2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes
Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 19:29 Quote
guys!! I need your collective help

so my stupid press fit BB the plastic cups keep coming loose... what do I do to fix it once and for all?

literally one ride after getting the bike shop to install new cups and BB the drive slide started coming out.

Im thinking of using loctite... but I would prefer a permanent and reliable fix.

its the one thing I dislike about my demo!

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 19:34 Quote
Get hope pressfit by or use blue loctite. I say get hope bb and be done.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 19:37 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Get hope pressfit by or use blue loctite. I say get hope bb and be done.

yes wth thanks man! Salute

never seen the hop press fit till now. definetly what I need

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 19:47 Quote
My race face pf bb hasn't come loose yet on my demo. Make sure you get something with metal cups. Plastic is garbage.

Posted: Aug 30, 2015 at 19:48 Quote
Send beer. Or food. Or maple syrup.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 6:10 Quote
harperrider wrote:
My race face pf bb hasn't come loose yet on my demo. Make sure you get something with metal cups. Plastic is garbage.

Yup I agree. My RF PF BB has been creak free, with no looseness either.

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 7:13 Quote
agree, I use my Race Face bb for 2 years now, no problems so far Wink

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 8:33 Quote
robd420 wrote:
harperrider wrote:

Yup I agree. My RF PF BB has been creak free, with no looseness either.

^^ race face press fit is great

Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 18:21 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Send beer. Or food. Or maple syrup.

lol. syrup seems cheapest to ship!

Posted: Sep 1, 2015 at 7:33 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://aintnogod.com/ipb/uploads/gallery/album_17/sml_gallery_298_17_1836.gif

Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 21:15 Quote
Rode my '14 Demo II at Mammoth this weekend. I bought the bike used about a month ago. The bike and suspension worked flawlessly. However, I was riding with my 12 year old son, so he was not up to much more than single black diamond runs. We actually ended up on some sections that required some uphill pedaling. That is were I started walking. So, what setup could I use to replace 7 speed 9-20 XO rear setup for something more friendly to pedaling? I know I will need a new shifter, derailleur, chain and cassette, but not sure what is compatible with my current setup. Or is the easier solution just a smaller front chain-ring? Thanks!

Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 21:24 Quote
You may not need a shifter or derailleur. What do you you currently have? I don't see why you can't just throw a bigger cassete and chain on. Then make your adjustments to the shifter and derailleur accordingly.

Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 21:46 Quote
Big cassette does wonders, but also a smaller chainring.

My bike came with a 36T ring and 11-25 cassette. I ran a 34T and 11-32 for over a year with no problems, makes climbing fireroads and such doable.

It does get louder though -- even with a clutch derailleur, the chain slap and clunking of the mech is louder than with the 11-25.

Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 22:16 Quote
Bought this ride used about a month ago and have done nothing other than swap out the rear spring for one that better fits my weight. Just looking for some advice from people in the know due to the fact that my local shop does not carry or commonly deal with DH bikes.

Currently have the stock setup for the rear

SRAM X0 9 speed short cage rear
Shimano HG-70 Capreo, 7-speed, Micro 9-20 cassette
SRAM X0, 9-speed shifter
36T front ring
Custom DT Swiss, Capreo compatible, Star Ratchet, 135mm, 32h rear hub

Front Crankset also stock
SRAM X0 DH, carbon arms, micro-single 32T ring, PF30 spindle, 165mm, E.13 SRS chainguide

Complete specs for my ride

Can I just swap out the funky 7 speed 9-20 cassette for a 9 speed 11-34 like this combined with a 9 speed chain? Will it play nice with my short cage rear X0 derailleur?

My downhill season is likely over for this year, so I have a long time to make the changes before I take it back out next summer.

Posted: Sep 7, 2015 at 23:44 Quote
The capreo freehub is considerably shorter to accommodate the 7 speed cassette so it will not be as simple as changing to a larger/wider cassette, what you can do however with your existing set up is maybe find an old 32-11t cassette and swap out the first two top cogs off the 7 speed setup to the larger 28-26t cogs, this will be much easer to pedal uphill than a 20. You may also want to change the front chainring to something like a 30 or 32t to make the most of the gearing at the rear, this will look very strange but will make a huge difference in how it gets uphill. Just be cautious which cassette you use as I assume that the 7 speed setup is made from a 10 speed cassette which is where you'll need to get your cogs from, lastly you may need to lengthen your chain if you decide to go to the larger rear cogs without changing the front chainring.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014103
Mobile Version of Website