2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
2012 Specialized Demo 8/ bikes
Posted: Oct 1, 2016 at 6:23 Quote
Time to replace the stock Roval wheels on my 2014 Demo 8. What do you guys recommend? I was looking at these Spank Spike Race 33. Would these be a significant upgrade? I'm not a racer, just a bike park addict.

photo

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/spank-spike-race-33-bead-bite-mtb-wheelset-2016/rp-prod145346

Posted: Oct 6, 2016 at 10:38 Quote
I got 2 friends who run them and from what I see they aren't really beefy rims....... if you ride a lot of park I'd go with something beefier.
729s or 823s IME are much stronger wheels

Posted: Oct 8, 2016 at 10:44 Quote
Plenty of better rims out there. Spank rims = cheese.

Posted: Oct 8, 2016 at 11:04 Quote
reds wrote:
you could ask about any wheelset and at least one person will say that.

Posted: Oct 8, 2016 at 11:27 Quote
Anyone looking for a 2012 demo??? I just bought me a 2016!!

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 4:31 Quote
reds wrote:

Which wheelset would you recommend then?

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 9:54 Quote
chappers998 wrote:
reds wrote:

Truuuu, my Spanks have done well

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 15:40 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
chappers998 wrote:
reds wrote:

I second that. As far as aluminum goes, Spank is my go-to choice. The new Stan's Flow MK3 might be worth looking into as well, though I didn't have a good experience with Flow EX - lasted maybe the least of all my rims ever Frown

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 19:44 Quote
MrDuck wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:
chappers998 wrote:

I second that. As far as aluminum goes, Spank is my go-to choice. The new Stan's Flow MK3 might be worth looking into as well, though I didn't have a good experience with Flow EX - lasted maybe the least of all my rims ever Frown

I third that. While my older Spike 35s seemed a little soft on the bead, the Oozy Trail 345 and 395+ I have on my trail and DH bike have held up amazingly well over the last 9 months. Perfectly true and round, and I've HAMMERED them.

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 19:47 Quote
henkster wrote:
MrDuck wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:

I third that. While my older Spike 35s seemed a little soft on the bead, the Oozy Trail 345 and 395+ I have on my trail and DH bike have held up amazingly well over the last 9 months. Perfectly true and round, and I've HAMMERED them.

What's the difference between the different Oozy wheelsets?

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 20:50 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
henkster wrote:
MrDuck wrote:

The 260, 295, 345 and 395+ are constructed pretty much the same but with different widths. The 295 is 29.5mm external width, and the 345 and 395 are 34.5mm and 39.5 external, hence the naming. The 395 pairs perfectly with the new Maxxis WT tires, I'd even go as far to say that they're the best rims I've ever had.

The latest Spikes are very similar to the Oozy inside, but with a little more material all over, and a beefy sidewall to reduce the folding over that you used to get with big rock strikes on the older Spikes. So the Race 33 is pretty much a stronger Oozy 345.

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 21:12 Quote
henkster wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:
henkster wrote:

The 260, 295, 345 and 395+ are constructed pretty much the same but with different widths. The 295 is 29.5mm external width, and the 345 and 395 are 34.5mm and 39.5 external, hence the naming. The 395 pairs perfectly with the new Maxxis WT tires, I'd even go as far to say that they're the best rims I've ever had.

The latest Spikes are very similar to the Oozy inside, but with a little more material all over, and a beefy sidewall to reduce the folding over that you used to get with big rock strikes on the older Spikes. So the Race 33 is pretty much a stronger Oozy 345.

Which Oozy is ideal for an all mountain bike?

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 0:15 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
henkster wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:

Depends on how wide you like your rims really, which I suppose depends on the tires you want to run. I have the 295 wheelset on my 160mm bike, the 345s on Hope hubs on my hardtail, the 395s on my M16c, and the Race 28s on my backup DH wheels.

There's much less tire roll with the 395 than the 295, and it's a sweet combo for sure, but when I rebuild the 160mm trail bike wheels then I'm pretty sure that it'll be the 345s. They work really nicely on the hardtail with the width of the Minion DHF 3C/Exo/TR 2.3s. The 295s are just refusing to give up though, so it may be another couple of years Wink

The 345 is a super stiff rim, super strong for the weight, and builds nicely into a really nice wheelset. You can't go wrong with them IMHO.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2016 at 9:04 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
henkster wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:

To put the quality into perspective, I run the oozy 345's on my AM 29er hardtail, and on my 275 bike park/slopestyle rig. Theyre extremely stiff. 20+ foot drops, large dirt doubles, no flex at all. I couldn't recommend them more!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015241
Mobile Version of Website