Session, Podium or Shocker?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Session, Podium or Shocker?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 at 21:58 Quote
So I know that I will probably get a lot of crap for posting this but I am wondering which bike I will enjoy the most. I own a Demo 8 and just want to try something new. I am starting to get more into racing and less into freeride but this will be the bike that I race and just tool around on and jump. With that being said, I know the trek is more of a full or race bike and dents pretty easily , but it just looks so sick, and the Cove and the Knolly are both a bit heavier, but weight isn't really an issue because based on what I have read they both track and jump really well. I think that they will all do what I want to really well and that I will enjoy all of them. It pretty much comes down to what will last the longest. I am hoping that trek has fixed their tin can frame issues for 2011, because that is my favorite. Any help would be great.
Thanks PB

Posted: Jun 27, 2011 at 22:35 Quote
I am running the 2011 Session 88 and I have been smashing on it for the last 6 months without a single dent or anything. The bike is ridiculously fast and the harder you push it, the better is handles, and the faster you go. Not to mention it is really light and incredibly flick-able through the tight sections. Get the Session, because you will not be disappointed.
It does it all amazingly well.

Posted: Jun 27, 2011 at 23:13 Quote
MarzRider wrote:
I am running the 2011 Session 88 and I have been smashing on it for the last 6 months without a single dent or anything. The bike is ridiculously fast and the harder you push it, the better is handles, and the faster you go. Not to mention it is really light and incredibly flick-able through the tight sections. Get the Session, because you will not be disappointed.
It does it all amazingly well.

Ya that is what I was thinking, I have heard that the new sessions are much stronger and less susceptible to denting as much as past models. Thanks for the input!

Posted: Jun 27, 2011 at 23:32 Quote
I test rode a podium in whistler last week and I got to say they are FAST! Bike eats up everything. Keep in mind that it has a long wheel base though and its hard to pop off lips compared to the demo but the bike is a race bike so thats expected. It deffently wont dent and deffently eats roots and rocks up.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 0:21 Quote
dher0521 wrote:
I test rode a podium in whistler last week and I got to say they are FAST! Bikle eats up everything. Keep in mind that it has a long wheel base though and its hard to pod off lips compared to the demo but the bike is a race bike so thats expected. It deffently wont dent and deffently eats roots and rocks up.

Ya I don't see that being an issue since I plan on staying lower to the ground and railing turns and trying to win races. How did it corner? I have read that people were a little mixed on its cornering abilities. Any other help would be appreciated.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 0:28 Quote
Like i said its a long bike. It corners well but gets to be alot of bike when things get tight. geo is spot on but the bike is sloppy when you are going through slow tight sections. The bike seems to ride better the faster you go kinda. It feels to sluggish when you are at slow speeds. Then again I was only on it for a day hahaha but ya its for sure fun. Any three of those bikes would make a sick race set. Maybe look into the tr450 too. I wouldent go with the session if you plan on keeping it for a long time. I am sure they ride amazingly but I would rather have a bike that wieghts more then a bike that might break in a season or two.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 0:40 Quote
this is what the write up for it is:
"the Podium is purebred racing performance: an aggressive BB height, a 64 degree head angle and one of the most acclaimed suspension systems on the market lead to a high performance bike that's fast, stable and predictable in every situation. This bike is fast – and we mean really fast – yet it's still super nimble in the tight technical sections. The Podium is designed to balance the needs of a light weight racing bike while still providing the lateral rigidity to hold the tightest lines through corners."

I dont know why they said its super nimble in tight sections because it deffently isent super nimble. Deffently more nimble then my vp free but tight slow spots arent this bikes best preformer. Maybe I feel that way because it feels beyond perfect on rough rooty fast secions but I dont know. I dont have much to compair it too or alot of time on the bike.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 0:58 Quote
dher0521 wrote:
Like i said its a long bike. It corners well but gets to be alot of bike when things get tight. geo is spot on but the bike is sloppy when you are going through slow tight sections. The bike seems to ride better the faster you go kinda. It feels to sluggish when you are at slow speeds. Then again I was only on it for a day hahaha but ya its for sure fun. Any three of those bikes would make a sick race set. Maybe look into the tr450 too. I wouldent go with the session if you plan on keeping it for a long time. I am sure they ride amazingly but I would rather have a bike that wieghts more then a bike that might break in a season or two.

Ya I had a feeling it'd be a little sluggish on the tight tech sections, and i know that those sections can very well determine a race. Have you rode the transition? How does it handle compared to the knolly? Ya There is just something about a super light frame that screams problems

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 1:52 Quote
Also, wouldn't the single pivot design on the transition cause some major brake jacking?

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 7:19 Quote
dher0521 wrote:

The new Sessions are out to last man. Trek has it dialed with the perfect combination of lightweight and durability. There is nothing to worry about with the bike not lasting. Plus the ABP (active braking pivot) actually works. You can really tell that the shock is still doing its job when the rear wheel is locked up.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 10:39 Quote
MarzRider wrote:
dher0521 wrote:

The new Sessions are out to last man. Trek has it dialed with the perfect combination of lightweight and durability. There is nothing to worry about with the bike not lasting. Plus the ABP (active braking pivot) actually works. You can really tell that the shock is still doing its job when the rear wheel is locked up.

How does the session handle on the tight and tech? how does it track in the air?

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 11:22 Quote
ianj wrote:
dher0521 wrote:

Ya I had a feeling it'd be a little sluggish on the tight tech sections, and i know that those sections can very well determine a race. Have you rode the transition? How does it handle compared to the knolly? Ya There is just something about a super light frame that screams problems
havent riden one yet but I have seen tons of them at whistler and at the races so they are doing something right.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 12:02 Quote
ianj wrote:
MarzRider wrote:
dher0521 wrote:

How does the session handle on the tight and tech? how does it track in the air?
I also own a session. The bike handles amazingly well in tight an tech.over rocks and roots it feels like your just skimming over them and not getting hung up. The bike is very nimble and can corner sharp turns well. In the air it feels very stable and being lighter makes it eaiser to manuever. All in all i enjoy this bike alot

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 12:18 Quote
cGonzalez wrote:
ianj wrote:
MarzRider wrote:

I also own a session. The bike handles amazingly well in tight an tech.over rocks and roots it feels like your just skimming over them and not getting hung up. The bike is very nimble and can corner sharp turns well. In the air it feels very stable and being lighter makes it eaiser to manuever. All in all i enjoy this bike alot

Okay, does your session have the "flexy metal issue" to where you can feel it flex when you squeeze it hard enough? I really really like the bike but I am hesitant because I have heard that it isn't durable at all

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 12:22 Quote
no not at all. i don't have any flex in mine. i had a 09 and now a 2010 and both are fine. the reason i sold my 2009 was because i grew out of it. i'm not sure i havent had any problems yet, some small dings on the down tube but nothing to worry about there very small.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.304801
Mobile Version of Website