Does boiling odi longneck grips make a difference.

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Does boiling odi longneck grips make a difference.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 8:43 Quote
would it work pouring a boiled kettle over them or stick them i a saucepan and boil water in that and them stick the grips in.
cons& pros
any other grips u recommend (not animals got them at the mo they r alright)

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 9:42 Quote
bmxcult2345 wrote:
would it work pouring a boiled kettle over them or stick them i a saucepan and boil water in that and them stick the grips in.
cons& pros

Pros: boiling makes them softer, you don't have to ride them to break them in.
cons: I have heard it makes them not last quite as long. But it's not like they wear out right away.
And longnecks and Animal edwins are my 2 favorite grips by far, I would stick with those. One grip that I would definately stay away from is Odyssey Aaron Ross keyboard grips. They are soft, but when it's hot and humid out and your hands sweat, their grip is HORRIBLE.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 9:56 Quote
spbmx wrote:
bmxcult2345 wrote:
cons& pros

Pros: boiling makes them softer, you don't have to ride them to break them in.
cons: I have heard it makes them not last quite as long. But it's not like they wear out right away.
And longnecks and Animal edwins are my 2 favorite grips by far, I would stick with those. One grip that I would definately stay away from is Odyssey Aaron Ross keyboard grips. They are soft, but when it's hot and humid out and your hands sweat, their grip is HORRIBLE.
ok cheers. so is it best to pour bolding water from the kettle over them or stick them in a saucepan and boil the water and the grips in the saucepan.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 9:59 Quote
Boil them in it, but watch them. Heat the stove to "low" and let the water start boiling before you put the grips in. Also make sure they aren't in for too long, a few minutes will do.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 10:02 Quote
spbmx wrote:
Boil them in it, but watch them. Heat the stove to "low" and let the water start boiling before you put the grips in. Also make sure they aren't in for too long, a few minutes will do.

ok so like no more than 5mins. does it ruin the saucepan.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 10:02 Quote
bmxcult2345 wrote:
spbmx wrote:

No it would ruin the grips.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 10:26 Quote
spbmx wrote:
bmxcult2345 wrote:
spbmx wrote:

oh yeh i no if i leave the grips in there for to long they get ruined but does it affect the saucepan in any way. like is it still ok to use after (first clean) and cook food like u r meant to in it.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 10:33 Quote
f*ck boiling, I've done it before and it dosent do much.

Take your grips and rub them against a concrete/hard surface like a curb until they feel soft and all the plastic shiny coating is gone. Then put them under some water and wash them off, they feel great afterwards.

I did them with my edwins and it worked so well.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 11:19 Quote
boiled mine in a saucepan for about 20 minutes, and mine were noticeably softer

and i recommend odyssey team grips very highly

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 11:23 Quote
bmxcult2345 wrote:
spbmx wrote:
bmxcult2345 wrote:

oh yeh i no if i leave the grips in there for to long they get ruined but does it affect the saucepan in any way. like is it still ok to use after (first clean) and cook food like u r meant to in it.

you boil for 10-20 mins to get a proper effect, do it on the hob in a saucepan and only time the time when the water is at a boil so leave the hob on) to put the grips in put string through them (one piece of string per grip) i used wooden clothes pegs on the saucepan on either side of each piece of string. the trick is not to let the grips touch each other, or the side of the saucepan, also you need to keep the grips down, to keep mine down i pushed them with a metal spoon, but anything should work

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 11:32 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
bmxcult2345 wrote:
spbmx wrote:

you boil for 10-20 mins to get a proper effect, do it on the hob in a saucepan and only time the time when the water is at a boil so leave the hob on) to put the grips in put string through them (one piece of string per grip) i used wooden clothes pegs on the saucepan on either side of each piece of string. the trick is not to let the grips touch each other, or the side of the saucepan, also you need to keep the grips down, to keep mine down i pushed them with a metal spoon, but anything should work
ok cheers isn't 10- 20 mins to long. was the saucepan ok afterwards. to use again.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 11:49 Quote
bmxcult2345 wrote:
James-Carey wrote:
bmxcult2345 wrote:

ok cheers isn't 10- 20 mins to long. was the saucepan ok afterwards. to use again.

yeah, it was just boiling water, you cook your vegetables for that time dont you? just make sure it doesnt touch the saucepan, the reason for the time is to make sure all the chemicals can dissolve into the water, and out of the grip

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 11:54 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
bmxcult2345 wrote:
James-Carey wrote:

yeah, it was just boiling water, you cook your vegetables for that time dont you? just make sure it doesnt touch the saucepan, the reason for the time is to make sure all the chemicals can dissolve into the water, and out of the grip
why does it matter if it touches the saucepan.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 11:56 Quote
if you make rubber hot it melts, you touch the saucepan and it will melt onto the saucepan, it can touch it, but not for too long

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 at 11:57 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
if you make rubber hot it melts, you touch the saucepan and it will melt onto the saucepan, it can touch it, but not for too long
ok cool thanks.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009507
Mobile Version of Website