Gauging interest: S&M Bikes DJ bars

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Gauging interest: S&M Bikes DJ bars
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 13:04 Quote
ive approached S&M Bikes about making a set of steel MTB bars.

preliminary specs are as follows:

4130 chromoly
25.4mm clamp or 22.2 with shim
29-30" wide so people could cut to suit their needs
3-3.5" rise with welded crossbar
9-10 degree back, 4-5 degree up
a price tag of $55-75 would be the target(Deity, NS, 243, etc)

would anybody else be interested in these? im not looking for profit, just looking for others out there who would be interested in supporting the OG dirt jump company or just running a set of their bars

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 at 15:13 Quote
hellbilly wrote:
ive approached S&M Bikes about making a set of steel MTB bars.

preliminary specs are as follows:

4130 chromoly
25.4mm clamp or 22.2 with shim
29-30" wide so people could cut to suit their needs
3-3.5" rise with welded crossbar
9-10 degree back, 4-5 degree up
a price tag of $55-75 would be the target(Deity, NS, 243, etc)

would anybody else be interested in these? im not looking for profit, just looking for others out there who would be interested in supporting the OG dirt jump company or just running a set of their bars

If S&M didn't want to, I bet STANDARD would. They've already had several awesome custom DJ builds.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/28973/2940919960056395567S500x500Q85.jpg

If the bars have a crossbar, they'll be more like super-low BMX cruiser bars.
I run 4"s on my MOB. Might be a little tall for some people--but 3.5 or 3.75 with crossbar might be popular....

Yowelli did a 3.5 with crossbar:

photo

4" rise 2-piece bmx bars..........?
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212607

3-3.5" rise bars?
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225842

Standard Bykes 26" mtbmx (custom)
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227473

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 at 1:25 Quote
If S&M didn't want to, I bet STANDARD would

perhaps, however Chris from S&M already got back to me. i was never a fan of Standard Bikes, even having owned a "Shorty" and a "Lengthy" to try both out when they became available. granted, this was before the STA and the 125-250-whatever frames came along. i held true to the dirtbike, challenger, and even a widowmaker when i tried a run at 24".

even still, i dont think any bar has been more copied than the S&M Slam. i know for a fact 17/20 AA riders used them 17 years ago when i was racing BMX. from GT/Robinson/Auburn/Powerlite to TNT to Profile to Hawk to Crupi, all using Slam Bars and mostly Pitchforks, almost always re-branded as factory stuff. i guess the same could be said for Profile cranks and DX pedals, but im a bit of a time machine.

either way, im all in for S&M bars. i'll buy my own private stash if i have to lol

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 at 11:33 Quote
hellbilly wrote:
. . .
perhaps, however Chris from S&M already got back to me. . . .

well what did he say then ?

(BTW, i'm also a fan of S&M. i've have a Widowmaker, and also had one of the early Holmes, back when they were two-dropouts pressed together like 1992, as well as a 95 Dirt Bike).

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 at 11:39 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
hellbilly wrote:
. . .
perhaps, however Chris from S&M already got back to me. . . .

well what did he say then ?

(BTW, i'm also a fan of S&M. i've have a Widowmaker, and also had one of the early Holmes, back when they were two-dropouts pressed together like 1992, as well as a 95 Dirt Bike).

i still have my early 90's dirtbike frame lol. anyway, he asked me for geometry yesterday, which is why i started this thread to see if anyone else would be interested. im waiting now to hear back on whether it will be a limited production or if i'll be buying a one-off bar

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 at 17:56 Quote
It would be sweet if S&M made a set . But I would say price a bit less and try to match the performance and or shape of the NS district 2011 4 inch rise . Those bars are amazing but way over priced But also very difficult to come by in the states .
Should also see if they consider making a new Dj MTB park frame set. Since Blk Mkt is no longer made by them they fell off ;p

Oh and 4 inch rule. Love these bars Drool
photo

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 at 20:17 Quote
Caezar wrote:
It would be sweet if S&M made a set . But I would say price a bit less and try to match the performance and or shape of the NS district 2011 4 inch rise . Those bars are amazing but way over priced But also very difficult to come by in the states .
Should also see if they consider making a new Dj MTB park frame set. Since Blk Mkt is no longer made by them they fell off ;p

photo

4" is getting a bit too high for the average DJ/Park guy IMO. i think 3" is ideal. also, you could just raise your stem with the spacers you already have and use 3" bars lol

Posted: Jun 29, 2011 at 21:02 Quote
hellbilly wrote:
Caezar wrote:

photo

4" is getting a bit too high for the average DJ/Park guy IMO. i think 3" is ideal. also, you could just raise your stem with the spacers you already have and use 3" bars lol
already did lol
My new nightmare p My NS Majesty Dirt 2011

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 5:21 Quote
3.5-4" rise with no crossbar would be perfect

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 6:36 Quote
Theres something about a crossbar, I just hate it.

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 14:23 Quote
Dartmoor Toxic 2011 Best bars perfect everything the Ns bars ride horribly Backsweep is huge

Posted: Jun 30, 2011 at 22:37 Quote
sammythehibee wrote:
Dartmoor Toxic 2011 Best bars perfect everything the Ns bars ride horribly Backsweep is huge
I never new of them. Sweet bars. I like my back sweep of the proofs. But if I ever decide i want 0 back sweep might give these a try. Are they alloy or steel? Also whats the max rise on them ?

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 at 1:23 Quote
sammythehibee wrote:

the 2011 Dartmoor Toxic is 3.5" rise, 8 degree back, 5 degree up.
the 2011 NS Proof is 3.3" rise, 10 degree back, 4 degree up

edit: i was a little loaded and kinda went too far in my response. for that i apologize

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 at 16:31 Quote
hellbilly wrote:
sammythehibee wrote:

edit: i was a little loaded and kinda went too far in my response. for that i apologize

I ride these basrs they feel amazing The rise is like 3.5 defo get them much better than ns and there steel with interenal gussets

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 at 17:37 Quote
sammythehibee wrote:
hellbilly wrote:
sammythehibee wrote:

I ride these basrs they feel amazing The rise is like 3.5 defo get them much better than ns and there steel with interenal gussets
Are you talking the NS 2010 bars or the 2011. I have the 2011 with 3.3" and am looking into getting the district 4" rise I have no complaints on them they are super smooth. I have to admit when I got them I pressed down and they flexed a bit which freaked me out at first . But later found out they where designed that way. You don't even notice it when you ride and my wrist are loving the comfort.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011276
Mobile Version of Website