making Ti springs that fit the Ohlins shock? I'm looking for one for my bike.

Posted: Dec 6, 2013 at 20:21 Quote
How does the ohlins shock feel? Have you ridden anything else to give us a point of reference?

Posted: Dec 6, 2013 at 20:25 Quote
harperrider wrote:
Are there any companies that are currently making Ti springs that fit the Ohlins shock? I'm looking for one for my bike.

Ey, good question, I was about almost to buy one of those shocks, thinking that I can use the actual spring from my Cane Creek, but you created the doubt.

Can the TTX Ohlins use any spring?, or at least the one of Cane Creek size?.

Cheers!

Posted: Dec 6, 2013 at 20:37 Quote
chaboii wrote:
How does the ohlins shock feel? Have you ridden anything else to give us a point of reference?

I've only had a few rides on it, but it feels very planted to the ground. I need to dial it in more, and would really like to try a 25-50 lb heavier spring for comparison.
I heard that the Cane Creek Double Barrel Ti springs will fit, but I don't know for sure.

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 at 8:08 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
Soft fork spring, and 400-450 rear spring (ran both last season on my vivid). Rider weight: 220 lbs.

Fair play, I'm guessing at 150lbs or 67kg i'd be looking at a 300 or 350 rear spring maybe

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 at 12:06 Quote
Just built up my Demo, well chuffed!

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 at 12:27 Quote
MarsTheGuy wrote:
Freerideguy14 wrote:

Fair play, I'm guessing at 150lbs or 67kg i'd be looking at a 300 or 350 rear spring maybe
Probably about a 350, I ran my suspension a lot softer than I should be for a 220 lb guy. By Calculators for 33% sag you're looking right around 300 to 350 anyways.

Posted: Dec 7, 2013 at 22:56 Quote
MarsTheGuy wrote:
Freerideguy14 wrote:

I'm 175lbs and a 500 feels nice and soft still on my dhx

Posted: Dec 8, 2013 at 1:05 Quote
jack-jdeagan10 wrote:
MarsTheGuy wrote:
Freerideguy14 wrote:

I'm 175lbs and a 500 feels nice and soft still on my dhx

500? Sound way stiff for you at 175. I am ~190 geared up and find 400 to be the sweet spot

Posted: Dec 8, 2013 at 1:35 Quote
I mean some people like stiff springs but by math and generalizations 500 for you is super unorthadox. Hopefully you spend a good amount of time jumping, a stiff spring is far for that. But for rutty DH you definitely are NOT getting the traction you want at 500 lbs. Contrary to belief jumping light springs is possible, I actually prefer it Smile

But hey, end of the day rider comfort is what comes first and clearly I ride differently than you so who is to say who is unorthadox right? Just go have fun!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012007
Mobile Version of Website