Session, Podium or Shocker?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Session, Podium or Shocker?
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 18:14 Quote
I love my shocker its a great bike and pedals well even though it's a little heavier than the Knolly and Trek. There also super durable and last long. All three bikes are sick but i'd sugest you demo all three bikes if you can, then make your choice.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 18:21 Quote
MuddyProductions wrote:
I love my shocker its a great bike and pedals well even though it's a little heavier than the Knolly and Trek. There also super durable and last long. All three bikes are sick but i'd sugest you demo all three bikes if you can, then make your choice.

How does it track in the air? Heard it is NOT a good jumper, which would be fine for just a DH bike but terrible for an FR bike. Glad to see that a Cove advocate finally gave their opinion.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 18:25 Quote
ianj wrote:
MuddyProductions wrote:

How does it track in the air? Heard it is NOT a good jumper, which would be fine for just a DH bike but terrible for an FR bike. Glad to see that a Cove advocate finally gave their opinion.

I find its fine in the air also depends if you'r going to get the 2011 cove or a 2010. I have the 2010 model and its great and i love it but the 2011 is even better, geo is more so a race bike and im pretty sure its slightly lighter. I know alot of guys who go big on their shockers so id say its fine in the air.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 18:33 Quote
MuddyProductions wrote:
ianj wrote:
MuddyProductions wrote:

I find its fine in the air also depends if you'r going to get the 2011 cove or a 2010. I have the 2010 model and its great and i love it but the 2011 is even better, geo is more so a race bike and im pretty sure its slightly lighter. I know alot of guys who go big on their shockers so id say its fine in the air.

Ya they made the 2011 shocker about 1-2 pounds lighter I think. It is a sweet bike though. I just saw a 2011 and it looks SSOO much sicker than the 2010 shocker

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 21:45 Quote
I don't own any of these 3 bikes, but I am in the exact same boat as you. Going from a Demo to a race specific DH frame.

I've heard from a few shocker owners that they jump amazingly.

Also, for 2011 the shocker is slacker and lower, in addition to it being lighter.

I am just searching the buysell until I see any one of these frames for a good deal.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 21:58 Quote
bonkfisher5 wrote:
I don't own any of these 3 bikes, but I am in the exact same boat as you. Going from a Demo to a race specific DH frame.

Also, for 2011 the shocker is slacker and lower, in addition to it being lighter.

I am just searching the buysell until I see any one of these frames for a good deal.

It's a rough spot isn't it? Then when you think you have something pinned you see another bike haha

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 21:58 Quote
What about the 951? I know that's a pretty good bike

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:06 Quote
ianj wrote:
bonkfisher5 wrote:

It's a rough spot isn't it? Then when you think you have something pinned you see another bike haha

hahaha yeah it really is a struggle. Im just waiting for the right size to pop up in the buysell at a decent price.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:12 Quote
bonkfisher5 wrote:
ianj wrote:
bonkfisher5 wrote:

hahaha yeah it really is a struggle. Im just waiting for the right size to pop up in the buysell at a decent price.

That pretty much gets rid of any session or podium so and there is only 1 tr450 in BC, but there is a ton of 2010 shockers out there

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:19 Quote
Yeah i almost bought an unreal 2010 shocker but decided it was too big for me.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:22 Quote
bonkfisher5 wrote:
They are unreal bikes. Pretty awesome but I cant find any in my area that are my size. Plus the 2010s arent as sexy as the 2011s haha

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:27 Quote
ianj wrote:
bonkfisher5 wrote:
They are unreal bikes. Pretty awesome but I cant find any in my area that are my size. Plus the 2010s arent as sexy as the 2011s haha

Cove(in North Vancouver) is selling there 2010 frames for 2000 brand new with rc4 and full warranty pretty sick deal if you go with a frame.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:28 Quote
[Quote="MuddyProductions"]
ianj wrote:
bonkfisher5 wrote:

Cove(in North Vancouver) is selling there 2010 frames for 2000 brand new with rc4 and full warranty pretty sick deal if you go with a frame

I will keep that in mind, that is a pretty good deal

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:42 Quote
I have a 2010 Shocker, with a Cane Creek Double Barrel. The bike feels amazing in the rough stuff, is very comfortable at speed and pedals quite well. It hold it own in the tighter, slower tech terrain, but the weight (particularly in the wheelsets) are a big part of the problem. The frame is on the heavier side though (approximately 13.5 pounds with an ELKA), a by product of the bomb proof construction. The build have is also on the heavy side, (very heavy actually, over 45 pounds) but I could probably put it in the low fourty pounds range with some dieting. When I built it reliability was the main concern since I had broken my last two frame and the bike spends a lot of time getting pounded in Whistler during the summer months..

I also have the NSB lowering dropouts on mine, I never tried it with the factory dropouts but I like the way it rides right now. I am also working on lowering the front of the bike (07 88Cool with Risse flat crowns and a boxxer stem combo, I think the lower cockpit will deffinately help it in the corners. I believe the 2011's have a 1.5 headtube which would allow you to run a zero stack headset, this would be a big help.

photo

photo

Another option to consider, the 2011 Norco Team DH. I know lot's of people talk trash about Norco but this bike is seriously fast! Mine's a custom build weighing in at 42 pounds but the frame can easily be built up to 38 pounds or less. The DH rides light and pedals well, smooths gnarly trails and is very quick feeling in the slow tech. I haven't had it to any wide open trails, but so far it feels plenty stable. Added bonus, they are quite affordable as both a frame and complete build and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

photo

photo

I've got loads more pictures, just check out my profile if your interested.

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 22:43 Quote
ianj wrote:
What about the 951? I know that's a pretty good bike

And you want durability right??? Hahaha not your best option there. I saw last weekend in whistler a 951 with 2 snapped chainstays and he snapped it on "Fade to Black".

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019110
Mobile Version of Website